Why become a member? ×

Preamp / DI

Aussiephoenix

hey guys,

I've decided to let go most of my effects, keeping only Chorus, Tuner and Multicomp on my Pedalboard.

Im looking to get a [b]good[/b] [u]Preamp/DI[/u] that isnt TOOOO expensive.

I've already had a MXR M80+ and an Aphex Bass Exciter.

I was curious about the DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive valve OD, EQ, DI, I like the idea that it is valve driven, though that isnt essential.

What else is there that you've tried and loved and doesnt blow the budget too much?

Cheers.

Assuming you will be running it though a power amp when you want to drive a bass cab, check out the PJB Bass Buddy. Really excellent, and about £200.

If you can go higher, then the Eden WTX series are great heads which can also be used either as a pre-amp or as a pro-quality DI box. With the Eden WTX500 getting established now, there should be some good deals on the WTX260 available. Think £400 or less.

My own WTX260 will shortly be coming free (WTX500 arrives next Tuesday) so that's an option if you're not concerned about pre-owned amps.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='593805' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:05 PM']Assuming you will be running it though a power amp when you want to drive a bass cab, check out the PJB Bass Buddy. Really excellent, and about £200.

If you can go higher, then the Eden WTX series are great heads which can also be used either as a pre-amp or as a pro-quality DI box. With the Eden WTX500 getting established now, there should be some good deals on the WTX260 available. Think £400 or less.

My own WTX260 will shortly be coming free (WTX500 arrives next Tuesday) so that's an option if you're not concerned about pre-owned amps.[/quote]

Hmmm, nah, the ideia is to get a compact box I can use as straight preamp/DI -> mixer or, using it as a preamp/Driver -> Eden Nemesis combo

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='593985' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:18 PM']if bang for buck is the prime requirement, either the VXL mentioned above, or the Behringer BDI21 are worth looking into[/quote]

Its not the prime requirement... versatility, functionalities, good clean are higher up in my requirements. as far as buck goes, I can go up to 150£ roughly...

Well I swear by my Fishman Pro EQ Platinum: it's compact, with xlr out for PA, jack out for backline (and another for tuner). Phantom, battery or mains. Phase switch, 5 band graphic, volume, input gain, compression & depth controls. Pre/post setting for sending a clean/altered signal to the xlr output. Lift/ground switch.

my experience of the BDI is exactly the opposite of that mentioned above. It has always performed well for me and those i loan it to. (it is held as a spare bass DI as a part of our church's PA.

personally i own both the VXL, bass exciter and the mxr. The mxr it was i will always by choice. an excellent piece of kit. IME far better than the BDDI. I still have a hankering to try the tone hammer though!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='594232' date='Sep 9 2009, 07:44 PM']I settled on a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45784"]DHA VT2-Twin-EQ-Bass[/url] after owning BDDI, Paradriver & Microbass II and deciding they were only pretending.[/quote]

Ufff... 249£ is a bit much for me I'm 'fraid.

dudewheresmybass, I'm also looking for a ToneHammer to try out. I love Aguilar, so I think that would do what I want out of it.

Oh man, I got a VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive off Dave and its stunning, so full had harmonically rich! The EQ's unreal, so usable its untrue and the mid Q's perfect for getting a narrow band mid boost so you cut through the mix. The gain channels sick, you can go from subtle valve warmth to that proper grindy valve drive! Plus the D.I. is hi-fi as fook, I do all my recording with it now. It's got a input pad pot, Boost (additional clean output volume to the valve signal using a low noise op-amp), Bright (hi freq boost) and Colour (Comp/gain boost) got it all man.

Plus the freq response is stupid, I use a 5 string with a low F# for my band (sub 20hz low) reproduces with out even trying, and it make this Vintage Jazz copy I have sound like a real fender '75!

I'm doing some sound clips of is soon that i’m guna post up so check them out.
But yeah get one, best £150 you'll ever spend.

Edited by Bo Millward

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bo Millward' post='600111' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:57 PM']Oh man, I got a VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive off Dave and its stunning, so full had harmonically rich! The EQ's unreal, so usable its untrue and the mid Q's perfect for getting a narrow band mid boost so you cut through the mix. The gain channels sick, you can go from subtle valve warmth to that proper grindy valve drive! Plus the D.I. is hi-fi as fook, I do all my recording with it now. It's got a input pad pot, Boost (additional clean output volume to the valve signal using a low noise op-amp), Bright (hi freq boost) and Colour (Comp/gain boost) got it all man.

Plus the freq response is stupid, I use a 5 string with a low F# for my band (sub 20hz low) reproduces with out even trying, and it make this Vintage Jazz copy I have sound like a real fender '75!

I'm doing some sound clips of is soon that i’m guna post up so check them out.
But yeah get one, best £150 you'll ever spend.[/quote]
thanks man , i did and it was ; )

No mention for the EBS Microbass yet?

I'm looking into the same sort of thing at the moment and the list I've looked at so far is -

Hartke VXL
Sansamp BDDI/PDDI
Behringer BDI21
DHA's pedals
MXR M80 (which I've tried and liked, but not quite the distortion I'm looking for)
Radial Tonebone
Aguilar Tone Hammer

I wasn't aware of Fishman's offerings until just now.

TBH I'm leaning towards the Sansamp (probably Para Driver if I can find one), if only because its the one that the greatest number of sound engineers will allow me to plug into their PA.