Why become a member? ×

18" bass cabs

Bay Splayer

back in the day when i first joined a band i started of with a carlsbro 150 watt head put through a 1 x 18 reflex bin (you know, the one where the speaker is back to front)

very bassy, not much treble, but that suited my sound at the time

am now playing through a hartke 100 watt combo, great for rehearsal and smaller gigs but am thinking of getting a more powerful head and cab/cabs rig

am thinking of getting a 4 x 10 for the top end and possibly a 2 x 15 for bottom, as i have used before and liked a lot, but am also considering a 1 x 18 instead

have read about lots of different combinations on here with 15`s,12`s, 10`s.......but dont remember 18`s being mentioned much (i have the memory of a goldfish though :) )

[quote name='OldGit' post='633041' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:54 PM']You will be amazed at what a modern lightweight little cab can do .. Talk to Alex at Barefaced about your needs and desires (in a bass sound way of course :))[/quote]

Thought lightweight yet big is often more satisfying! :rolleyes:

The main issue with 18" bass guitar cabs is the enclosures are rarely big enough for the 18" to work well - in fact most would perform better with a high quality 15" in the same enclosure.

Alex

The guy at my local jam session had his Hartke 4X10 combo converted to to a 1X18 using the same cab, sounds fine but it is in a pretty big room. I'll get more details, I don't even know if it has a horn installed but there certainly seems to be plenty of top end.

When I was a youngster and the world was all in black and white I bought a homemade 1x18 cab that had been built for use with blues party sound systems. It had a badly panted pop art revolver painted on it on a red, yellow and green background too. Sounded very individual when hooked up to an HH VS100 head with full 'valve sound' engaged. Huge low end.
I quite fancy another one to stick under my Trace 1x15 combo.