Why become a member? ×

good songs to learn?

teen t-shirt

Hey guys!

So here's the story...

Am in a band at school and we have a new setlist, I have been self taught for the first 3 years of my playing and have just begun taking lessons from a very good teacher... and he has placed me at grade 5 as far as my technique and playing stand now of course I was pleased with this but he also pointed out that I had fallen into some bad habits as regards to my technique and we have begun working on this to get me out of the ruts I'm in...

What I ask from you basschatters is knowing the. Level I'm at could you suggest some songs which will challenge me and help me improve as a player...
With regards to the band I mentioned them because none of the songs in the band challenge me to a degree where I'm not comfy with them and this is nice but I'm looking for some to do outside the band to bring me up a few notches...

Thanks

Teen T-shirt...

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='635980' date='Oct 25 2009, 10:57 AM']Hey guys!
So here's the story...

Am in a band at school and we have a new setlist, I have been self taught for the first 3 years of my playing and have just begun taking lessons from a very good teacher... and he has placed me at grade 5 as far as my technique and playing stand now of course I was pleased with this [b]but he also pointed out that I had fallen into some bad habits as regards to my technique [/b]and we have begun working on this to get me out of the ruts I'm in...[/quote]

I'd be wary of any teacher who imposes a "This is the right technique" regime - what's not right for him may be very comfortable & natural for you. There are plenty of excellent players who's techniques are very idiosyncratic & would be frowned at by the "Correct Technique Nazis"..

Sorry I should of mentioned he'd noticed one or two things which id then recognised were restricting me but I understand what you mean I want to keep some of them to ensure I remain unique in my playing but there's being unique and then there's being limited to what I can do because of my technique...

[quote name='RhysP' post='636004' date='Oct 25 2009, 12:32 PM']I'd be wary of any teacher who imposes a "This is the right technique" regime - what's not right for him may be very comfortable & natural for you. There are plenty of excellent players who's techniques are very idiosyncratic & would be frowned at by the "Correct Technique Nazis"..[/quote]

+1 for that. Technique can be a very personal thing. I suppose there are some "goes without saying" problems that can be adressed but go with what is best for you rather than someone else as you could find yourself adopting their bad habits.

Anyway, try and get your mits around Hysteria by Muse if you're into them. Another obvious choice is Rhythm stick by Ian Drury. I wish by Stevie Wonder is a great groove if you you're up for a bit of Funk or if you're a Metal head, Run to the hills by Iron Maiden for an aerobic workout.

Thanks for the suggestions guys some of them I know like hysteria and run to the hills but will definately take a look at some of the funk stuff...

Please keep the suggestions coming though am wanting to expand to every style possible...

And again with regards to the technique thing again am addressing the things that I think are hindering my development but keeping the ones that make my playing unique and all mine!

Thanks all!

[quote name='RhysP' post='636004' date='Oct 25 2009, 11:32 AM']I'd be wary of any teacher who imposes a "This is the right technique" regime - what's not right for him may be very comfortable & natural for you. There are plenty of excellent players who's techniques are very idiosyncratic & would be frowned at by the "Correct Technique Nazis"..[/quote]

Yeah look at Fleas slap technique! his thumb is down not across. doesnt stop him being amazing at slap.

Every time I see the name RhysP it reminds me of my mate called Rhys D who is a snowboarder. anyways...

I'd also be wary of any teacher -or anyone else for that matter-who says you are at Grade whatever.
If you don't actually have the grade you can't realistically say you are at that grade.
I've been professional for 10 years and can play and have taught grade 8 but do not actually have it,
therefore I cannot and don't say that I'm 'grade 8 level'.

I have no idea how hard you want the songs to be cause I dont have a clue about Grade levels.

YYZ by Rush is impossibly hard (for me at least)
Hysteria - Muse is a good one, not too hard to learn but keeping that speed is quite tricky.
Soul to Squeeze - RHCP is my favorite to play, not too hard and its lovely to play.
Aeroplane - RHCP if you wanna get your slap down. great song to play.

I know what you mean about the grade thing but being self taught for the first 3 lessons and only having 4 lessons so far am just taking in what the bloke says and absorbing all I can from him and then using it to my advantage... well am paying the guy am gonna take from him all I can and use it and adapt it for my own...

I don't believe I'm this grade or that... I'm UNIQUE. :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions keep em coming....