Why become a member? ×

Midget badge orientation

alexclaber

Simple question - which way round should the badge on the Midget go? I've done the first two like mini versions of the Compact. However this means when stacked on a Compact that the badge is sideways. Alternatively the badge could go sideways on the Midget (but does this mean people will use it sideways instead of vertically? which I don't want happening) so that when stacked on a Compact it's the right way round. But then if you stack two Midgets both badges will be sideways. Aarghhh!!!

Suggestions/votes please!

Alex

2 logo's at 90 degrees to each other?

Redesign your logo so it has rotational symmetry?

The rotating logo is not a bad idea, although I reckon most people won't be bothered too much about sideways logos anyways. I'm not, but then again I have low standards :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='627653' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:55 AM']Can you affix it at a single point, anchoring the left of the badge to the top-left corner of the grille? Then people can swing it around to their desired angle. A bit like the logo on the disc tray of the PlayStation 2.[/quote]

Unfortunately not - the way the badge is affixed helps damp grill vibrations, plus any moveable mount could rattle.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='627649' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:52 AM']....Simple question - which way round should the badge on the Midget go?....[/quote]
Where are you going to put the feet? If the feet are on the bottom then the badge should be placed in the same orientation.

[quote name='chris_b' post='627728' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:59 AM']Where are you going to put the feet? If the feet are on the bottom then the badge should be placed in the same orientation.[/quote]

I'm putting the feet on the bottom and on the side opposite the handle, and doing the same on all future Compacts - more convenient for carrying them.

Alex

[quote name='pete_the_beat' post='627804' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:58 AM']How about attaching the badge like tc. electronic does with their logo.
[/quote]

I think this is a really classy design and i dont know why. I think its almost like saying "Yeah, we have a badge, but we're gonna put it out the way because we dont [i]need[/i] to shout about it"

Seriously, I think that the badge should go in the standard orientation, and don't worry about it being on its side when people stack them. After all, you've already lost the symmetry from having the port running up the side.

Can you just give people the option at the point of placing their order?

S.P.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='627767' date='Oct 16 2009, 12:31 PM']....I'm putting the feet on the bottom and on the side opposite the handle, and doing the same on all future Compacts....[/quote]
I think the badge placement looks right on the cab in your avatar.

[quote name='MythSte' post='627915' date='Oct 16 2009, 02:27 PM']Just out of interest Alex, what would be the effect of placing any of your cabs on the side? Ive been tempted to put my vintage on its side just to look even more old skool...[/quote]
I imagine Alex is choking on his cornflakes at the very throught of it... :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='627915' date='Oct 16 2009, 02:27 PM']Just out of interest Alex, what would be the effect of placing any of your cabs on the side? Ive been tempted to put my vintage on its side just to look even more old skool...[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=398118"]See here...[/url]

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='627928' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:44 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=398118"]See here...[/url][/quote]

Ahh thanks! So if i plug the ports i wont lose all my funk and i'll be able to put it on its side? Awesome... :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='627908' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:19 PM']Seriously, I think that the badge should go in the standard orientation, and don't worry about it being on its side when people stack them. After all, you've already lost the symmetry from having the port running up the side.

Can you just give people the option at the point of placing their order?

S.P.[/quote]

I agree entirely with S.P.

As you know Alex, I've got a Compact that I use with a LMII. I'm very happy with the tone of this set-up but I sometimes push the amp to clipping volume at 8 ohms so I'm thinking about adding either another Compact or a Midget. I know that 2 Compacts would be amazing but for various reasons the Compact/Midget pairing is very appealing. If I go down this route I would use either the Compact alone or stacked with the Midget, but I wouldn't ever use the Midget alone - there seems little point as the Compact is itself so portable.

I'm really not bothered if the Midget logo is vertical; in fact, I think if it was horizontal when stacked on top of the Compact it would look a bit lob-sided. More importantly though, I'm a bit concerned that you'd prefer the Midget to be used vertically. Is that because of the co-axial tweeter dispersion (if fitted)? I can't see anyone stacking a Compact/Midget that way, especially as the dimensions suit horizontal stacking.

While I'm on, is it possible to fit a fabric grill to the Midget?

There's a picture of the Compact/Midget stack on the S.E. Bass Bash Photo Thread. Did anyone try it out at the Bash? I'd be very interested to hear some feedback on the pairing.

[quote name='mikek' post='628086' date='Oct 16 2009, 04:45 PM']More importantly though, I'm a bit concerned that you'd prefer the Midget to be used vertically. Is that because of the co-axial tweeter dispersion (if fitted)? I can't see anyone stacking a Compact/Midget that way, especially as the dimensions suit horizontal stacking.[/quote]

No, the Midget will work fine any way round - I just don't want to encourage people to sit such a small cab on its side on the floor - great for any rodents at your gig, not so good for humans to hear!

[quote name='mikek' post='628086' date='Oct 16 2009, 04:45 PM']While I'm on, is it possible to fit a fabric grill to the Midget?[/quote]

Yes, it certainly is. I haven't managed to work out how to combine a fabric grill and the coax tweeter though - if someone really really wants that combination I'm sure I'll find a solution...

[quote name='mikek' post='628086' date='Oct 16 2009, 04:45 PM']There's a picture of the Compact/Midget stack on the S.E. Bass Bash Photo Thread. Did anyone try it out at the Bash? I'd be very interested to hear some feedback on the pairing.[/quote]

We did give it a whirl - I liked it, but I would say that! It didn't seem as 'nice' as the two Compacts but I think it would really perform once there's a noisy guitar holder present.

Alex

45 degrees Diagonally across a corner?

The W on my Warwick 211pro is oriented so when I stand it on end it looks like an E or a 3 depending on which end I stand it on. No one from the audience has ever complained, but then I was thinking of respraying the grill to obscure it.

Edited by TimR