Why become a member? ×

Unique Sounds And Styles

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='611238' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:48 PM']It's like any innovator - there's always players that take it further. Take Larry Graham, for instance. When I first heard Jaco's solo album back when it was released, it was mind-blowing. Ok, there are better, faster players etc, but Jaco had something special, and his technique was awesome. he was just a genius musician.

I've read lots of comments by (mainly) younger players who can't see what the fuss is about. You just have to look a bit deeper than the bass heroes of today.
Jaco is, and will always be, the greatest bass player of all time.[/quote]

ahh no! i'm obviously not explaining myself very well!

i completely understand what the fuss is about with all these musos, i understand that theyre awesome musicians, and when i hear jaco i find his playing mind blowing! he was a fantastic bass player! when i hear him play i just think "woah, i wish i could do that!".

BUT

i'd still rather listen to new found glory or something, because thats just the sort of music i'm into, and i just find any player just soloing gets boring very, very fast!

either that, or perhaps i'm not understanding what you're saying?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='610977' date='Sep 28 2009, 04:41 PM']JB is like your mate's Dad, the bloke that delivers the milk, the guy that mends your tv.[/quote]
You just can't see past the comfy Xmas-present woolly jumper and the moustache, can you? Not only a knitwear bigot but a Fascist 'Tache-ist!

Personally, I can't stand the man or his oeuvre, but I wouldn't slag him for being - er - homely. Glass houses and all that...

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='611238' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:48 PM']Jaco is, and will always be, the greatest bass player of all time.[/quote]

Personally I wouldn't say that he is now (he never did it for me), but to say that he always will be is just silly, and its a fair bet that Jaco himself would not have thought so either.

You are putting him in the position of Shakespeare: however good a playwright is, even if better than Shakespeare, he/she can never be 'Better than Shakespeare'. It's as if someone in the 60's had said "No one will ever be better than the Beatles".

Sorry, but this sort of attitude just niggles me.

Edited by Count Bassy

Nope there will always be hugely influential innovators, they just dont turn up very often, and in the meantime the industry just keeps trotting out the same old lineup of maybe 15 players for years and years and years!

There has been loads, Jamerson, Jaco, Flea (he's influenced at least as many people as Jaco has IMO), Geddy, Bruce, Vic, Sheehan, Stanley C, a million upright dudes, Wimbish, Squarepusher (great article on him in BGM, love his stuff, a long way from the rest of the bass fraternity, which is a very good thing IMO, although as D&B goes I prefer T-Power and Aphex Twin) etc etc

Tomorrow someone new will pick up bass, and they may end up being the next most inventive cat ever, or it may be ten years from now, but it will happen.

I can honestly say it wont be me though :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='611333' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:06 PM']Personally I wouldn't say that he is now (he never did it for me), but to say that he always will be is just silly, and its a fair bet that Jaco himself would not have thought so either.

You are putting him in the position of Shakespeare: however good a playwright is, even if better than Shakespeare, he/she can never be 'Better than Shakespeare'. It's as if someone in the 60's had said "No one will ever be better than the Beatles".

Sorry, but this sort of attitude just niggles me.[/quote]

To me Jaco is 'the Jimi Hendrix of bass playing' in terms of his level of influence on many people and also in the sense that he is held in higher esteem than his contemporaries as he died young. Kurt Cobain is another example.

I've often thought of killing myself so people will remember me as a better bass player :)