Why become a member? ×

Help out a school today... please read!

bennifer

Hi guys,
Might be a bit cheeky but was wondering if anyone has any kit they want to donate to a college? Could always do with a bit more kit, and i'm willing to drive wherever to pick up any useful equipment. If you've got something you want to donate give me a PM and i'll fill you in with more details!

Thanks to Jim (floyd pepper) for his donation of an Ibanez Soundwave bass and practise amp!

Cheers.

Edited by bennifer

[quote name='bennifer' post='604770' date='Sep 21 2009, 05:48 PM']Hey guys.

Recently I started work at Farnborough College of Technology, at which i'm working as their audio technician responsible for radio, theatre and recording studio departments - just my kinda thing! Budget at the college is pretty tight (its a kind alternative college - one that offers many a second chance if they haven't the best grades from school, and has a nursery for if students are young and have kids...) and I was wondering if anyone in the area had any bits they could afford to donate to the school.

The music tech department has only 3 amplifiers - a Roland Cube, Marshall MG30 and an old Torque PA/Bass/Keys type 20w combo. I've had to bodge some absolutely ancient monitors and desks into workable PA for each classroom, and we also only have 2 basses, 2 electric guitars and 2 drumkits - but with 20+ students in some of the classes its just a bit limited and is tough for the students to work around the supplied kit.

If anyone is wondering 'is this legit - is this guy just being stingy and trying to con us out of kit' kinda thing - please contact me on my work account -
[email protected] or on my work phone number:01252 405555 I think my office extension is 2276 - its MCA tech office.

Not really sure what im expecting people to offer, really if anyone has any amps/pa that just about work/easily repairable... even if they sound awful... or workable basses/guitars/acoustics they don't need and aren't likely to profit from please get in contact. It'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben Jordan[/quote]

I've got a few things that I could sort out. A small bass practice amp (Peavey I think - it's been in the loft for ages), and some effects pedals. I think I've also got a Boss bass multi-FX in the loft too. I'll take a look for it all tomorrow and let you know.

We've got an office down in Farnborough (on the Aerospace park), and I'm generally down there at least once a month, so could easily meet up. Let me check what I've got and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Mark.

[quote name='bennifer' post='604851' date='Sep 21 2009, 06:53 PM']Sounds pretty brilliant. Cheers! The aerospace business park is just around the corner from the college so thats pretty much perfect from that standpoint. Just let me know when you've had a look. Thanks again! Ben.[/quote]

Cool - I'll dig everything out tomorrow and post a list. Got 2 or 3 guitar stands, too. Any good?

Guitar stands are also handy, yep. If it keeps going like this we might have enough guitars to fill them! :)

Ahpook - cheers for the reply. I'm occasionally in London at weekends and could arrange to meet somewhere at some point suitable for you? An acoustic bass would be fantastic - especially as one of their courseworks is to do put together stripdown covers of modern full band rock songs. Whereabouts in London would be good for you?

[quote name='bennifer' post='605162' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:39 PM']Guitar stands are also handy, yep. If it keeps going like this we might have enough guitars to fill them! :)

Ahpook - cheers for the reply. I'm occasionally in London at weekends and could arrange to meet somewhere at some point suitable for you? An acoustic bass would be fantastic - especially as one of their courseworks is to do put together stripdown covers of modern full band rock songs. Whereabouts in London would be good for you?[/quote]

i can get to pretty much anywhere in central london. round king's cross/euston is practically on my doorstep.

let me know when you'll be about and we can sort something out.

i don't have a case for the bass though, so although i could bring in down in one, you'd need your own 'protection', as it were.

Fantastic, ok, well i'll be in contact next time i'm heading into London - should be within the next few weekends, if thats ok? I should be able to bring a bass case along with me, otherwise shall just be gentle with it in transport on the way back down.

Cheers for the great response so far :)

Sorry - been away at short notice with work, so not had the chance to dig out the bits & pieces yet. I'll definitely do it over the weekend, though.

Good news is it looks like I'll be in Farnborough on the 6th Oct, so if you're around, we can meet up then.

Cheers

Mark.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Jim (Floyd Pepper) for coming over to the college and donating us some bits of kit! We now have an Ibanez Soundwave bass guitar and Ibanez practise amp to add to our music department. Cheers Jim!

Attached is a pic of a student rocking out on the bass :)

Edited by bennifer

[quote name='bennifer' post='652903' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:54 PM']Thanks to Jim (Floyd Pepper) for coming over to the college and donating us some bits of kit! We now have an Ibanez Soundwave bass guitar and Ibanez practise amp to add to our music department. Cheers Jim!

Attached is a pic of a student rocking out on the bass :)[/quote]

Great pic Ben. Better to be used than sitting in my loft!
Best of luck

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bennifer' post='604770' date='Sep 21 2009, 04:48 PM']Hi guys,
Might be a bit cheeky but was wondering if anyone has any kit they want to donate to a college? Could always do with a bit more kit, and i'm willing to drive wherever to pick up any useful equipment. If you've got something you want to donate give me a PM and i'll fill you in with more details!

Thanks to Jim (floyd pepper) for his donation of an Ibanez Soundwave bass and practise amp!

Cheers.[/quote]
hi all,
it's spring cleaning time for me..
so i have a trace elliot 4x10 200w 4 ohm cab going free to someone who needs/wants it. it is tatty, and missing it's badge, but that just makes it more punk-rock ! ..otherwise it's in fine working order. it has speakon, jack & xlr connectors.
it cost me £50 a few years back, but in a mad moment of altruism (is that possible when you're not rich ?), i would prefer to give it away to a beginner or anyone who's in a tight spot at the moment.
please don't take it and re-sell it, that would ruin the gesture.
feel free to ask any questions
i live near stamford, lincs. you will need to collect.
happy new year to all.
send me a message, and i'll try and decide who should have it (roll a dice or something, i dunno, haven't thought that far ahead yet)

Would you be interested in a guitar? I've got a Japcrap Maya SG copy (thin plywood body, neck like a baseball bat sawn in half) that's been stood in the corner of my hallway for years, waiting for me to do something with it. It's not great but it works.

Dave

Hi Philestein, the trace cab sounds very interesting, but I don't have any trips up to Lincoln area planned for the moment so don't think i'll be able to get it - shame... If I head up there (went to uni in Lincoln so would like to visit mates!) i'll let you know. Cheers for the offer!

Dave - guitar sounds interesting. Would be very handy, as unfortunately we have more guitarists than bassists here! Are you based in Bristol? are you ever in the Surrey/London are? Cheers,
Ben

Hi Ben.

I am Bristol based but t'other half's mother lives in Hampshire (Fleet) so we could meet somewhere in the Fleet/Farnborough/Aldershot area next time I'm down that way? are you in a hurry for stuff or is this an ongoing project?

Edited by TheRev

Hi Ben,

As I live just around the corner any way I can help out?

Let me know what you are short of and I will see if I have anything. I know I have a 24 channel mixer in the loft, not used it for a while but I am sure it would be ok, and from memory its like new and still in its box.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...