Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Percy Jones

hatori

Ive just been watching Percy Jones bass exploration on youtube.
It appears that he is playing an Ibanez through a Hartke rig and I think the tone he's getting is brilliant.
Its pretty near an upright sound (to my ears anyway) does anyone on here know much about his gear i.e. whether he has modded the Ibanez or maybe using a different pre amp. Also I believe he's using flats.
Can anyone shed some light.

Its all in his fingers. I have heard him on Warwicks and Wals and he always sounds like Percy Jones. Marvellous player.

I heard that he did use an effect that increased the flange effect as you increased the pitch of a note. He built it himself I believe and it is not commercially available. What do I know.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='626041' date='Oct 14 2009, 02:29 PM']Its all in his fingers.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. On the Ibanez he uses the piezo pickup (old AFR model). That partly accounts for his acoustic sound. I doubt if he uses flats.
I don't think his current setup stands out as well as his Wal in a band setting, however.

As for his own music, unfortunately he is still making that late 70's early 80's brand of fusion music- you know - the sort that includes nasty midi instruments: chiffy flutes and bells with chorus on. And he nearly always has a terrible guitarist in tow.

It sounds dreadfully dated to my ears. He's best in other contexts IMO.

Always been a fan of Mr Jones.... although I get what you mean about dated fusion!... :)
normally I'm not a great fan of 'widdly fusion w@nking' but I've always liked his 'choice of notes'... a real dark edge that appeals to me.....

He has an appalling website.... but there is some good information in the interview....

[url="http://www.percyjones.net/"]Percy Jones[/url]

Here we all come out the woodwork.....The Percy 'Sonic Explorer' Jones fanclub members.

I have listened to him since the mid 70's and have to agree with Spoonbung regarding the 70's and 80's Fusion sound.
Probably one of the most underated bass players ever and probably due to him doing 'his own thing'
He really annoys me at times shifting from pure brilliance to 'wot the f**k is that all about' but I guess that is the enigma that is Percy Jones.

I think his Wal sounds sweeter and less gutteral than the Ibanez , why did he change ? probably because Bilbo bought one :)

This is great though ....off the wall....and in his own little world...

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='626848' date='Oct 15 2009, 12:45 PM']Here we all come out the woodwork.....The Percy 'Sonic Explorer' Jones fanclub members.

I have listened to him since the mid 70's and have to agree with Spoonbung regarding the 70's and 80's Fusion sound.
Probably one of the most underated bass players ever and probably due to him doing 'his own thing'
He really annoys me at times shifting from pure brilliance to 'wot the f**k is that all about' but I guess that is the enigma that is Percy Jones.

I think his Wal sounds sweeter and less gutteral than the Ibanez , why did he change ? probably because Bilbo bought one :)

This is great though ....off the wall....and in his own little world...

[/quote]

Yep, I'm another. Percy's the business. I also like this vid too!

[quote name='Rodders' post='627036' date='Oct 15 2009, 04:06 PM']I'm a fan of his I discovered him when my Dad played me some Brand X and then I bought all the Tunnels albums[/quote]

Bloody hell that comment makes me feel old ! Which I am of course.

Having just listened to 'Product' from 1979 I have been reminded of John Giblin.....a name that doesn't crop up much on the forum. More musical than Percy but less energetic and 'safer' but what a bassist.

He wrote this one with Percy.....

[quote name='Prosebass' post='627297' date='Oct 15 2009, 08:12 PM']Bloody hell that comment makes me feel old ! Which I am of course.

Having just listened to 'Product' from 1979 I have been reminded of John Giblin.....a name that doesn't crop up much on the forum. More musical than Percy but less energetic and 'safer' but what a bassist.

He wrote this one with Percy.....

[/quote]

Wal to Wal thingy :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='627422' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:39 PM']Sorry but that sounds like Nigel Tufnel's solo where he bows a guitar with a violin. The one Brand X record I heard I liked, but that is foul-sounding.[/quote]

Nay , Nay and thrice Nay........ just different

Whilst we are exploring fretless in this thread how about a bit of Chris Gartner

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='627480' date='Oct 15 2009, 11:51 PM']Nay , Nay and thrice Nay........ just different

Whilst we are exploring fretless in this thread how about a bit of Chris Gartner

[/quote]

Oooooo, I haven't come across him before. Interesting style. I like the way he hangs around in the sub notes then surfaces occasionally for extended slides and growls. In that way he has similarities with Mr Jones. Great sounding bass too. I might have to Google him now.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='627616' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:15 AM']Ah, I remember you playing 'April' at one of the bassbashes, Paul.[/quote]

Well trying at least, same notes I suppose... :)

Chris Gartner is an interesting guy , accomplished multi talented musician , been in some mad bands like 'Look People'
Have a look at his myspace page.

[quote name='Davo-London' post='630952' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:34 PM']Spoombung

I see where you get your sound from now ...

Davo[/quote]

That's good investigative work there, Detective Davo. He was a big influence - the original idea when I started playing all those years ago was to condense some of the Jones language into a 3- minute energized post-punk format (an idea that was considered an act of Punk treachery among my peers until they saw how it all came together in Stump - then it was all [i]Wow, where did that come from?[/i], etc, etc). Since then the objectives, techniques, and context have changed and I've moved away from the ideas I had in my twenties.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='630853' date='Oct 19 2009, 10:24 PM']You're far too modest, Paul. I thought you sounded rather accomplished. I was intimidated, to be honest.[/quote]

Cheers mate....you doth flatter me !

Heres another from John Giblins bass

Killer tone
Nice Double Bass
Kate Bush...........nuff said

Happy days

[quote name='Spoombung' post='631663' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:02 PM'][color="#FF00FF"][size=4]*CRINGE*[/size][/color]

You've gone too far now, Paul.[/quote]Cringe? Maybe it sounds like stucco wallpaper now after 30 years but when I was 13, Kate Bush was responsible for more "fossilized" tissue paper under my bed than was healthy.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='631663' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:02 PM'][color="#FF00FF"][size=4]*CRINGE*[/size][/color]

You've gone too far now, Paul.[/quote]

Point taken.....thought that clip would at least provoke some comment. It is a great fretless tone, obviously some chorus or double tracking on it. I'm trying to justify it now and there is none ...sorry... :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='631691' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:18 PM']Cringe? Maybe it sounds like stucco wallpaper now after 30 years but when I was 13, Kate Bush was responsible for more "fossilized" tissue paper under my bed than was healthy.[/quote]

Glad you said that, I just thought of saying it...