Why become a member? ×

Strange Power Socket

endorka

Hi folks,

I've been clearing out a cupboard and came across what I believe is an old guitar amp, the H&H model IC100. I've no idea if it works, as I can't figure out the AC power socket! It looks like this - does anyone have a clue what it is? I'm hoping that my continued clearing will reveal an appropriate plug, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jennifer

It's an old kettle lead socket, or at least I had an old kettle that had one of those round sockets on it. I may still have it somewhere in my loft and will post it if I find it (I'll get back to you once i've had a search around), but as Johnzgerman said it looks damaged and it's probably wise to get it changed to a modern kettle lead socket anyway. If you know someone who's handy with a soldering iron then [url="http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1497"]maplin sell them for 2 quid[/url]

It won't pass a PAT test and if you put it into a tech for a service he won't (shouldn't) work on it unless he also replaces it with an IEC.

They also come in 2 sizes - 14mm and 21mm if you were thinking of buying a plug from ebay to get it running.

I agree with all of the above (and I won't tell you how we used to power up domestic equipment that didn't have a lead!!!) apart from the get it replaced bit. I would decommission the unit (it is not as if it's an old AC30 or Marshall).
If it's been standing in a cupboard you don't need it and H&H weren't "cool" even when the Floyd used them at Pompeii !

Bin it save yourself the grief!

B

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='632204' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:03 AM']I agree with all of the above (and I won't tell you how we used to power up domestic equipment that didn't have a lead!!!) apart from the get it replaced bit. I would decommission the unit (it is not as if it's an old AC30 or Marshall).
If it's been standing in a cupboard you don't need it and H&H weren't "cool" even when the Floyd used them at Pompeii !

Bin it save yourself the grief!

B[/quote]
nowt wrong with H&H amps, very underated in my opinion

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='632727' date='Oct 21 2009, 07:44 PM']+1, and built to last.[/quote]

You can say that again! I have started gigging mine again and its kicking ass. Possibly misleading but mine has a Q/C sign off in marker inside marked 1962!

Thanks for the replies, and for looking for the lead Steve, it would have been good to power up the unit to see if it is working before replacing the socket, but it looks like that's the way to go now. I should be able to solder it myself, will be interesting to hear the result. I'm in the "like H&H" camp; my first proper amp was an H&H bassamp 100, which is still going strong albeit with a crackly pot or two. It has an excellent sound and is surprisingly powerful for 100W. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a gig if one of my other lighter & smaller amps malfunctioned.

Jennifer