Why become a member? ×

Fan noise

jmsjabb

I have an Ashdown ABM C100 300 EVO bass amp which has a small fan in the back to cool the heat sink on the power supply. This is on all the time and I only use the amp at up to 1/4 power, and I don't ever overdrive it. I am finding the fan noisy and want to try and hide it. If I bought another of the same fan and wired it in series, would this mean both would run at half speed, half noise but the same air movement?
Ant other suggestions?

I have quite a powerful amp and the fan was a little obtrusive for home practice. As it was rack mountable, I fitted it in one of these:

([url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_studiomoebel_desktoprack_5003g.htm"]link[/url]) with some sound insulation materials stuck on the inner surfaces and the front blanked off. Now the noise level is very acceptable in all conditions.

[quote name='gary mac' post='637475' date='Oct 26 2009, 10:57 PM']My last trace combo had a fan that I thought was loud, it used to really irritate when using at home for practice, but was never an issue when gigging, not even between numbers.[/quote]

Sadly, I've never had fan noise between numbers at gigs either.

+1 on the cleaning it out, you'd be amazed how much crap can get in there over time!

I used to have that amp in a combo and as a stand alone head. Yes the fan is audible when you turn it on, but at the levels you're playing at it should disappear as soon as you start playing, you certainly wouldn't notice it in a band situation or a large room/hall. If it really bothers you that much, before doing your twin fan idea (not sure about this as although you'll move the same amount of air, it will still be moving at half the speed, I'm thinking about how windchill works here, i.e. speed=cooling, I could well be wrong), just swap the fan out as it may be just a noisy fan. I used to be an office equipment engineer and we often had to swap out fans because they were noisy. They are after all just cheap and nasty bits of plastic with a tiny motor.

The fan in my Hartke 3500 is crazy loud, plus I think it's the transformer that really hums when it's on. Fortunately I don't use it for quiet rehearsals at home as I have a little combo for that, and the noise soon gets drowned out behind a full band.

It's definitely an amp for live use. I wouldn't use it in a recording studio either.

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='637311' date='Oct 26 2009, 08:36 PM']I have an Ashdown ABM C100 300 EVO bass amp which has a small fan in the back to cool the heat sink on the power supply. This is on all the time and I only use the amp at up to 1/4 power, and I don't ever overdrive it. I am finding the fan noisy and want to try and hide it. If I bought another of the same fan and wired it in series, would this mean both would run at half speed, half noise but the same air movement?
Ant other suggestions?[/quote]

No. The fan is designed to shift a certain amount of air at a certain speed. Halving the speed is likley to knock the air movement down by much more than half as the fan approaches its stall point. You'll reduce the noise though!

The propellor type fans are the least efficient and most noisy. Scroll or centrifugal fans are much better for noise and air movement but are more expensive. Unless the bearings are noisy, replacihng with another propellor fan will solve little.

If you're feeling really clever you could wire a thermostat in line with the fan so it only comes on when needed (ie never when practicing at home!) or even put it on a manual switch. The issue will be finding out the temperature it should kick in at (or remebering to switch the fan on for gigs!)

• 3 weeks later...

Well here we are - I thought t was just me that got annoyed with fan noises!

I've got an Ashdown MAG400 combo - the fan runs all the time - it's not really noisy, but drives me mad for hom use/practice.
Fine at Gig levels.

I've fitted a manual fan swith and just hope to remember to switch it on at gigs!

Stompbox.