Why become a member? ×

Using more plucking fingers

basss

Hello, I was trying to use 3 and 4 fingers in my right hand to pluck and was wondering, which way is the most effective way to play? Pinky, ring, middle, index or the other way round?

Also, have you got any exercises to help me coordinate this with my left hand across strings?

I've been using three fingers (Ring, middle index) for a few years now. I could never get the pinky consistent enough with the other fingers, although I've recently been working on using the thumb. As far as practice exercises go, all I can say is start slowly, use a metronome and just play what you play normally. Make sure you can play it perfectly slow before speeding up. :)

I use 3 fingers too. I usually start with my ring finger then middle then index etc.
I just started playing some stuff slowly (trying to only use the ring finger to make it get used to actually be used!) then got more speed.

Annoyingly my pinky sticks out like i'm the queen having a cup of tea or something when i do it. Cue lots of mocking from my other half and my old band. Hahah

I use mostly two fingers but sometimes I use 3 fingers or thumb and two fingers.
The most effective way is to use the natural motion of the hand-which for me
is ring,middle,index.

The best way to coordinate is to just practice string crossing-try playing scales in different
intervals like 3rd's or 6th's.

Matt Garrison and Hardien Feraud are using their thumbs to very good effect as well as multiple fingers. If you're using three fingers on the right make up lots of exercises using different numbers of notes in the left hand. A chromatic scale playing four notes per string will have you changing string on a different finger each time. You'll soon see what's most comfortable for you. Good luck!

[quote name='basss' post='611241' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:51 PM']Hello, I was trying to use 3 and 4 fingers in my right hand to pluck and was wondering, which way is the most effective way to play? Pinky, ring, middle, index or the other way round?

Also, have you got any exercises to help me coordinate this with my left hand across strings?[/quote]

i started with just the one...index and my thumb resting...believe this...on the top of the bass... a rick
then i got the thumb down on the pup area and started to practice just 2 fingers
eventually i got loosened up...a year or so and used 3
i dont or havent really found use for the pinkie....i dont slap

After hearing Percy Jones playing in Brand X when I was younger, I tried to fake his fast flurries of notes by using 3 fingers ... [i](usually in the order of - ring, middle, index)[/i]

...over time, I've kinda got more accurate with it & it's become incorporated into my 'style' ...like these things do...
trying to copy things you've heard that tickle your bass bone, so to speak....perhaps falling a bit short of the mark!.... but what you end up with is your[i] unique[/i] 'style' :)

Percy Jones has since made a video, with detailed information on how he does what he does ....with his three fingers!
you can see him talking about his right hand technique [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBrSAcrm0M&feature=related"]HERE[/url]

(Check out from about 7.12)

Still a great bass player, in my view [i](although not exactly 'Mr Personality' on this video!)[/i]

Edited by bottomfeed

I think using multiple fingers is considered to be more advantageous than it actually is. The idea is that if you're using more fingers, then you can play faster (via division of labour between the fingers). However the drawback is that the movements are more complicated and therefore require more effort to learn and get right (for example, three fingers means you need to get comfortable crossing strings with 3 fingers instead of 2, comfortable starting riffs on 3 different fingers instead of 2, etc).

People choose to learn multiple finger techniques and put significantly more effort into their 'x' finger technique than they did their 2 finger technique, simply because of the attitude that 'I will be quicker as a result, this technique is just a little awkward to start with'. I'm a firm believer that if you take that attitude with two fingers, you can achieve similar amounts of speed with a simpler technique. I adopted and still use the Matt Garrison 4 finger technique, but then also put the same amount of time into advancing my two finger technique (ala Hanon I've mentioned in other threads).

Nevertheless, I totally acknowledge that using multiple fingers provides great endurance benefits that 2 fingers don't quite achieve.

Mark

I started with two (index, middle) when I first started having lessons. Then moved to using three (index, middle, ring) when I found myself between bands with a lot of time to practice my technique. I don't think it necessarily meant that I could play faster, but matching the same speed felt like a lot less effort. Only pit-fall is that I find myself playing triplets if I'm noodling or composing my own stuff as it feels natural when using 3 fingers. I do alternate subconsciously between 2 and 3 fingers.

*nod* Good point pete. Certain techniques lend themselves to particular playing styles... which is bad if that's the only one you know, but great if you can use lots of techniques!

With the four finger technique, I found my timing improved massively for fast runs, but then for comparatively slower lines I found my timing was still a little bit too 'rigid' as compared to using 2 fingers. So I tend to use it as a higher 'gear' so to speak; two fingers for almost everything, four fingers for those exceedingly fast sustained runs.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='peted' post='613672' date='Oct 1 2009, 11:10 AM']I started with two (index, middle) when I first started having lessons. Then moved to using three (index, middle, ring) when I found myself between bands with a lot of time to practice my technique. I don't think it necessarily meant that I could play faster, but matching the same speed felt like a lot less effort. Only pit-fall is that I find myself playing triplets if I'm noodling or composing my own stuff as it feels natural when using 3 fingers. I do alternate subconsciously between 2 and 3 fingers.[/quote]

A-ha! Someone else who uses I,M,R! Thought I was the only one there for a minute. I know exactly what you mean about the triplets. :)