Why become a member? ×

fender squier 'JV'

ivor fender

Hi

I have a fender squier Precision Bass - Serial Number JV11324 - sunburst.

This was bought in the early 80's when our bass player left and I had to play bass instead for our pub band (instead of guitar).

The Bass in in pretty good condition and has only been played at home on rarae occasions as I've reverted back to 6 string lead.

I understand the JV versions are better quality than more recent versions but would anyone know what this would be worth if i deceided to sell?

[quote name='ivor fender' post='628840' date='Oct 17 2009, 04:39 PM']Hi

This was bought in the early 80's when our bass player left and I had to play bass instead for our pub band (instead of guitar).

The Bass in in pretty good condition and has only been played at home on rarae occasions as I've reverted back to 6 string lead.

I understand the JV versions are better quality than more recent versions but would anyone know what this would be worth if i deceided to sell?[/quote]

Be prepared for the breadth of suggestions you'll get. :) There'll be the prospective [u]buyers[/u] who'll try and suggest £200, the [u]realists[/u] who'll say £300 - £400 (depending upon condition) and then there'll be the [u]owners[/u] of JV's or the strangest group... the [u]spoilers[/u], who just want to ensure someone doesn't get something that they can't afford, saying that they reckon £500 - £1000 is more realistic. You'll also get the links to various eBay JV basses (I'd be surprised if someone [likely a collector type] doesn't link to a known 'Joker' in Germany) but the most honest way to do it is to look at past completed sales on Basschat (use the search function), that should give you a realistic price.

Oh and I'll give you £100 for it if you like. :lol: :rolleyes:

Yes the JV squiers are rated as some of the best of Fender's offerings, regardless of where they're made. I've seen chancers on Ebay asking over a grand for mint versions but you'll see allot of threads on here regarding ridiculous prices some people ask for vintage instruments. I've seen one or two for around the 300 mark if they're well looked after and unmodified.

I paid £350 for mine and it's a bit beaten up and has a DiMarzip pickup in it. To be honest it's such a good bass I'd have happily paid more for it! I think about £400/450 for a decent condition/unmodified one is about the going rate.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='628850' date='Oct 17 2009, 04:53 PM']Oh and I'll give you £100 for it if you like. :lol: :)[/quote]
Ignore him - I'll give you £150! :rolleyes:

Head over to [url="http://www.21frets.com"]http://www.21frets.com[/url] for all the JV-related information known to man, gathered in one convenient website. There's also a very useful forum too, most of the info is guitar-centric but JV basses are covered, and much of it applies to both.

Any chance of lots of hi-res pics?

Jon.

I picked up my well-gigged but original JV '57 P-Bass for £300 in Darlington a while back, and consider it a bargain, especially as it's become my main gigging bass- my US Jazz has been left at home sulking on several occasions recently! When I first brought it home, I A/B'd it against the '79 US P-Bass I also owned at the time (a really nice player itself), and instantly decided to sell the 'real thing'! The JV absolutely smoked it...

I'd personally pay no more than £450/500 for a tip-top JV P-Bass, and £600 for an absolutely A1 JV Jazz myself...

Oooh very cynical WH. (true though :))
To coin the cliche it's worth what people will pay for it and there are (or at least were) some people out there that will pay 700-800 for a good one, although I haven't seen one sell at this kind of money for 6 months now. If you have more scruples then 300-400 is about right.

[quote name='ivor fender' post='628840' date='Oct 17 2009, 04:39 PM']Hi

I understand the JV versions are better quality than more recent versions but would anyone know what this would be worth if i deceided to sell?[/quote]

Does your JV have a large 'Fender' or 'Squier' logo on the headstock by the way? The Fender-logo'd models belong to the initial production run, and command a premium. In reality, there's no other difference in spec between these and the more common Squier logo'd JV instruments though- just that some buyers would prefer not to be seen playing a 'budget' bass, and will pay more for the different sticker!

:rolleyes:

Guys many many thanks for all the comments (and the offers ha ha!!) I've followed the link to the JV site for more info - I really had never even heard of JV until entering the serial number on line today!!!!

I'll upload some photos tomorrow - ps just found an identical model on e-bay being advertrised for £800 - maybe one of those crazy oweners you mentioned?!!!!! :)

Nice old basses, but £800?? No way, although I've seen them going for not much less than that in mint and original condition. In [i]my[/i] opinion, they're worth around £400. Prices for older gear are just going mad, or rather the people paying those prices are.

[quote name='Rayman' post='628966' date='Oct 17 2009, 07:28 PM']Nice old basses, but £800?? No way, although I've seen them going for not much less than that in mint and original condition. In [i]my[/i] opinion, they're worth around £400. Prices for older gear are just going mad, or rather the people paying those prices are.[/quote]

I was lucky with my two, both good prices and in good condition. A sensible price range for these would be between £350 and £600 depending on condition; of course I'd want £900 each for my two!!! The same thing can be said about many basses; I've got an '83 USA Fender Precision Standard and it cost £249 (not much more than what a JV would cost back then!) and these are going for around a grand which is a lot of money! Wal basses used to cost £640 back in the mid 80s and they too go for silly money although this might change now that they are being built again. My Dad recalls working in London back in the early 1970s and there were hundreds of 1950s and 60's Fenders going for peanuts as there was no vintage market - people wanted new gear, not old stuff! How times have changed eh?

At the end of the day any instrument is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!

Nick

Please see attached pics of my JV '57 Precision Bass that I've decided to sell to a good home.

Any advice on best way to advertise / go about this appreciated

Thanks again everyone for taking the trouble to comment!!

[attachment=34688:Copy_of_...Bass_025.jpg][attachment=34689:VJ___59_P_Bass_004.jpg][attachment=34690
:VJ___59_P_Bass_006.jpg][attachment=34691:VJ___59_P_Bass_008.jpg][attachment=34692:VJ___59_P_Bass_015
.jpg][attachment=34693:VJ___59_P_Bass_016.jpg][attachment=34694:VJ___59_P_Bass_017.jpg][attachment=34
695:VJ___59_P_Bass_018.jpg][attachment=34696:VJ___59_P_Bass_020.jpg][attachment=34697:VJ___59_P_Bass_
021.jpg][attachment=34698:VJ___59_P_Bass_028.jpg][attachment=34699:VJ___59_P_Bass_036.jpg]

[quote name='ivor fender' post='629756' date='Oct 18 2009, 08:52 PM']Please see attached pics of my JV '57 Precision Bass that I've decided to sell to a good home.

Any advice on best way to advertise / go about this appreciated

Thanks again everyone for taking the trouble to comment!!

[attachment=34688:Copy_of_...Bass_025.jpg][attachment=34689:VJ___59_P_Bass_004.jpg][attachment=34690
:VJ___59_P_Bass_006.jpg][attachment=34691:VJ___59_P_Bass_008.jpg][attachment=34692:VJ___59_P_Bass_01
.jpg][attachment=34693:VJ___59_P_Bass_016.jpg][attachment=34694:VJ___59_P_Bass_017.jpg][attachment=3
695:VJ___59_P_Bass_018.jpg][attachment=34696:VJ___59_P_Bass_020.jpg][attachment=34697:VJ___59_P_Bass
_
021.jpg][attachment=34698:VJ___59_P_Bass_028.jpg][attachment=34699:VJ___59_P_Bass_036.jpg][/quote]

That's near identical to my one although it now has a DiMarzio P and a Schaller J in the bridge position. It's not in as good nick either. Are you sure you want to sell this lovely instrument????

Nice bass, I paid 650 for my one.
Possibly more than I should have, but it is by far the best bass I've ever played, in perfect condition and has a large Fender logo.
I've played 90's CIJ, current US, current USA vintage reissue and a few other random and my JV wins hands down in terms of feel and tone. 'The' P bass tone you hear on your old records, it does that.

Don't get into too much of a rush to sell this and start with a decent starting price offer it outside basschat, be patient and see what happens.

[quote name='Higgie' post='628863' date='Oct 17 2009, 05:12 PM']I paid £350 for mine and it's a bit beaten up and has a DiMarzip pickup in it. To be honest it's such a good bass I'd have happily paid more for it! I think about £400/450 for a decent condition/unmodified one is about the going rate.[/quote]

A bit beaten up!!!! If I knew you'd have paid more then Id have charged you more!!!!
My biggest regret bass wise was selling this, If you can overlook the squire label its one hell of a bass.

Glad you are still enjoying my pride and joy Higgie

God bless you

[quote name='Higgie' post='628863' date='Oct 17 2009, 05:12 PM']I paid £350 for mine and it's a bit beaten up and has a DiMarzip pickup in it. To be honest it's such a good bass I'd have happily paid more for it! I think about £400/450 for a decent condition/unmodified one is about the going rate.[/quote]

A bit beaten up!!!! If I knew you'd have paid more then Id have charged you more!!!!
My biggest regret bass wise was selling this, If you can overlook the squire label its one hell of a bass.

God bless you

Just wanted to flag - a 1983 JV has just gone for £615 on eBay

There's 3 days to go for mine guys so please take a look and place a bid if you're genuinely interested - I'm asking £625 and it's a 1982 model

I've really appreciated everyone's comments and advice - what a great site Basschat is!

[quote name='4 candles' post='631764' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:28 PM']A bit beaten up!!!! If I knew you'd have paid more then Id have charged you more!!!!

God bless you[/quote]

It really is my secret weapon bass! I use my Stingrays because they seem to fit my band a little bit better with the stuff we do, but any chance I get to play this bad boy I do!