Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice needed.

TheButler

Well, i thought i would put this out to y'all out there. I like advice, and you experienced lot on here are good at keeping folk right. I'm 19, and will happily admit that due to being 19 i'm not very 'up' on ways of such things (anything remotely serious)

Basically, i joined a new band just over a week ago. Since joining i've put in over 26 hours of practice at studios, learning 5 songs for gigs. I had my first gig on Thursday night. It went really well, songs aren't a problem, they're not only enjoyable to play, but they're enjoyable to listen to casually and the people/attitude/direction of the band is so perfect i can't believe my luck if i'm honest. It was easier because a new drummer joined at the same time as myself.

However, they've got a contract with a relatively big independant label. They're naturally serious and as such have big plans for the future. Currently i am studying a bachelors degree in English and will hopefully do my honours year as well (4 altogether), before continuing on to further education or plumbing for a career in something i'd hopefully enjoy (aye, right!) At least that was the plan. I'm not sure if it is at all plausable. I'm not sure if i will be able to juggle everything. I'm not sure i will be able to cope. I'm not sure that the band will ever be at such a level that i will be able to simply have it as my sole priority - besides commitments to family and girlfriend. Hell, i don't know how much even that will be effected. We're currently looking at 9 hours a week minimum practice time. 1-3 gig(s) a month seems to be the way things are looking.

So, i guess i'm asking what i should be prepared to expect? What should i be prepared to sacrafice and change in my life as it is now? Should i just try hard to slow the pace of the band down until i'm a bit more certain about my future plans (seems quite selfish though)? Ugh, i dunno.

Cheers for any help,
Jamie

Edited by TheButler

I'd just keep at it if it were me. I'm pretty organised but I'm quite the procrastinator. I've got three bands at the minute, although two are not at all busy, one is though and the other two will be picking up soon. I have a full time day job with a lot of responsibility, studying hard for a diploma required by my job, love going fishing, have to cook almost every night, love to go to the pub, etc. etc.

It's hard getting a balance, but you can do it. Calendarise as much as you can and get a feel for your week. Do plan for yourself a bit of time out to chill. I reckon you'll be fine. It's getting a picture of my life in my head that works for me. I can sort of see my life for the next month in my head. It makes it easier.

No need to make a decision right now. You've only been in the band [i]a week [/i]- a month from now it may all have gone tits-up - or nationwide.

Just see how it goes. The time to make your mind up is when you're so busy you're getting no sleep. And both the band [i]and[/i] your tutors are screaming threats at you.

And unless I've misread it, you're currently looking at 9 hrs a week rhsals (for the moment, presumably decreasing as material settles in) and a mere 1-3 gigs a month. That's an easy schedule for a spunky youngster like yourself. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

I'm gonna echo what everyone else has said. Just organise your time, start and finish essays ASAP so they don't clash with gigs.
It does confuses me though when people want to rehearse 3 times a week or 9 hours and stuff......it just makes me think that they're no good lol, but that could be years of having to sound the best I/We can with minimal rehearsals!

Si

I thought it would've been better to think about it sooner rather than later - but yeah, a week is rather a bit on the sooner side :rolleyes:

The rehearsing will be done in a private space though, when i've got my new rig 9 hours won't be enough! :)

Edit: Yeah... the 1-3 gigs thing, that was probably a bit conservative. They've been a band for the past 5 years and recording the past 2. So, it doesn't look like they'll be going tits up any time soon.

Edited by TheButler

Get all the work done as soon as you can... so it doesn't all drop on your head at the last minute...that is the hardest thing to organise.

As for the band..let it happen. These things have a habit of not panning out and being all talk, so I wouldn't worry about that atm.
If the pace steps up and you can't ..or rather, they, can't/wont work round things...then that is the time to make a choice.

Then you'll need to decide and what you can put on the backburner.

But remember this...it isn't very easy to earn £30,000 pa from music. You can earn very good money on a daily basis if you are good and connected in a studio, but doing that every week, every month, for 10 months a year is something else...
If you are mostly gigging, then a function band will need to be turning over 2 gigs a week at £250 plus per head, per night.. again, not easy..and those £50 deps don't cover it...

I wouldn't be thinking about quitting the studies just yet... see how it goes and how you can keep both balls in the air..

Give it a shot man! If it gets too much it gets too much.

I'm in college full time with every view of going to Uni next september (That means i have to work a bit hard, Apparently) I work two jobs (Cocktail bar 6 hours a week, Off licence about 18 hours a week) and i just about have time for 2 nights of practice a week with a gig most weeks also.

I do get stressed occasionally, but i get stressed at the [i]thought[/i] of doing all these things, When im actually doing them i dont think twice!

Go for it buddy!

[quote name='silddx' post='609624' date='Sep 26 2009, 09:23 PM']I'd just keep at it if it were me. I'm pretty organised but I'm quite the procrastinator. I've got three bands at the minute, although two are not at all busy, one is though and the other two will be picking up soon. I have a full time day job with a lot of responsibility, studying hard for a diploma required by my job, love going fishing, have to cook almost every night, love to go to the pub, etc. etc.

It's hard getting a balance, but you can do it. Calendarise as much as you can and get a feel for your week. Do plan for yourself a bit of time out to chill. I reckon you'll be fine. It's getting a picture of my life in my head that works for me. I can sort of see my life for the next month in my head. It makes it easier.[/quote]

Please don't tell me you have kids as well. If you do it will just confirm to me that I'm as organised as the large untidy pile of paper(s) that sit on top of this computer desk almost obscuring the screen. :) :rolleyes:

To the OP, just see how it goes.

[quote name='TheButler' post='609603' date='Sep 26 2009, 09:04 PM']Well, i thought i would put this out to y'all out there. I like advice, and you experienced lot on here are good at keeping folk right. I'm 19, and will happily admit that due to being 19 i'm not very 'up' on ways of such things (anything remotely serious)[/quote]

Keep going. People told me I couldn't be a barrister and a bandleader/bassist. They were [i]all[/i] wrong.

99% of bands don't get anywhere - but don't be afraid of being in the 1% that does. Surely being in a touring, recording band is more fun than being a plumber? And you can always go on to a life of fleecing unsuspecting householders if the band doesn't work out. And you can always take a break in the middle of your course for a year if the band does get to the stage where you need to dedicate all your time to it.

19 is the age to try things, take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself, make mistakes and learn as much as possible along the way.