Why become a member? ×

Shuker Jazz "Jaffa Cake" Bass

thedontcarebear

No. I meant having the whole neck (obviously not the fingerboard) sprayed up to mach the body - not just the front of the headstock.

Of course it's a matter of taste, but I always think that basses where the neck doesn't match the body for colour look really strange. I can understand why Fender did it originally because it was a cost-saving exercise and they could mach up any neck with any body, but I'm surprised that no one who's having a bass custom made ever seems to consider it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='eude' post='686213' date='Dec 16 2009, 12:12 PM']Yup, Jon makes an awesome Jazz Bass!
I still feel bad about parting with mine, it was the easiest playing 4 string I've ever played, but Jazz Basses just ain't my sound...

It's looking great mate :)

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]
Can't wait to see the final product! Orange always reminds me of Tony Levin....

[quote name='eude' post='686213' date='Dec 16 2009, 12:12 PM']Yup, Jon makes an awesome Jazz Bass!
I still feel bad about parting with mine, it was the easiest playing 4 string I've ever played, but Jazz Basses just ain't my sound...

It's looking great mate :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

And its currently in its case gathering dust for the next 4 months :)

The Jaffa is looking freeking sweet btw. I adore maple necks.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='696397' date='Dec 30 2009, 03:26 PM']And its currently in its case gathering dust for the next 4 months :)

The Jaffa is looking freeking sweet btw. I adore maple necks.[/quote]

Shame dude,
that you away for your season then?
I think I'll be off to Canada for a wee bit boarding this year.

Have fun mate!

Eude

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='peted' post='723788' date='Jan 25 2010, 06:24 AM']That's nearly as lurid as one of Waynepunkdude's custom paint jobs :lol: You're not going to be able to shy into the back of the stage when playing that one. Looking fab already.[/quote]

I concur, it's a cracking looking bass so far! :)
I really love Jon's downsized take on the Jazz Bass shape, I reckon it's near enough perfect!

Makes me miss my ol' Shuker J a little too :rolleyes:

You must be right excited!

Eude

It's cool to see it coming together, I'm strangely not too fussed at the moment though, when I got a custom amp built before, and then my ACG I was really excited all the time about it, but I think I am getting old and boring now, haha.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='685003' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:50 PM']No. I meant having the whole neck (obviously not the fingerboard) sprayed up to mach the body - not just the front of the headstock.

Of course it's a matter of taste, but I always think that basses where the neck doesn't match the body for colour look really strange. I can understand why Fender did it originally because it was a cost-saving exercise and they could mach up any neck with any body, but I'm surprised that no one who's having a bass custom made ever seems to consider it.[/quote]
bringing up an old post, but i dislike the feel of a painted neck finish, gloss or satin. I prefer unfinished wood (oiled - like musicman necks)

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='839495' date='May 17 2010, 09:07 AM']Still no news, or reply to e-mails, I'm sure one day I'll hear from him though.[/quote]
I got a reply from Jon at 19:36 last night from an email I sent on the 14th, so hopefully you should get something soon. Probably worth giving him a call to make sure your emails are getting through.

I had one this morning waiting in my inbox, looks like it was from last night too. He said he would send some pictures tomorrow evening, which I assume is tonight, and that it should be ready for early June, I go Canada this weekend for a few weeks, so hopefully when I'm back, it will be ready.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='840613' date='May 18 2010, 10:36 AM']I had one this morning waiting in my inbox, looks like it was from last night too. He said he would send some pictures tomorrow evening, which I assume is tonight, and that it should be ready for early June, I go Canada this weekend for a few weeks, so hopefully when I'm back, it will be ready.[/quote]

Did he say which June? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='840880' date='May 18 2010, 02:20 PM']Did he say which June? :)[/quote]

I'm just assuming 2012.

I'm still waiting for a receipt for the deposit that he's been promising me for god knows how long, haha.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='840948' date='May 18 2010, 03:00 PM']I'm just assuming 2012.

I'm still waiting for a receipt for the deposit that he's been promising me for god knows how long, haha.[/quote]

Don't worry. The second you strap it on and plug it in all this stuff will not matter one jot.

I do hope that yours is ready early June for my own selfish needs. I need Jon's time freed up to finish my own bass when I go up there on the 18th :) I've let him know that my intention is to collect a completed bass that day.

I got an email at 19.40 last night lol :)

must been getting it all over with in one go... Looks like my second shuker is ready, just settling over the weekend then being posted to me next week :rolleyes:

not rubbing it in too much, cuz mine is nowhere as special as you guys's... although check out the neck construction :lol:

[quote name='peted' post='840570' date='May 18 2010, 10:01 AM']I got a reply from Jon at 19:36 last night from an email I sent on the 14th, so hopefully you should get something soon. Probably worth giving him a call to make sure your emails are getting through.[/quote]