Why become a member? ×

Help! Do you have a popular bass and ability to record it decently?

alexclaber

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the interest of letting people compare the sounds of my various models, without actually hearing them in person, I'd like to get some nice recordings of popular bass sounds which I can re-amp through my various cabs and then record (with various mics). The plan is to have say a Fender Jazz with roundwounds, funked up, rocked out, throughly dub-heavy, etc all through DI onto a digital recording medium. Then I'll play that back through my U5/PLX through each of my cabs and mic them both up close and at a distance, on and off-axis with an SM57 and some small and large diaphragm condensers. Then you'll be able to listen to both the DI'd bass, and all the different miked recordings of each cab (multiple mics hopefully making up for mic colouration). And then the same with say a flatwound Precision, a Rickenbacker with a pick, a StingRay, etc etc. Plus some effected stuff - overdrive, fuzz, etc. Would be nice to get some of these sounds through a clean DI but others through the preamp sections of popular amps. Maybe a Sansamp or two as well.

I was going to do this with my bass but how many of your own a thru-neck chambered 36" with Q-Tuners? Not a great reference point methinks!

As I've said to various people, this still won't tell you what the cabs sound like, but it will allow you to compare one to another.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

[quote name='davidmpires' post='595479' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:43 AM']I have a Spector Euro 5 LX with Elixirs, if that's any help.[/quote]

I guess that's a modern classic, so yes! DI'd from your Markbass F1, all EQ flat, three different pickup balances, would be great. Any techniques you play. I think 128k MP3 is perfectly sufficient quality so files should be emailable.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='595481' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:49 AM']I guess that's a modern classic, so yes! DI'd from your Markbass F1, all EQ flat, three different pickup balances, would be great. Any techniques you play. I think 128k MP3 is perfectly sufficient quality so files should be emailable.

Alex[/quote]

Will do. I have only the ZoomH4 to record with. Hope that's ok.
Techniques, I use my thumb quite a lot, both as a pick or a la sting style. I'm sure you will get tons of slappers. (no pun intended)

Can I run my amp without the speaker pluged in? Don't think you can.

Edited by davidmpires

[quote name='Linus27' post='595540' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:44 AM']I have a Stingray 4 3EQ with rounds, Fender USA Jazz 75 Re-Issue with rounds and Squire Vintage Modifed Fretless Jazz with flats on if any of these are any good to you? I can run it flat out of my Shuttle 6.[/quote]

Yes please! Will be interesting to have two different players through both StingRays and Jazzes, though you'll have the colouration of the Shuttle 6.0

Si, I think you and your Roscoe could be good because I know you're quite a one for a bright modern sound which will show up the differences in the highs between the single drivers, woofer+mid, and woofer+tweeter cabs.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='595547' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:54 AM']Yes please! Will be interesting to have two different players through both StingRays and Jazzes, though you'll have the colouration of the Shuttle 6.0

Si, I think you and your Roscoe could be good because I know you're quite a one for a bright modern sound which will show up the differences in the highs between the single drivers, woofer+mid, and woofer+tweeter cabs.

Alex[/quote]

I am also a pick player of 23 years so I can do both with pick and fingers if you like.

[quote name='Linus27' post='595548' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:56 AM']I am also a pick player of 23 years so I can do both with pick and fingers if you like.[/quote]

Yes, pick would be great!

Regarding settings on the bass, just take a note of what you've done and let me know regarding pickup balance, passive tone, onboard EQ.

Alex

i'm gonna do

Stingray 4 String 3 eq.

Sansamp BDDI 50/50 blend, small amount of grit, all controls 12:00. I will use a pick for the rock sound - killers/green day type sounds.

LM2 di out - clean, finger style funky groovy style.

These are the 2 sounds I use live, so I am familiar with the live settings that work and I use at gigs.

i've just skimmed through this so i don't know if any of these basses have been mentioned already.

i don't own anything popular, i have an ibanez SR500 and then my taitycaster. but my dad has a MIJ precision with EMGs, a warwick thumb, a fretless jazz, a rickenbacker, and a stingray. i can get recordings of all those clean if you want me to.

Alright man, I've got a Spector NS 5 and a Vintage (JHS) Jazz copy I'm doing some d.i. recording clips with. I'm doing them through a DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive an i can drop you them if you want. I'm guna do a walking line, a slap groove, a finger funk groove, a tapping phrase, some plectrum rock and A odd meter low F# djent groove.

Just let me know if you want to use em.

[quote name='Tait' post='595670' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:41 PM']i don't own anything popular, i have an ibanez SR500 and then my taitycaster. but my dad has a MIJ precision with EMGs, a warwick thumb, a fretless jazz, a rickenbacker, and a stingray. i can get recordings of all those clean if you want me to.[/quote]

Yes to all! SR500 would be good because there's a lot of those about. What/where are the pickups in the Taitycaster?

Alex