Why become a member? ×

In praise of locking machine heads

Owen

[quote name='owen' post='606283' date='Sep 22 2009, 11:45 PM']I have just spent some quality time with my Bolin NS5 trying different strings. 4 sets. With Sperzel locking machines - no problemo. Old set off, new set on in about 3 mins flat. They are the future.[/quote]
:)

whats the problem with the original wheel...and whats the rush

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='mrcrow' post='606569' date='Sep 23 2009, 12:06 PM']:)

whats the problem with the original wheel...and whats the rush[/quote]

my thoughts exactly, must have been a nightmare trying to get all those strings back in their packets too...

[quote name='owen' post='606283' date='Sep 22 2009, 11:45 PM']I have just spent some quality time with my Bolin NS5 trying different strings. 4 sets. With Sperzel locking machines - no problemo. Old set off, new set on in about 3 mins flat. They are the future.[/quote]

I have to confess we may be in a minority here mate but I'm with you on this one. :)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='607953' date='Sep 24 2009, 06:00 PM']for a silly old guy who still rides a horse... :)

what exactly do they do and why are they needed[/quote]

Instead of relying on the string wrap keeping the string on the post, they are 'locked' and don't need any wraps around the post. Hence they require no thought/effort re. cutting and wrapping strings around the tuning peg (admittedly hardly a difficult job but made far easier non the less :rolleyes: ) and are quicker to change.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='607963' date='Sep 24 2009, 06:08 PM']been looking on google
do they give enough break angle[/quote]

Shouldn't make any difference, in fact on most basses they'd give more as the locking hole would be closer to the headstock face.

[quote name='silddx' post='608037' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:10 PM']TBH I think headless basses are the ultimate in stability and ease of string change. They also look ace. I wish Warwick would make a decent headless based on the Steinberger system. Don't tell me about that hideous Nobby Meidel thing though.[/quote]

The very first Warwick Thumb bass was intended to be a headless design... just saying. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='608084' date='Sep 24 2009, 08:56 PM']Good lord, I had no idea.[/quote]
With that kind of neck dive how could it have started out as anyhing else??? :)

Funnily enough - and rather more on topic - don't they just add more weight, or do you counter that by snipping off the excess string once they're locked in place? Sounds incredibly anal but I've recently discovered the delights of lightweight tuners on an erstwhile neck heavy instrument. Lightweight, locking machines, I'm off to the patent office........

[quote name='henry norton' post='608099' date='Sep 24 2009, 08:04 PM']Funnily enough - and rather more on topic - don't they just add more weight, or do you counter that by snipping off the excess string once they're locked in place? Sounds incredibly anal but I've recently discovered the delights of lightweight tuners on an erstwhile neck heavy instrument. Lightweight, locking machines, I'm off to the patent office........[/quote]

You do snip off the excess string but that doesn't save a great deal of weight. The weight saving is with the tuners themselves; the locking tuners on the Bolin basses are about as light as a tuner can conceivably be!

I have no problem changing a set of cleaned up strings in that sort of time on a 5, I reckon, but then I wouldn't spoil the whole thing for speed anyway...
I'd pay way more attention to the way the strings sat on the bridge as well...plus with strings off, it is a nice time to clean up the bass and wax/oil/polish it

FWIW... bass strings should lead straight to the posts with no deviation in line... IMV.. that way, you can swap the string around numerous times without any more kinks in the strings than necc'

I like a clean sound but have rotated my strings for years now and can't..literally...recall when I last bought a new set..
But will do so soon just for the sake of a few new pairs in the mix..