Why become a member? ×

A pleasant surprise

Gust0o

I managed to beat an escape from the office for a rare stroll along the river... only I managed to find myself drawn to Banks music, for a quick browse.

I'm pretty glad I did.

As per usual, I received the typical patter - how's the day; business good; is that yet another tie; cold out - and the lad got to chatting about what he'd had in on the last delivery. MIM Ps, MIM Js... including a stunner in white. Tempted?

No thanks. I can't imagine myself playing Anthrax covers in my games room on that thing. It'd be like like marrying Keeley Hawes. It'd be great, she's beautiful... but, sooner or later, she's going to find out I'm an idiot.

Not getting good vibes on that, laughs the lad, but we did get some Vibes in - cue another stunner in white, with a tort plate. Well, I had time to kill, so time was killed.

I was very impressed, all told. I don't know what I was expecting. I've seen some great comments on here about these, versus previous Squier and Fender efforts - sound and tone, both great; look and feel, great; price, great!

I'd almost prepared my defence for bringing it home. "Well, Mrs Gus, it's just like marrying Keeley Hawes... and then she found out I was an idiot; so anyway, this was a bargain."

Glad I took that lunch break now!

No - not this time.

Sadly, I work in the same team as Mrs Gus - it would prove very difficult to sneak it into the office, and back home to the games room, without somehow alerting her. She is, after all, a devious beast!

Bloody tempted though. That was very nice.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='619497' date='Oct 7 2009, 12:46 PM']As per usual, I received the typical patter - how's the day; business good; is that yet another tie; cold out - and the lad got to chatting about what he'd had in on the last delivery. MIM Ps, MIM Js... including a stunner in white. Tempted?

No thanks. I can't imagine myself playing Anthrax covers in my games room on that thing. It'd be like like marrying Keeley Hawes. It'd be great, she's beautiful... but, sooner or later, she's going to find out I'm an idiot.[/quote]

This is going to find itself in the basschat famous quotes thread!

They're very nice basses... played one recently at my LMS back to back with a RW Jazz (Sunburst), the RW was great but the CV blew me away... I liked the gloss neck... pity about the under guard routing but it would make a great project bass - Stacked knobs, vintage tuners, covers, matching headstock. Lovely.

It was really a fantastic example. I get nervous holding nice things - I am aware that, stripped of suit and tie, I revert to being some kind of neanderthal. Whilst I love my basses, they are very definitely players, not trophies. Anything that can't cope with soaking a pint up isn't going to work.

It was shiny, new, and felt good. A little hard sell would have killed me.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='619497' date='Oct 7 2009, 12:46 PM']I managed to beat an escape from the office for a rare stroll along the river... only I managed to find myself drawn to Banks music, for a quick browse.

I'm pretty glad I did.

As per usual, I received the typical patter - how's the day; business good; is that yet another tie; cold out - and the lad got to chatting about what he'd had in on the last delivery. MIM Ps, MIM Js... including a stunner in white. Tempted?

No thanks. I can't imagine myself playing Anthrax covers in my games room on that thing. It'd be like like marrying Keeley Hawes. It'd be great, she's beautiful... but, sooner or later, she's going to find out I'm an idiot.

Not getting good vibes on that, laughs the lad, but we did get some Vibes in - cue another stunner in white, with a tort plate. Well, I had time to kill, so time was killed.

I was very impressed, all told. I don't know what I was expecting. I've seen some great comments on here about these, versus previous Squier and Fender efforts - sound and tone, both great; look and feel, great; price, great!

I'd almost prepared my defence for bringing it home. "Well, Mrs Gus, it's just like marrying Keeley Hawes... and then she found out I was an idiot; so anyway, this was a bargain."

Glad I took that lunch break now![/quote]
Well, I read all that and I was left with a vision of Keeley Hawes with a tort plate - not unpleasant I thought. :)

So by "white with red tort guard", you mean you were playing a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass? Or have I totally lost the thinly-veiled plot?

Edit: Okay, I've just spotted the subtitle, LOL!

Yes, they are amazing basses for the money. I'm still thinking of getting one. I've said several times on here that I visited Alex at the Gallery in Camden a few weeks ago & the CV Squier Jazz sounded and played a lot better than all the Sadowskys I tried. Go figure!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='620062' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:47 PM']So by "white with red tort guard", you mean you were playing a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass? Or have I totally lost the thinly-veiled plot?

Edit: Okay, I've just spotted the subtitle, LOL!

Yes, they are amazing basses for the money. I'm still thinking of getting one. I've said several times on here that I visited Alex at the Gallery in Camden a few weeks ago & the CV Squier Jazz sounded and played a lot better than all the Sadowskys I tried. Go figure![/quote]

Just to add to my brother's comments - they are terrific basses - I've gigged mine and it does the business! Rich - go and buy one sire!

Nick

In addition to my previous post on this thread, I picked up on of these today. Actually, it was the fifth one I'd tried and it was the same as all the others. Excellent flawless finish, great playability and great sound.

I also pitched it up against one of the new MIM standards in Lake Placid blue with a maple board. The MIM was a nice enough thing, but it couldn't get near the CV in terms of playability, finish or sound. The MIM bass was resoundingly dull and not a patch on the Chinese instrument.

Review of the CV vs my American Standard in the reviews section.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='622693' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:16 PM']In addition to my previous post on this thread, I picked up on of these today. Actually, it was the fifth one I'd tried and it was the same as all the others. Excellent flawless finish, great playability and great sound.

I also pitched it up against one of the new MIM standards in Lake Placid blue with a maple board. The MIM was a nice enough thing, but it couldn't get near the CV in terms of playability, finish or sound. The MIM bass was resoundingly dull and not a patch on the Chinese instrument.

Review of the CV vs my American Standard in the reviews section.[/quote]

Nice one sire!

They really are excellent!

Nick