Why become a member? ×

Line6 M9

nash

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='650019' date='Nov 9 2009, 08:01 PM']Tried every conceivable way of connecting, powering etc, still not recognising M9 over midi
also did a factory reset, still nothing

T[/quote]

Hmm, I managed to install it on Edstraker's pc - mind you it still took loads of goes - have you got acess to to any other pc's at all?

Tried it on my laptop, my G5 running Leopard and a guitarists PC that has been used to update other line 6 devices!

Midi interface is one I bought from PMT yesterday, Forgot the make, Light......! or somethin like that, wasn't a budget job!!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

Tried two sperate midi set ups.
I mentioned several times that I tried it on a system that has been used to update Line 6 products (x3 etc) via monkey before
Yes, swapped cables round.
I've been using stuff like this for a long time, so have half an idea what I am doing, please read what I've wrote previousley cos I'm just repeating myself a lot here!

T

No problem, its just a little bit frustrating!
I'm really hoping that this is going to be something simple like a midi interface, so I have a plan this morning!
I've brought the midi interface into work, going to give it to someone I know who uses midi a lot, for him to test
It still may be possible it's a midi problem as the other system I used it on was connected via a midi patch bay, but this has been used on Line 6 devices before??
Also posted on Line 6 forum, but not checked yet for replies and after being advised to ring Line 6, all I got was a request to send an e-mail, to which I have yet to get a reply

T

The only other stuff I can suggest is making sure you're using the front USB ports, having as little other USB stuff connected as possible and closing any unnecessary programs? :/ Maybe using a different MIDI interface? Mine is just a cheapy eBay job - USB connector one end, two MIDI connectors on the other. Don't know what you're using?

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='650448' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:36 AM']I shut everything down and tried different usb ports, still no joy
Also tried on my mac, still didn't work
Got a guy in work bringing another usb-midi interface in tomorrow

Cheers

Tony[/quote]

MB1. :)
Hey T!
....Ive Got this Big Hammer!..Let me know! :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the ancient thread bump, but I'm wondering how all you M9 users are getting on now that the novelty has worn off and you've lived with them for a couple of years!

As well as my bass playing, I'm also playing a lot of guitar at the moment, and finding that I'm short of a lot of the sounds I want/need. I'm looking at the M9 as an 'all-in-one' solution for my bass and guitar effects instead of spunking on tons of pedals, but wanted to see how you guys are getting on with it first.

So, any thoughts two years in?

Mike

I have used mine on guitar when recording demos but not for anything serious, and I don't gig on guitar only bass.

On my bass live pedalboard it's still holding its place quite firmly. I mostly use it for pitch shifting, the 'Attack Synth' patch, one of the compressors, one O/D, one of the phasers, one of the tremolos, couple of other bits and bobs. I actually bought it as a general-purpose modulation and delay box but I've found I rarely use them.

I think I'm keeping it because it does so many things well in such a small box. If I was to replicate all the functionality I use regularly with individual boxes I would probably need a pedalboard twice as big. And it would cost twice as much at least.

Cheers dude! Good info.

I'm only using a couple of pedals for bass (TU-2 -> Ashdown J-Lo -> Boss ODB-3 -> Crybaby 105Q -> Amp) but I'm looking for my guitar chain to shape up like this:

TU-2 -> Volume Pedal -> Crybaby -> MXR Micro Amp -> Tremolo -> Phaser -> EHX Deluxe Memory Boy -> EHX Nano Holy Grail -> Amp

Even pricing that up used (with all the cables/power/board-building) would come to more than the cost of a new M9 - and considering that I'd like to add a Whammy and another drive pedal at some point in the future, if the M-series can cover all of that stuff it might well make more sense. I know I'd have to budget for a pair of expression pedals too though - it's tricky, this GAS thing! :)

I've had mine for a couple of years and its still on my pedal board although I have dabbled with the idea of selling it a couple of times.

It just does a lot of things really, really well. Its deffo not as good as the better / boutique individual stomp boxes but its still pretty good. I'd have to replace mine with at least another 6 quality pedals if I considered replacing it - and then I wouldn't be able to fit them all on my board.

Just read your list of pedals that you have - you may need to keep you wah - not sure about guitar but the M9 wah's are pretty poor on bass. imo of course.

Edited by burno70

If you dabble with the idea of renting it out to another Liverpool-based BC'er let me know :)

I'll have to swing by Dawsons and see if they'll let me have a play with one - had my heart set on the EHX delay after having one on loan from our ex-guitarist for a bit, it's going to have to live up to that!

Love the idea of the effects loop on the M13 so you can place your 'real' pedals in the middle of the chain, I assume using drive pedals in front of the M9 would ruin any chance of decent tracking from the Whammy - haven't got M13 cash though!!

[quote name='mike257' post='1365423' date='Sep 7 2011, 04:34 PM']I'll have to swing by Dawsons and see if they'll let me have a play with one - had my heart set on the EHX delay after having one on loan from our ex-guitarist for a bit, it's going to have to live up to that![/quote]

I think the Deluxe Memory Boy is a great pedal, but delays on the M9 are interesting too. There's a few great-sounding patches but the best thing is the expression control over any of the params, and the fact that you can combine an expression transition in a delay with other transitions in two other effects (say a whammy shift and a change in the pattern or waveform or a tremolo) all at the same time with one foot - these possibilities are what helped it win out over individual boxes for me. That and the editing interface is quick and easy enough to be able to experiment and come up with useful new sounds very quickly.

[quote name='mike257' post='1365423' date='Sep 7 2011, 04:34 PM']Love the idea of the effects loop on the M13 so you can place your 'real' pedals in the middle of the chain, I assume using drive pedals in front of the M9 would ruin any chance of decent tracking from the Whammy - haven't got M13 cash though!![/quote]

You'll be fine. I routinely feed the input of my Brown Dog fuzz into the pitch shift patch and even the smart harmony patch and it just doesn't care, no problems.

My main gripe about the M series pedals is there's no sensitivity control for the envelope-following effects, meaning that I just don't use the envelope filters at all because I would have to adjust my input gain which is impractical for me in a live situation. And there are patches which boost the output level and have no parameter to adjust it back down to something normal, which sometimes means you end up using a patch set to 'volume pedal' just to correct the level, which is a waste of a slot. I really wish Line 6 would fix these issues but it doesn't seem like they're too keen to patch the firmware again.

• 7 months later...

Ancient thread resurrection! I'm currently trying to get hold of an M9 myself (so if anyone wants to sell there's please shoot me a PM :)) as I've been so impressed with how well it looks like it can take care of all my delay, reverb and modulation wants. For the price it seems pretty unbeatable and it's going to allow me to slightly downsize my set-up which will be nice.