Why become a member? ×

What bass to buy from these 3 options?

thedontcarebear

Okay, probably in the next week I will order a new Jazz, and it's came down to either: -

1 - Sandberg California JJ - maple fretboard/block inlays, and any colour they do (not sure which I like, they don't do anything really bright)
2 - Shuker Jazz - gloss orange finished, maple fretboard/block inlays, delano pickups, shuker eq, ash body
3 - Fender Geddy Lee - still has the maple fretboard/block inlays, but not really the finish I want

I can get a Sandberg I want ordered for me for £1099 (instead of £1400 from elsewhere), it'll be made for me as no-where has them in stock, this is because I was talking to synergy and they spoke to PMT about getting me one cheaper, it'd probably take a couple of months to get it. The shuker would be £1300 but take 5 months, and the Geddy Lee in sunburst is £699.

Obviously, I cannot play the first two, they don't exist yet, but I love my Sandberg now (it's hardcore relic'd though).

Any advice? I'm leaning towards the Shuker, but know the wait will be a pain!

Edited by thedontcarebear

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='614497' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:45 AM']Okay, probably in the next week I will order a new Jazz, and it's came down to either: -

1 - Sandberg California JJ - maple fretboard/block inlays, and any colour they do (not sure which I like, they don't do anything really bright)
2 - Shuker Jazz - gloss orange finished, maple fretboard/block inlays, delano pickups, shuker eq, ash body
3 - Fender Geddy Lee - still has the maple fretboard/block inlays, but not really the finish I want

I can get a Sandberg I want ordered for me for £1099 (instead of £1400 from elsewhere), it'll be made for me as no-where has them in stock, this is because I was talking to synergy and they spoke to PMT about getting me one cheaper, it'd probably take a couple of months to get it. The shuker would be £1300 but take 5 months, and the Geddy Lee in sunburst is £699.

Obviously, I cannot play the first two, they don't exist yet, but I love my Sandberg now (it's hardcore relic'd though).

Any advice? I'm leaning towards the Shuker, but know the wait will be a pain![/quote]
The quickest and cheapest option would be to buy a Geddy and get SIMS Custom Shop to respray (would be about £250 from memory). That way you get the exact colour you want. Only downside is its probably not quite as good a quality bass (in terms of specs) as other two

I e-mailed Jon to ask what he does in terms of payment, anyone know if it's a certain deposit up front then the rest when complete?

As I am thinking that maybe I could get a Shuker and a Geddy Lee.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='614516' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:07 AM']I e-mailed Jon to ask what he does in terms of payment, anyone know if it's a certain deposit up front then the rest when complete?

As I am thinking that maybe I could get a Shuker and a Geddy Lee.[/quote]
I paid a chunk upfront for my JJB, from memory about £500 and the balance when it was ready for dispatch

If I was limited to your list I'd choose the Shuker, but for that money I'd also look at the Ken Smith and Modulus basses that are for sale at the moment. Not Jazz basses I know but they are quality instruments in your price range.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='614609' date='Oct 2 2009, 10:47 AM']Shame your so far away fella, you could have tried mine before ordering. It's got the Delano pups / 2 band EQ with a passive switch. It's the best Jazz I've owned and I've had a few.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61675"]pic here[/url][/quote]

I was really tempted by that when the person you got it from had it up for sale, it's pretty much the look of that which made me think about Shuker!

[quote name='chris_b' post='614612' date='Oct 2 2009, 10:53 AM']If I was limited to your list I'd choose the Shuker, but for that money I'd also look at the Ken Smith and Modulus basses that are for sale at the moment. Not Jazz basses I know but they are quality instruments in your price range.[/quote]

Really not interested in that sort of bass anymore.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='614622' date='Oct 2 2009, 11:05 AM']....Really not interested in that sort of bass anymore....[/quote]
Sure. Then the Shuker is the one that does it for me. A couple of weeks ago I heard someone using Delano JSBC 4 HE pickups on a jazz, don't know if these are the same as Homer's but they really sounded good.

I have an ACG with an ACG preamp already! And to tell the truth, the preamp is one of the reasons I rarely play it, although I may take it to next practice to give it another go.

The pickups in the Shuker that I want are the Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2, which I think are what is in my Sandberg.

Edited by thedontcarebear

Sandberg, but I would say that. They may be able to do a custom finish for you too, if you ask. I was going to get a hi-gloss blackburst finish which isnt standard at all, but they said the colours may bleed if done as high gloss, so settled for the matt finish.

Plus the neck on my new Sandberg is fricking amazing and the Delano's its fitted with are nice and growly.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='614763' date='Oct 2 2009, 01:24 PM']I have an ACG with an ACG preamp already! And to tell the truth, the preamp is one of the reasons I rarely play it, although I may take it to next practice to give it another go.

The pickups in the Shuker that I want are the Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2, which I think are what is in my Sandberg.[/quote]

what is it about the ACG pre that you dont like?

and shuker gets my vote :)

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='614763' date='Oct 2 2009, 01:24 PM']I have an ACG with an ACG preamp already! And to tell the truth, the preamp is one of the reasons I rarely play it, although I may take it to next practice to give it another go.

The pickups in the Shuker that I want are the Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2, which I think are what is in my Sandberg.[/quote]

Quiet happy to swap out the pre-amp for an East unit if you want something more familiar. An East U Retro should fit in the bass.

Edited by skelf