Why become a member? ×

That bassist off the T-mobile ads

The Funk

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='629298' date='Oct 18 2009, 11:25 AM']Why did it take getting given some free texts before he could get a band together?[/quote]

Lack of commitment there. Anyway he's playing a 6 string at the end. Obviously doesn't know what he wants to be. :)

Nah, I reckon it's some drama student (who happens to play bass) who's been selected and the ads been written to make him seem to be a happy go lucky cheery chappie and aren't T-mob good to play Jim'll-fix-it for him and everyones happy in the end, but in reality he's in at least one band and doing well for himself. (and good luck to him:)) It's marketing innit. none of these ads are true.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='629305' date='Oct 18 2009, 10:40 AM']Yeah I reckon all these "reality" style adverts are done with actors.

OT : I wouldn't mind slipping it to the geeky bird in the other tmob advert - the one that pulls all those weird faces while the b/f tells us he wants to call his nan.[/quote]

1+on that wee burd, however needs a slap for those stupid faces hahaha.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='629305' date='Oct 18 2009, 10:40 AM']Yeah I reckon all these "reality" style adverts are done with actors.[/quote]
99% of ads showing 'real people' use actors. Actors have that relaxed, glossy patina that eludes the rest of us and can deliver sentences without saying "...Er...".

If it fits with the campaign strategy, they might use 'real' people - e.g the B&Q, NatWest and Asda ads. IIRC, these get round the requirement for an Equity card by using the 'advertiser employee' rule. They'll be the ones with nervous smiles jumping up from behind their counter to help you find the best deal. Just like in real life, eh?

On a miniscule number of Vox-Pop type ads (or Weightwatchers) you'll actually get to see members of the public. They'll be the ones with glazed expressions, sat there mumbling and twitching.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='629441' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:28 PM']I'm feeling quite excited about seeing Josh and his friends form a "Supergroup", in fact I'm almost physically sick with excitement.[/quote]

Yes but he calls it a Superband - that really gets my goat :) - I think I'm taking this far too seriously

Anyway the song on his myspace is called jam with charlie - is this an instructon ?????

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='629815' date='Oct 18 2009, 08:48 PM']I was still disappointed when I found out "Hi I'm Barry Scott" wasn't even called Barry Scott. Why tell us he's Barry Scott when he isn't? It's just bizarre.[/quote]

I too am disappointed by this. "Hi im Barry Scott and i am a F****n Liar". :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know Josh really well actually, I grew up on the same street as him and we've been mates ever since. He's a lovely bloke and a decent bass player too. All the advert stuff is a bit corporate, (but how could it not be- its a major mobile phone company's advertising campaign!) which makes their efforts to produce a folksy, homespun style add feel a bit forced, but Josh is really very much himself in the ads.

The story with the ads is that he was walking down Brick lane with his bass on the way to a sound check for a gig with his band (they are called Alphabet Backwards and seem to have had no exposure out of this, which must be annoying for them!) and was stopped by the production company and asked on camera what he'd do with free texts blah blah blah. The stuff about a superband is just the sort of thing he would have said rather than been told to say, and I know a few of our mutual friends have been involved with it. In fact, I got a facebook message about it myself, which was weird as I was expecting a text! :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='629305' date='Oct 18 2009, 09:40 AM']Yeah I reckon all these "reality" style adverts are done with actors.

OT : I wouldn't mind slipping it to the geeky bird in the other tmob advert - the one that pulls all those weird faces while the b/f tells us he wants to call his nan.[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
The one that says "i'd be stuck to my mobile?" :)