Why become a member? ×

bass and rig

munkonthehill

That is one nice looking bass there. I wish i could afford a Bongo, but a schoolkids bank balance doesnt alow for £1500 basses. I agree with the scratchplate change also, that was one pretty hideous tort plate.

Liam

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1067261' date='Dec 22 2010, 09:56 PM']Ok chaps, just a small update. Due to the most hideous pearloid scratchplate on my bongo, I really wanted to get shot of it.

However after a bit of searching and a bit of a wait,,,,I finally got my replacement scratchplate. In my eye this really makes the bass so much better.

[/quote]

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1067324' date='Dec 22 2010, 11:08 PM']That is one nice looking bass there. I wish i could afford a Bongo, but a schoolkids bank balance doesnt alow for £1500 basses. I agree with the scratchplate change also, that was one pretty hideous tort plate.

Liam[/quote]

your bang on there, god knows what they were thinking dishing these guards out!!!

Hola all.

Ok I just took ownership of a markbass CMD102P combo.

I have been hankering for some markbass gear for a while and jumped at the chance when this came up.

So first feelings on the combo is that its powerful and very articulate. every note rings true and I feel I may have to polish up my technique a tad to be able to use this live, it turns out me as a player may not be good enough to use this amp hahahahaha.

All joking aside of course this is a monster of a combo. I used it for a little while with both the bongo and jag. I was blown away with it funnily more so with the jag even though its half the price of the bongo. Goes to show price aint everything.

I was also foolish enough to crank it whilst I went into another room,,,,,lets just say I may have some structual damage to my spare room with this little light combos awesome voice.

I would consider the ampeg gear I have still my main sound, however I cant wait to take this to rehearsals. I havent had to much time to get tore into the eq and the VLE and VPE dials, so hopefully I will get a cracking sound quite easily.

Does anyone have any EQ settings for rock/blues type sounds to get me started. I will no doubt be playing with its dials for weeks as I always do, but a bit of a starting reference would be cool.

Wee pic as always:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Heres a quick pic and thoughts of my recent bass.

here we have a very ggod condition Status 'The Groove Bass' Now folks this is status 'budget' bass. I honestly cant see where the budget is on this. If this is budget, I cant wait to try their bigboy range.

It has an amazing neck profile (very jazz if you have to compare).

The pickup is something I dont think ive came across yet. I havent gigged or used it at full rehearsal yet, however I feel this delivers an extremely punchy tone and thats only in passive mode. Kick in the active and with the treble on full it gives a Ricky kind of distorted tone and with the bass on full I think I may have lost a few teeth with the vibrations through my headphones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The colour scheme is my ideal setup with the off white (cream?) with black pickguard. The bass is very well weighted and to be frank it kinda feels guitar like as you could play it all night without realising its round your neck.

Cracking bass and this may lead me onto a Status gas run :)

[quote name='RichF' post='1273425' date='Jun 18 2011, 07:33 AM']me like. Agree about the colour scheme - tidy. Try to avoid Status gas. That's an expensive business.[/quote]

hahaha thanks for the heads up Rich. I doubt I will be going down the Status path anytime soon buudy.

I bought this bass for a specific project that just fell through :)

Owell another bass for the collection :)

Ok so had the status at rehearsals along with theric to see how I get on with it.

The first thing you notice is the weight,,,,its as light as a feather.

I was using the studios ampeg 450 head and matching 8x10 cab. The ric was thunderous through it. However I felt the status lacked oomph.

It was very punchy and cut through really well. The treble turned right up did give it a very defined sound and with the bass rolled right it up was still very defined but alsoo quite deep.

I find this would be an ideal bass to compare to a MM Stingray. I didnt really like the stingrays glassy tone. But I have to say this bass has more high end than the MM.

It doesnt really compare at all to the Ric in tone or feel but the price difference on the 2 huge anyway. But after a 3 hour rehearsal I know I wont be going for a back adjustment if I purely use the Status :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1275470' date='Jun 20 2011, 01:06 AM']Ok so had the status at rehearsals along with theric to see how I get on with it.

The first thing you notice is the weight,,,,its as light as a feather.

I was using the studios ampeg 450 head and matching 8x10 cab. The ric was thunderous through it. However I felt the status lacked oomph.

It was very punchy and cut through really well. The treble turned right up did give it a very defined sound and with the bass rolled right it up was still very defined but alsoo quite deep.

I find this would be an ideal bass to compare to a MM Stingray. I didnt really like the stingrays glassy tone. But I have to say this bass has more high end than the MM.

It doesnt really compare at all to the Ric in tone or feel but the price difference on the 2 huge anyway. But after a 3 hour rehearsal I know I wont be going for a back adjustment if I purely use the Status :)[/quote]

Hi. Nice looker. :)

Surprised that it lacked oomph!
The last time I gigged mine, through a Yamaha BT500 and a Hartke 8 x 10, a couple of guys came up after
the gig and wanted to have a look at it - not being that common, they hadn't seen one.
Both said what a great sound it had - a lot of depth and presence.
Assuming that battery is OK, my has Stadium Elite strings on - may be down the the strings that are on it.
You could also try Rotosound RB 40 or RB 45.

Great player, luvverly neck - sure it will be a keeper.

Cheers. :lol:

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1284619' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:10 PM']The bass terror head is getting delivered tomorrow but I couldnt wait to stick up a wee pic of what I have so far..
I cant wait to ge the head and try this 2x12 out.
Roll on fridays rehearsal to try out the full rig :)[/quote]

oh, yes! That will be awesome mate. Looks good, sounds brilliant. Perfect set up.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1284949' date='Jun 28 2011, 08:56 AM']My only worry is if I am happy with this setup and have no more updates,,,,, what will you read on this forum Rich??? Hahahaha :lol:[/quote]

that's hilarious mate there is not a snobaws chance in hell of you settling down to a set up! I could be on here till I'm an old man and you'd still be searching for that perfect bit of kit. But you're right. If you do settle down, I will have little reason to come here. :) :)

So it arrived today folks.

Got it out the box,,,,,,cleared the backroom a bit so I could setup the rig and a bass,,,,,,,,,,,got everything sorted and kicked into a wee couple of runs and riffs. Oh it was nice.

I then went to play along with a few tracks we have been covering..........HOWEVER..............My phone goes and its my pal who has broken down and needs some assistance :) :)

Unbelievable..............So down goes the bass,,,off goes the amp and I pop in the car to help my friend. Finished there and went to my folks for dinner with my family.

All the while my lovely rig is sitting unplayed.

I am now home and its too late to play as my wee lad is in bed :lol:

Roll on tomorrow.