Why become a member? ×

zeller bass

AndyTravis

hi folks, usually an electric player, but ive had a great offer of a zeller double bass.
Thing is i'm convinced it's halfor maybe even quarter size.
I'm going to play indie/country fingerstyle, and this is my alternative to a fretless.
Is it 'acceptable' to use what is effectively a junior instrument? Or will it sound poor?
I know most jazzers and rockabilly folks use a 3/4 anyway, so does it even matter?
Also, whats a decent cheap pickup?

Advice appreciated!

Andy

Proportions wise, the quarter will look short and dumpy, whereas the half will look fine. Halves are usually pretty good players all said and done, anyway. Yes, three quarters are the norm, but the smaller sizes still make the right noises :)

Only thing to watch with a Zeller is the ultra thick front panel. I've seen it on their violins and cellos. For some reason they don't bother to shape the inside of the front, so you get a massively thick panel which traps all the sound. The end result is a much thinner, quieter sound. See what you think to it, anyway :rolleyes:

Rich.

The BP100 is very toppy. Might need a bit of EQing. I use a Shadow SH950 which has been great with no problems. I did use a Realist for a while but that gave up the ghost.

As far as sound is concerned, if you are going to amp the bass I would think size won't matter. It becomes another instrument when it is amped up.

mega advice, thanks for that, i had an old fishman pricelist at work and the bp100 has shot up in price with JHS! Shadow was a thought. I'm going to listen to the bass first, and then decide.
I now think it's 1/2 or 3/4. If i'm honest, the half size may be bet if i'm switching during gigs, it will be amped up 90% of the tim, and mic'ed for recording.
Are Thomastik the most highly regarded strings, as i may change them too.
Andy

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='639337' date='Oct 28 2009, 06:46 PM']Are Thomastik the most highly regarded strings, as i may change them too.
Andy[/quote]
I don't think you can go wrong with Thomastic strings. I've had Spirocores on my DB for a long time now and they have a nice warm tone. DBs are very natural instruments and different strings might sound different on different basses. Pick ups certainly do. My BP100 sounded awful on my cheap Antoni but doesn't sound too bad on my current Stentor. It's just an expensive way to experiment though.

Edited by BassBus

no worries, i'm going to hear the bass, listen to you guys, and then decide, i'm fortunate enough to work in a music shop so although it's still a dear do, it's not as bad as a off the street punter.
I've heard a lot about the thomastik gear, electric and double bass.
It's invaluable feedback i'm getting, so thanks very much.
Keep it coming, i'll post photos when the bass comes home.

What sort of tone are you after? The Innovation Honeys are nice strings, darker and gut like sound yet easy on the fingers.

Also, if you're not playing at loud levels you might try a mic on it instead of a pickup, that will bring out more of the natural sound of the bass.

Been looking [url="http://www.doublebassguide.com/?p=23"]at this[/url] as an alternative to the Realist.

Have fun and welcome to the club :)

yeah, i think the bp100 is of th list, i take it people buy it as it was the start point for all or Fishmans work, hence 'legendary'.
At work we have access to a schertler system for about £350, think thats overkill haha.
In this months performing musician there was a highly rated system for about a hundred quid.
I will be gigging at fairly high levels, so a pickup is required.
If i had £100 to £150 to spend on the pickup alone, to fit myself, what would the be all and end all be?

I second all the "stay away from the BP100 talk" I couldn't for the life of me get a decent tone out of it, I'm fairly sure my DB is made of papier mache, which may not have helped, but it just sounded really thin and reedy all the time! Not kind of nice! I always ended up using a mic through the P.A. absolute waste'o'money!

I'll suggest using Thomastik Spiros, the Mittels (which are the mid gauge). Very focussed pizzicato sound, moderate tension and they sound better the more you break them in. I've had mine for 4 years - I use a Realist to amplify my bass - while it brings out a lot of bottom end it does take away some of the colour in the sound. I'm seriously considering using an electrovoice re20 mic for live work, they sound incredibly good for recording...

Nick

has anyone had experience with te shadow sh965? I'm looking around, and i spotted the B-band b-1 system, but it will end up costing more than the bass, so i don't see the point.
I'll be using the Zeller for a few new tracks as soon as i get it, so i'm getting all excited!
Like i said, i'll take some photos, and post them up here.
Hopefully i'll be able to confirm the model, and age, if it's a solid top, with a decent sound, i may spend a bit more on the pickup/outboard eq.

I'll also have to see if it comes with any accessories of any form.

Going to go to work on arco lessons from the violin and cellist in the band...going to make a real effort with the double bass.
See if i can't get up to some Stanley Clarke upright muck!

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='639571' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:05 PM']At work we have access to a schertler system for about £350, think thats overkill haha.[/quote]

Fitted a Schertler to a 'cello for a customer once - it was stunning. Also supplied them to a couple of classical guitarists as well with equally impressive results. You say "system", worth looking at using the pick-up alone as that's what we did with the 'cello, straight into an SR Jam 150.

Mike

Well, went and got it today...
It used to belong to a School in Middlesborough.

It's A half sizer, which is a relief, i knew it wasn't the ideal 3/4 but i didn't want a 1/4 size.

The Bridge was a bit misaligned (i'm sure it's too big), so first thing i did was loosen the strings enough to 'centre' it.
The Strings are...shabby and Its a bit scratched up, no worry to me, i'll be gigging it plenty.

It is solid top, and looks to be a good few years old. Not the loudest thing in the world, but it has a pleasent enough sound.

So, shopping list...in order

New (longer) End Pin...
Pickup, looking like one of the Shadow ones, although that B-Band is still tempting.
New Thomastik Spirocores.
May buy a new bridge, as i'm not convinced it's meant for this bass and it looks a bit rubbish.
Decent Case (it came without)
Bow.
Possible Outboard Pre

I've taken two photos off my phone, i went to show it to my mate who runs a pub, and it got plenty of stares!

Thanks for the advice so far folks.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='TheRev' post='669435' date='Nov 29 2009, 08:28 PM']I hope you twatted the moron?

Having said that, double basses are essentially firewood waiting to happen. :)[/quote]

To be fair, he phoned me, and admitted it straight away, he could have just said 'i went to the room and it was in bits...'
The bass is fully insured, old for new...i make a new Zeller £900 ish. So that's ok.
I hadn't really had time to get used to it, or play it therefore i wasn't too attatched to it.

He also bought me abut 7 pints when i went to take photos for the insurance.

He did actually say 'i'm glad you haven't broke my nose...' he goes into Panto this week.

Trav