Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just recieved a call...

Tait

I just got a call from the manager of a local band who's bass player has left :) he's going to set me up with an audition. this is the first time anything like this has happened, usually its me who forms the band or its just a mate asking me to join his mess around band. i've not played with the band before, i know nothing about them except the 4 tracks on their myspace, but i was recommended by a drummer whos friends with the manager.

according to their myspace they came 7th in the BBCs search for the UKs best unsigned band, and apparently have recieved an award from a venue i've played at a few times claiming they are "the best band ever to have played in mansfield". it also says they have a major label, i dunno if they just put that for a laugh or if they actually do, but i guess i'll find all that out at the audition.

haha, typing this has made me nervous!

Can you get on with playing the music? (I find I'm much more tolerant of music if I'm playing it rather than just listening to it). If so do the audition. It'll be good practice/experience at the very least. Remember that you're auditioning them as much as they are you.

Only thing to consider is that if even half of what they claim is true they have big ambitions. Would you be prepared/able to put your education plans on hold to make this band work?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='609212' date='Sep 26 2009, 01:28 PM']Can you get on with playing the music? (I find I'm much more tolerant of music if I'm playing it rather than just listening to it). If so do the audition. It'll be good practice/experience at the very least. Remember that you're auditioning them as much as they are you.

Only thing to consider is that if even half of what they claim is true they have big ambitions. Would you be prepared/able to put your education plans on hold to make this band work?[/quote]
+1 - top quality advice there

[quote name='BigRedX' post='609212' date='Sep 26 2009, 01:28 PM']Can you get on with playing the music? (I find I'm much more tolerant of music if I'm playing it rather than just listening to it). If so do the audition. It'll be good practice/experience at the very least. Remember that you're auditioning them as much as they are you.

Only thing to consider is that if even half of what they claim is true they have big ambitions. Would you be prepared/able to put your education plans on hold to make this band work?[/quote]

i've listened to the music, the basslines shouldn't be too difficult and its good music. and thats what i thought, so what if i don't get in? i wont be in any different a situation to the one i'm in now, so i might as well go for it anyway!

as for the education thing - it just depends on how big their ambitions and current level is at. i'm going to ask all this stuff at the audition (or do you think its worth me phoning the manager or something and askinig him before the audition? or asking him when he gets in contact about the audition?) but to be honest, they'd have to be doing pretty well for me to put my education on hold, theres not a massive chance of it happening at all and i'll let them know that, might as well be as honest as i can.

still - its an experience!

[quote name='Tait' post='609222' date='Sep 26 2009, 01:36 PM']i've listened to the music, the basslines shouldn't be too difficult and its good music. and thats what i thought, so what if i don't get in? i wont be in any different a situation to the one i'm in now, so i might as well go for it anyway!

as for the education thing - it just depends on how big their ambitions and current level is at. i'm going to ask all this stuff at the audition (or do you think its worth me phoning the manager or something and askinig him before the audition? or asking him when he gets in contact about the audition?) but to be honest, they'd have to be doing pretty well for me to put my education on hold, theres not a massive chance of it happening at all and i'll let them know that, might as well be as honest as i can.

still - its an experience![/quote]

Check it all out beforehand.
Then you'll know what you'll be expected to do if you tek the gig.

You may decide beforehand that you don't want the gig in which case you should not audition. It would be Ok for you to be asked but it's a pain for them if you know before you go that you don't want to join.

Wouldn't happen to be the "Town Mill" in Mansfield would it?? :brow:

My advise would be to make sure you are all on the same wavelength musically, and directionally. But above all, make sure that they all have personalities that appeal to you, so you all get along straight away. Nobody wants to spend a long time with a bunch of people they don't like :rolleyes:

Learn the songs of their myspace, and give the audition your best shot. It will be good experience for you.

Good Luck Dude :)

[quote name='retroman' post='609583' date='Sep 26 2009, 08:42 PM']Wouldn't happen to be the "Town Mill" in Mansfield would it?? :brow:

My advise would be to make sure you are all on the same wavelength musically, and directionally. But above all, make sure that they all have personalities that appeal to you, so you all get along straight away. Nobody wants to spend a long time with a bunch of people they don't like :rolleyes:

Learn the songs of their myspace, and give the audition your best shot. It will be good experience for you.

Good Luck Dude :)[/quote]

it would be the town mill, do you play there often? whats your band called? my current band is blaq rain, we've played there a few times, its a good but quite small venue!

[quote name='Tait' post='609222' date='Sep 26 2009, 01:36 PM']i've listened to the music, the basslines shouldn't be too difficult and its good music. and thats what i thought, so what if i don't get in? i wont be in any different a situation to the one i'm in now, so i might as well go for it anyway!

still - its an experience![/quote]

Wait until you do the audition, then you'll know if you fancy them and they fancy you... then you can weigh up any pros and cons.

If you don't get it, then no worries all round.. if they offer it to you...you can then ask what the plans/schedules are..

It is a two-way street, IMO.

AAAAHHHH! they just text me asking about a jam TODAY! i dunno if i can make it yet though, i'll ring them in a bit when i know...

i was thinking they were gonna give me some songs to learn or something... i might try and have a listen through their songs and try to work out the basslines the other bassplayer wrote now, although i realise they probably wont be expecing me to do that.

[quote name='Tait' post='609897' date='Sep 27 2009, 11:00 AM']AAAAHHHH! they just text me asking about a jam TODAY! i dunno if i can make it yet though, i'll ring them in a bit when i know...

i was thinking they were gonna give me some songs to learn or something... i might try and have a listen through their songs and try to work out the basslines the other bassplayer wrote now, although i realise they probably wont be expecing me to do that.[/quote]

They will.
Learn what the guy did, or pretty close.

[quote name='Tait' post='610171' date='Sep 27 2009, 06:07 PM']I GOT IN :)[/quote]
Well done that man!!

Did you get any further information about any record deal / their immediate ambitions, etc - i.e. are you gonna be posting about sold out US tours in the near future?

[quote name='Sean' post='610173' date='Sep 27 2009, 06:10 PM']Congrats. What's the crack then? Nice bunch of guys?[/quote]

yeah, they seem like cool guys! theyre a little older than me, they look about 18-19ish, whereas im 17 in 2 weeks. but they were nice enough guys.

[quote name='peteb' post='610318' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:41 PM']Well done that man!!

Did you get any further information about any record deal / their immediate ambitions, etc - i.e. are you gonna be posting about sold out US tours in the near future?[/quote]

they record at some studio fairly often by the sounds of it, but the drummers dad is the owner of a venue i've played a few times, and he's now setting up a studio and hiring a sound engineer and stuff, so it looks like we might be recording there in the future when its all up and running.

the manager mentioned something about going on tour, but i said i was at college, and the singer/guitarist said that he's just got an apprenticeship as a chef for a local football club so can't miss that, so nothing big like that is happening in the near future! however, the manager has got a band touring europe next week, so he seems to know what he's doing, so maybe we will go on tour over some holidays or something!

[quote name='retroman' post='610329' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:58 PM']Congrats Dude! :lol:

Hope all goes well for you :)[/quote]

thanks a lot :rolleyes: