Why become a member? ×

double bass to acoustic bass guitar

saxobass

I`m a double bass player currently prevented from playing by the onset of rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists. My folky friends have suggested I buy an acoustic bass guitar in order to carry on playing for them. Any comments, suggestions and recommendations would be very welcome.

A totally biased reply here.

I say biased because the one bass I would recommend is the the one I have up for sale on here. I would have given you the same answer a week ago when I wasn't selling it as I think it has the best acoustic sound of any bass I've seen.

The Tacoma Thunderchief in any guise is a big sounding bass, warm, woody and loves to be played.

[quote name='saxobass' post='594224' date='Sep 9 2009, 07:39 PM']I`m a double bass player currently prevented from playing by the onset of rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists. My folky friends have suggested I buy an acoustic bass guitar in order to carry on playing for them. Any comments, suggestions and recommendations would be very welcome.[/quote]

What are you going to do with your DB as i may be interested if you decide to sell??

Steve

You won't get the tone or volume from an acoustic bass guitar that you will
from an upright. You need a large body to project the low frequencies,hence the
size of an upright. An acoustic bass guitar will struggle to be heard over an acoustic
guitar.
The only Acoustic Bass guitar I've heard that had any decent volume was the Taylor,and
even then it was struggling against an acoustic guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the Stoll acoustic is very loud too - it's a BIG bass!

[url="http://www.stollguitars.de/Bass_Akustikbass.htm"]Stoll Acoustic Bass[/url]

And no, German bass player Ralf Gauck is NO dwarf :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JN5v8oBv3w"]Ralf Gauck playing Stoll Bass[/url]

It's not cheap, 2.200 Euro, but compared to a decent double bass..

Greetings

Ingo

I just bought a Resonator Bass which is extremely good fun. Not like a double bass but it loosely fits that sort of look, although tonally very different. I think depending on what style of music you play, it may be worth considering a traditional bass guitar. I play acoustic-y music and if I don't use a double bass a P-bass is fine.

Rarer than hen's teeth to stumble across but here's my resonator bass

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of these arriving in the very near future - a Veillette Archtop Bass.

More versatile than a Rob Allen and Godin as it has the magnetic pickup as well, and the piezo can dial in a nice uprightish tone.

Still need an amp though...

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' post='631296' date='Oct 20 2009, 01:23 PM']I have one of these arriving in the very near future - a Veillette Archtop Bass.

More versatile than a Rob Allen and Godin as it has the magnetic pickup as well, and the piezo can dial in a nice uprightish tone.[/quote]
When that arrives I'd be very interested to A/B that with my Rob Allen Deep 5.

Andy