Why become a member? ×

North West Bass Tutor - Are You Interested in Lessons in 2010?

nickcarey

[u][b]Lesson content:[/b][/u]
This is structured in two ways:
1) around the learner's interests and aspirations,
2) the RGT Grades as these provide a structured approach covering the following subjects:

> Scales & Arpeggios (with focus on the left hand)
> Bass Patterns (Riffs & Phrases with focus on the plucking hand)
> Performance (Improvisation - combining left and right hand pointers from above)
> Aural Assessment (Ear Training)
> Musicianship (Theory)
> Reading & Solo Bass (optional from grade 6+)

The RGT grades [u]can[/u] be used to gain UCAS points for those wishing to pursue study in further education (see attachment).

Other benefits include: improved technique, greater live performance confidence, or simply provide some fun for players wanting to improve their bass playing by expanding their knowledge and technique.

[b][u]Location:[/u][/b]
Private bass tuition provided from a studio in Leyland, Lancashire (PR26 8NY).
[url="http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&hloc=GB|PR268NY"]http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&hloc=GB|PR268NY[/url]

[color="#0000FF"][b]I teach full-time but lesson slots are limited. I now only have 1 free regular lesson space remaining & some periodic ad hoc ones. All lessons are tailored to your requirements and I never use a 'production line' approach. [/b][/color]

For further information see: [color="#0000FF"][url="http://www.bassguitarlesson.co.uk"][color="#0000FF"]www.bassguitarlesson.co.uk[/color][/url][/color]

Also feel free to drop me an email to arrange a call to chat about your requirements without any obligation.

Edited by nickcarey

• 1 month later...

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='65954' date='Sep 26 2007, 03:24 PM']Nick's been my tutor for several months now and he's really brought my playing on no end. He's a top bloke and deserves a big fat yellow bassist recommendation from the donut man. :)[/quote]
+1 from me. I have been seeing Nick for a short while now and he is excellent. He doesn't have a set format and works out what is needed by listening to you. My playing has improved dramatically.

Just like to add a short note on my experiences with nick so far;

In short, fan-bloody-tastic.
Every lesson has been incredibly constructive and i do quite generally have a wonderful feeling of being able to leave his lessons with a view to get home and practice what ive been taught (If only the same feeling was applicable to his college work, says the mother)

Totally sound chap, i cant begin to echo how valuable not sticking to a set structure is here, you learn what you want to learn, and Nick will give you an honest opinion on what he also thinks would be valuable.

Also, for those of you that know yer gear he's well worth sitting down and having a chat with in a general basschat sense!

Allround thumbs up from me.

I was somewhat taken aback by a comment from the Drummer of the corporate band I play in who was at last nights gig with the "pub" band in Warrington.
Steve has drummed all over Europe and also been a session drummer at Strawberry Studios in Stockport.
He mentioned to Mrs BB that my playing has improved dramatically since I started lessons with Nick. In his words, " He really looks comfortable with the bass and his improved technique shows in how relaxed his playing is now."
Can't thank Nick enough for his efforts so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,
I have good news for you. I am based in sunny Leyland! So I am 25 miles closer to you than you first thought! The easiest way from Liverpool is probably the A59 through Ormskirk. I guess it depends which side of Liverpool you live in. The M6 may be more suitable???

Tell you what, just send me an email with your phone number to: [email protected] and I will give you a call to save you the expense.

Regards

Nick

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,
I have had a few queries about exactly where Leyland is. I hope the info helps. Any Qs. feel free to ask. :)
Nick

Pls see:
[url="http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&hloc=GB|PR268NY"]http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&hloc=GB|PR268NY[/url]

Edited by nickcarey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started having lessons with Nick quite recently. Initially, I wanted to improve my bass theory. We have started to address reading, which has been enjoyable and certainly not as daunting as I first expected.

This is undoubtedly due to Nick's laid back unregimented, but encouraging, approach.

He is also starting to iron out quite a few bad habits with my technique too.

Very highly recommended, Nick CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

Cameron

I just got back from my first lesson with Nick.
First things,I got a brew before i got to sit down,you know you're onto a good thing there then.
I really enjoyed it,straight into technique with some great pointers and homework to boot.
He's very attentive,patient and a good listener,a skill i'll admit i lack in from time to time.
Im really excited as i now feel like im on the journey to the next level.
Cheers Nick,
oh and thanks for tweaking Vicky,she feels great. :)

• 2 weeks later...

+1
I've just started with Nick too. This guy really knows what he's talking about - and is very observant, with the patience of a saint (and with me as a pupil you REALLY need that).
I turned up for my second lesson today where, at the start, Nick produced a sheet of A4 detailing every last detail of the last lesson, and then a further 2 sheets with suggestions to work at - he really does go the extra mile. I've never known such dedication in a teacher before.
Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would add a few comments on how I am finding things with Nick so far.

Just to fill you in on a little about me....I have been actively playing bass for the last 18 years and class myself as a fairly competent player, but I have never been able to focus myself into reading. I contacted Nick and have been 'going back to school' for the last couple of months to try and get myself into this part of the playing...

From the 1st lesson I was upfront about being concerned that I would get bored trying to read something that I know I could play by ear in my sleep....Nick has a very open minded lesson structure to give you whatever you want out of the lesson. For me, as well as the formal part of the reading (which I am actually really enjoying contrary to what I thought I would)...we spend the last 10-15minutes working on some funky more advanced playing styles to get the fingers and ears better trained. Its very refreshing for me, the more you think you know the more you realise you know nothing......old dog new tricks and all that......

Dave

Booked some lessons recently with Nick ,and after only a couple of sessions I can start to see the improvements.Presently ironing out all the bad habits of 3 years of self tuition and gaps in the basic theory . For those looking for a bass tutor, Nick is very knowledgeable and patient teacher who gears the tuition to your requirements and what you want to get out of playing the bass.If you're looking to improve your styles,technique or theory on the bass,then I can highly recommend Nick .

Phil Winrow
Musicman999

More good feedback for Nick, not that he needs it !! My 14 year old daughter has just had her 3rd lesson with Nick. Nick is a breath of fresh air after her first teacher (who could play but not teach). Very encouraging in a laid back style and takes the time to find out what you want to get out of the lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4]Bass Coaching Sessions[/size]

I have had a couple of sessions now where regular students have brought their rigs to spend a lesson solving problems and getting ideas on how to utilise them.

If you are not interested in having lessons on your playing but would find a session useful on addressing any problems or concerns with your rig feel free to get in touch and make an appointment.

Regards

Nick

Edited by nickcarey

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add my comments to those already 'on file'.

I managed one lesson with Nick before I became housebound for about six weeks. Since we knew it was coming, Nick was able to pick things that I could work on without being face to face, and we discussed my progress by phone.

I am now back in the saddle, and recently other members of the band have commented that my playing is becoming more fluid.

I can also vouch for Nick's eye for detail, in hand positions etc. - not in the sense of producing clones, but more about seeing where the problems are, and helping you work towards the optimum for you.

David Wilson
Mottlefeeder