Why become a member? ×

GAS v need v confusion

P-T-P

Currently using a MarkBass CMD102P 2x10" Combo. Been using it for about 18 months or so now. When I got it the intention was to add a traveler 1x15 (the new shape) but having gigged it, never really felt the need, especially with PA support on tap. Still wanted a kinda mini-stack job all this time though, just for cool factor.

Fast forward to now, really have bad GAS/stack envy and have about £800 or so cash plus the value of my MB combo (£700ish) I could spend but don't really want to spend more than about £500 cash if I can 'cause I know it's all down to GAS rather than need.

I play in a function/wedding band. MB combo does most of what we do well, but perhaps lacks a little bit of attack/focus for one or two of the funkier numbers. I don't want to lose the low end oomph and warmth as that sits really well in the mix but would like to hear a more pronounced snappy tone when I move over the bridge pick-up.

All that being said, not really been concerned by it at all for most of the past 18 months (or 3 years which is when I first started with MarkBass) and may just be trying to justify GAS.

Anyway, where I'm at is I'm liking the idea of...

2 x Aguilar DB112 cabs but no idea what head to go for, will an LMII do the job here?
or
2 x Markbass 121H cabs or NY121 cabs and MB head
or
1 x MB CMD121P Combo + 1 x NY121 Cab
or
2 x TC Electronic Cabs but not sure I can afford the head to go with them
or
1 x MB Traveler 151 cab (or other cab from MB) that stacks with my existing combo and be done with it

Open to other options such as 2x12 cabs etc. but like the size and weight (sub 20kg) of my combo so would prefer to keep close to that unless there are wheels involved as I have two geriatrics in my band which means me and singer get to carry/load pretty much everything.

Hi Pete, MB heads do sound great with Aggie GSs or DBs. I can also recommend the Genz Benz 212 neo cab - 600 watts, 4 ohms , very light and has castors but it's quite big and bulky. Lovely sound.

I'm really chuffed with my current rig - Aguilar AG500 + 2 GS112's. Just a tad mid scooped but an easy tweak on the EQ. Having 2 channels - one with valve like distortion is a bonus.

[quote name='chris_b' post='612839' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:17 AM']Out of your list the only choice I rate is the 2 x Aguilar DB112's with an LMII. If you're coming from an MB combo this has got to tick all the boxes.[/quote]

That's definitely the way I'm leaning, though there's appeal to simply adding another cab rather than go for wholesale change and also appeal in the 1x12 combo and cab option from a portability point of view.

But the Aguilars tick all the boxes tonally and look amazing too.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='612858' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:43 AM']Hi Pete, MB heads do sound great with Aggie GSs or DBs. I can also recommend the Genz Benz 212 neo cab - 600 watts, 4 ohms , very light and has castors but it's quite big and bulky. Lovely sound.

I'm really chuffed with my current rig - Aguilar AG500 + 2 GS112's. Just a tad mid scooped but an easy tweak on the EQ. Having 2 channels - one with valve like distortion is a bonus.[/quote]

Interesting, not least because you were using Bergantino cabs at one point weren't you? Those are the elephant in the room I'm trying not to think about as I know they're gonna sound great but they are well pricey.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='612933' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:10 PM']Interesting, not least because you were using Bergantino cabs at one point weren't you? Those are the elephant in the room I'm trying not to think about as I know they're gonna sound great but they are well pricey.[/quote]

I wont say what I was going to then :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a pretty similar band to you Pete, and have the same thoughts from time to time.
I currently have a Mark Bass SA450 and a Schroeder 410L which is brilliant and I don't know why I really think of changing. In terms of practicality I've been thinking CMD121P + NYC121 cab. Powerful enough, even as a single combo for smaller gigs but can add the other 12 when it's needed.

Now for my other opinion....

Get yourself a SA450 so you can tweak those LOW mids a bit or an EQ pedal of some sort. I haven't played the Aguilar cabs but surely 2 x 10" are going to give more snap than the 12" speakers you are thinking of replacing them with. Oh yeah, and the only bass I had with a Bart preamp I couldn't get a snappy attack type tone out of it if I tried.

I'm sure this hasn't helped you at all !!!

Hmmmm the MB combo is a great combo and uses the LMll anyway..

I'd try that combo with the 15 underneath and that is probably as far as you'd need to go, IMV.

GS are great cabs and I like the character of the scooped mids a lot for a more soul oriented sound but to go down that route
you will have to swap out the combo and buy in a lot of unknown sounds.

Only you can tell what you will gain by effectively trading in the 2x10 cab for 2x1x12's with your bass..
However if you have GAS, then you'll probably do it

If you are close or have a great sound already, then...???

Having said that... my rig is great, IMV (2x10, 1x15) but I think the 2 GS's will be better. I'll probably keep both line-ups until I decdei for good tho...

Maybe pick up a single GS or DB and run it with the combo to see how you like that..and then go from there..
I assume you can unplug the 2x10 just for this demo purpose

I've come to the conclusion that GAS should really be used as an excuse for bass purchases and bought myself a Warwick Corvette ProLine V lol I now have oodles of snappy tone, just have to change basses to get it!

Would still love to go for some sexy Aguilar DB112 cabs in white, but the reality is, the more practical solution would be to go with the MB 1x12 combo and NYC cab. Chaning amps is a pain though compared to buying/selling your bass.