Why become a member? ×

Any Reef fans?

spinynorman

My kids growing up were huge Reef fans and it didn't take much for them to convert me. Anyway, last Wednesday I was idly browing the what's on email from our local tribute band venue and noticed "Them Is Me" - ex-Reef, Gary Stringer, Jack Bessant. So last night we're two feet from Stringer climbing all over the monitors and the bar and trying to swing on the lighting rig, and Bessant glaring at the crowd, thumping a very battered sunburst Precision through an 8x10 Ampeg fridge and a Mesa Bass 400.

I think that's the best 8 quid I've ever spent on a gig. Just watching Bessant was worth twice that, at least.

No Reef songs, by the way, but with the stuff they play now they don't need to go backwards.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/themismeofficial"]http://www.myspace.com/themismeofficial[/url]

Loved Reef, still do. Great bass playing on all the albums.

Saw them live once at Bournemouth, at a surfers against sewage christmas ball, still one of the best gigs i've ever been to, Jack Bessent lying on his back crowd surfing, still playing his stingray5, class.

So excited about this news, anybody know if there is an album yet?

Not really a fan as such but their gig in the Lemon Tree here in Aberdeen (circa 2000) goes down as probably the best gig of my life. The place was heaving, it was stupidly loud, massive party atmosphere and crowd surfing a plenty. Our singer had a jam and got his acoustic guitar signed earlier that day in a grotty pub near by.

I remember seeing them when they were unsigned in '93 i think it was, at the Fulham Swan on Fulham Broadway. They were called 'Naked' back then (the name of the single on the Sony Mini Disc advert). I saw them again at the Camden Underworld in '95 where they played through their debut album, which i still think is a pretty good album. Great gig, they mingled with the crowd too, so i chatted to them. Support acts on the night were Bullyrag and Kula Shaker.
I saw them a few times after that too. I guess i was a big Reef fan at the time, although i didn't really like their last couple of studio albums. First two albums for me. I'm not really into the new band. At least i checked them out when they first came out and didn't float my boat much.

[quote name='TommyK' post='609814' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:54 AM']Loved Reef, still do. Great bass playing on all the albums.

Saw them live once at Bournemouth, at a surfers against sewage christmas ball, still one of the best gigs i've ever been to, Jack Bessent lying on his back crowd surfing, still playing his stingray5, class.

So excited about this news, anybody know if there is an album yet?[/quote]

There is an album. And a T Shirt.

[url="http://www.themisme.com/shop.htm"]http://www.themisme.com/shop.htm[/url]

Before the last song Gary Stringer said something like - "It's been rough going round, but tonight's been fun". So could be they aren't going down so well, though I really can't see why. I wouldn't judge them by what's on MySpace, they're much better live, but I like that kind of riff-based rock, having been weened on stuff like that.

They came out in front of 200 people paying £8 a ticket and performed like it was a stadium. If nothing else I'd give them credit for that.

Edited by spinynorman

I saw Them is Me at The haymakers in Cambridge on saturday and they were awesome, blew the roof off the place.

Really cool guys and spent time after the gig thanking everyone for coming, massive stage presence, you could tell they had done it all before.

The chap on guitar is fantastic has really great tone and is imacluate to the album.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='bluesparky' post='611446' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:21 PM']Yup, me too, took me ages to get hold of the purple tape...[/quote]

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of Reef's (Naked) Purple Tape.

I used to have one (won it from the Reef fan club back in the day) but it got nicked when I was at uni in a burgulary on my home -

If anyone has a copy they'd sell (or knows where there is one for sale) please email me: [email protected]

Cheers