Why become a member? ×

Which lightweight head

TDM

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to get a nice small rig to replace my current one. The LMII, GB Shuttles and the Ashdown Little Giant are the main contenders. I've played a Markbass combo before and I must admit they sound amazing, but they're pretty expensive. I'd like to get a small head and a light cab so I can have the amp in the gig bag (left hand) and the cab in the right hand.

Does Ashdown build quality still suck? Will the savings now cause more problems further down the road?

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='crez5150' post='620848' date='Oct 8 2009, 06:35 PM']HAve you looked at the MB2 from GK...... I tried the Markbass & Genz and the GK was the one I bought.... much bigger/warmer sound to it[/quote]
Plus the one for the GK head (see my sig and other threads on this) - super impressed with it (500w of goodness into 4Ohms :) )

Good luck with the search

Ian

[quote name='wayne58' post='621070' date='Oct 8 2009, 10:06 PM']TC electronics RH 450 is well worth a look at, can't fault them.[/quote]

I'm loving mine at the moment, Fair enough its a little more than the others mentioned but when you take into account the DI (Best one I've used by a mile) the Compressor ( so even across All the strings ) and the Tuner and add to that the Amp its just a superb unit- even the gig bag is only £20 (take note Markbass)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='620970' date='Oct 8 2009, 08:35 PM']What about Flanker's Tec Puma head that's up for sale here - bet that's a cracker.[/quote]

I had a go on this when I was trying out his Barefaced Compact. I've been using a MB SA450 for quite a while and the Puma really turned my head with the amount of warmth in the tone.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='623879' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:24 PM']I had a go on this when I was trying out his Barefaced Compact. I've been using a MB SA450 for quite a while and the Puma really turned my head with the amount of warmth in the tone.[/quote]

Really? All the stuff I've heard suggested this was ultra hifi, and not as warm as the MB stuff, thats really interesting!

51m0n

Don't know who said that but I think the Puma has the fattest tone of the lightweight heads I have tried.

Here is an early impression that KJung (of Talkbass fame) had when he picked up his Puma500.

[quote]The Puma reminds me A LOT of my old Glock Heartrock. The word 'creamy' comes to mind for me (as it did with the Heartrock/Soul). It's not so much a 'bap bap bap' tight, transparent tone like the LMII as a very fat, deep, organic low end, very even mids, and a very, very hi fi, clean top end.[/quote]

I've withdrawn the amp from sale for now because I bought a Aggie GS112 which is great value and sounds great with the BagEnd too,so I don't have to sell the amp for now. I'll see how it sounds over the next few weeks and make a decision then.