Why become a member? ×

The Globe Cardiff: Help save it

OldGit

Please write in and support the Globe in Cardiff
Send your thoughts to:
Paul Shone. Operational Manager, Licensing & Strategic Services. Cardiff Council, City Hall,. Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3ND

The situation:
Our new and brilliant venue is under threat.
[url="http://www.theglobecardiff.com/"]The Globe, Cardiff [/url] is a venue created from a long shut small cinema in a cool area of Cardiff (must be, I live there) It's a great gig to go to as an audient but also as a player.
Pete Academy is plying there in a few weeks with Nearly Dan, Rich with the Soul Destroyers in the Spring (I hope). We've had The Hamsters, Seth Lakeman, Johnny Winter, Blockheads, Otway, we have Oli Brown, the Blues Band and loads of others coming .. and that's just he old fart music.
Various other really cool events have happened there for youngsters, local bands, open mics, folk, blues, drum n bass etc ..

However....

Two people have complained about the noise and that's enough to get its licence revoked.
Fortunately the appeal against the decision brings a stay of execution for a few weeks, maybe as long as the new year. This [b]MAY[/b] give the owner time to save for and implement the long planned extra sound proofing and make it OK again.

So, if you want to play a great venue in Cardiff, please consider writing to the guy above to express your opinion.
We're sympathetic with the people who can hear the music in their homes but totally support giving The Globe time to react to the problem and sort it out. They are not ignoring the inconvenience they are causing but need a little time to implement the plans.

We lost The Point early in the year in similar circumstances and to loose The Globe as well would be a tragedy for arts and culture in Cardiff.

You can copy these points if you need to...

If you are physically in the Globe they have a petition but individual letters and cards will always have a bigger impact than a signature on a petition.

Thanks, people ...

Edited by OldGit

tis a sad tale of events and it'll be awful if cardiff loses yet another venue.
Great venue even if I have been to only two gigs there since its opened. (efterklang the other week and King Creosote in may). Both were fantastic!
Fingers crossed I'll get to see Mabon there next week as well.

[quote name='Rich' post='612215' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:15 PM']Yeah... a retired vicar and a civil servant. Says it all really. :)[/quote]

Alan says the Vicar went to see the venue, and maybe Seth Lakeman, and liked the venue a lot :rolleyes: Ironic or what?
Al says he thinks that noise thats anoying him may actually be coming from the Vicar's DJ neighbour. Mr Civil servant, however, does have a case as the noise man's been round and it's intrusive and he has kids and stuff ....

It's just a case of getting the work done. It's not an impossible problem to resolve, just needs a bit of time and money.

Blooming ridiculous state of affairs ...

Live music should be grown and nurtured properly, after all its an art form ! .. and ive only heard good things about the venue

I used to live a few doors away and have fond memories of the area

I will send some thoughts asap

Gary
v8
Live Music Appreciator

I was led to believe that the rear of the stage was adjacent to one of the complaining persons living rooms.

Its not an ideal place for a live venue which has a great set up and a lot to offer in the 'diff, and part of that problem is that it was given a live music license in the first place. I hope it can wrangle something that benefits all, but facts are facts.....the neighbours were there first.

I am really more sour about The Point, since that was in existence before the yuppy brigade moved in across the road. But being part of the local council, I suspect there is more to it than that.

[quote name='Rich' post='612215' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:15 PM']Yeah... a retired vicar and a civil servant. Says it all really. :)[/quote]

Clearly the venue is causing a genuine problem or the council wouldn't be threatening them - the council wouldn't take any action unless it had witnessed the noise problem first-hand.

Only last weekend I was on the phone to the hotel across the street from me, asking them why I had to call them twice every weekend to complain about the noise, and why they couldn't just do something about it - maybe by closing their effing windows like I asked them to. I think I'll be ringing the council instead next time because I'm wasting my breath with these tossers.

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='612584' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:43 PM']I was led to believe that the rear of the stage was adjacent to one of the complaining persons living rooms.

Its not an ideal place for a live venue which has a great set up and a lot to offer in the 'diff, and part of that problem is that it was given a live music license in the first place. I hope it can wrangle something that benefits all, but facts are facts.....the neighbours were there first.

I am really more sour about The Point, since that was in existence before the yuppy brigade moved in across the road. But being part of the local council, I suspect there is more to it than that.[/quote]

When the Coal Exchange opens again for gigs the Yuppies will be at it again I suspect.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='612593' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:53 PM']Clearly the venue is causing a genuine problem or the council wouldn't be threatening them - the council wouldn't take any action unless it had witnessed the noise problem first-hand.

Only last weekend I was on the phone to the hotel across the street from me, asking them why I had to call them twice every weekend to complain about the noise, and why they couldn't just do something about it - maybe by closing their effing windows like I asked them to. I think I'll be ringing the council instead next time because I'm wasting my breath with these tossers.[/quote]

I sympathize with you and the vicar. It's no fun living where there's a noise problem.

Lat weekend we played a venue with a loading in door right by the stage. Despite repeated announcements, signs on the doors etc people were still going out through them to smoke, and leaving the doors wide open for our noise to assault the local houses and police station. Surprised we didn't get a visit.

However that's having noise reduction kit but not using it... different situation, really.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='612748' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:35 AM']I only remember this as a cinema (briefly lived in Roath in te '80's - Angus st.), but I can imagine it making a hell of a great live music venue - could do with a similar one in Swansea. Damn shame, will be writing stroppy letter :)[/quote]

Thanks Shaggy.

The orginal Globe Cinema was a big ol' 30's fleapit cinema on the corner of Albany and Wellfeild where th a Ozzy pub is now.
Mates who lived here when it was still going said it was a the type pf place where the audience joined in the films, shouting out comments and throwing stuff ..
When it closed the building was knocked down and a series of shops were built as "the Globe Centre".
It did open for a bit but failed pretty fast in the early 90's. One of my friends ran a campaign to get the cinema re-opened but that didn't work. She says that planning for the shops was only allowed if an arts cinema was included in the plans.
The Globe (venue) is the small arts cenema converted.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='612759' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:54 AM']We were booked to play The Point and it closed about 2 weeks before. Now we are booked for The Globe in a couple of weeks and it's due to close.

I see a pattern emerging. :lol:[/quote]

:rolleyes:

I've played quite a few places that have subsequently been knocked down. We got to play first though :)

Edited by OldGit

Playing devils advocate here, but as someone who's had problems with a commercial enterprise causing me problems with excessive noise, i can sympathise with the complainer. Surely the venue should have soundproofed before they started having gigs? Doesn't take a genious to realise that close neighbours might be affected by gigs and complaints may follow.

My downstairs neighbour is a funeral directors and when i first moved into my property they had the cheek to complain that my music was disturbing the services as their chapel of rest was below my lounge. I pointed out to the manager that if they could hear my music, have they ever thought that i might be able to hear every word and every note that is played, loudly i might add, at their services...of course they hadn't thought of that cos all they care about is the money they make from the bereaved. When i asked why they as a commercial enterprise hadn't soundproofed their chapel of rest, knowing that they had a neighbour directly above them, they had no answer...they just wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Being a nice guy, sometimes anyway, i have agreed to keep my music down when they have services but i still have to listen to them as they don't seem to give a sh*t that i can still hear their noise...there's only so many times i can hear the Lord Is My Shepherd before i go postal and then they'll be sorry...it's be back to Going Underground at full belt if they're not careful :)

[quote name='thebeat' post='612812' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:33 AM']Playing devils advocate here, but as someone who's had problems with a commercial enterprise causing me problems with excessive noise, i can sympathise with the complainer. Surely the venue should have soundproofed before they started having gigs? Doesn't take a genious to realise that close neighbours might be affected by gigs and complaints may follow.

My downstairs neighbour is a funeral directors and when i first moved into my property they had the cheek to complain that my music was disturbing the services as their chapel of rest was below my lounge. I pointed out to the manager that if they could hear my music, have they ever thought that i might be able to hear every word and every note that is played, loudly i might add, at their services...of course they hadn't thought of that cos all they care about is the money they make from the bereaved. When i asked why they as a commercial enterprise hadn't soundproofed their chapel of rest, knowing that they had a neighbour directly above them, they had no answer...they just wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Being a nice guy, sometimes anyway, i have agreed to keep my music down when they have services but i still have to listen to them as they don't seem to give a sh*t that i can still hear their noise...there's only so many times i can hear the Lord Is My Shepherd before i go postal and then they'll be sorry...it's be back to Going Underground at full belt if they're not careful :)[/quote]

They did as much as they could at the time, as much as the planning dept asked and for what investment dosh they had.
Seems it wasn't enough.
If they'd not done anything then more than two people would be complaining. There's a music pub 50 yerds down the road that's hasd all sorts of complaints and problems and the Globe's only had 2 ..

As for your funeral directors below, ask them to soundproof their ceiling. Fairly simple and relatively cheap.

[quote name='OldGit' post='612879' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:11 PM']They did as much as they could at the time, as much as the planning dept asked and for what investment dosh they had.
Seems it wasn't enough.[/quote]

Same as the situation at The Point...

We're scheduled to play The Globe in November. Fingers crossed it goes ahead.... Alan at the venue said gigs would continue throughout the appeal and (if they lose the appeal) when he takes it to the Crown Court....

[quote name='cetera' post='612887' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:19 PM']Same as the situation at The Point...

We're scheduled to play The Globe in November. Fingers crossed it goes ahead.... Alan at the venue said gigs would continue throughout the appeal and (if they lose the appeal) when he takes it to the Crown Court....[/quote]

Yeah he's hoping the appeal will take long enough to save up to do the extra work.

What date are you here?
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='612158' date='Sep 29 2009, 04:32 PM']Please write in and support the Globe in Cardiff
Send your thoughts to:
Paul Shone. Operational Manager, Licensing & Strategic Services. Cardiff Council, City Hall,. Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3ND

The situation:
Our new and brilliant venue is under threat.
[url="http://www.theglobecardiff.com/"]The Globe, Cardiff [/url] is a venue created from a long shut small cinema in a cool area of Cardiff (must be, I live there) It's a great gig to go to as an audient but also as a player.
Pete Academy is plying there in a few weeks with Nearly Dan, Rich with the Soul Destroyers in the Spring (I hope). We've had The Hamsters, Seth Lakeman, Johnny Winter, Blockheads, Otway, we have Oli Brown, the Blues Band and loads of others coming .. and that's just he old fart music.
Various other really cool events have happened there for youngsters, local bands, open mics, folk, blues, drum n bass etc ..

However....

Two people have complained about the noise and that's enough to get its licence revoked.
Fortunately the appeal against the decision brings a stay of execution for a few weeks, maybe as long as the new year. This [b]MAY[/b] give the owner time to save for and implement the long planned extra sound proofing and make it OK again.

So, if you want to play a great venue in Cardiff, please consider writing to the guy above to express your opinion.
We're sympathetic with the people who can hear the music in their homes but totally support giving The Globe time to react to the problem and sort it out. They are not ignoring the inconvenience they are causing but need a little time to implement the plans.

We lost The Point early in the year in similar circumstances and to loose The Globe as well would be a tragedy for arts and culture in Cardiff.

You can copy these points if you need to...

If you are physically in the Globe they have a petition but individual letters and cards will always have a bigger impact than a signature on a petition.

Thanks, people ...[/quote]

Played there in May, nice venue and people, drat the stairs though.
They don't seem to have anything on their website about this problem.
Great shame if it does go.
The Bulls Head in Barnes, London was looking at the same dilemma several years ago to the point that it got into the London Evening Standard paper.
Thousands were spent renovating and soundproofing then the complainant in the new flats next door moved away!
(Alan?) may have spent too much already on the venue to risk financial failure.