Why become a member? ×

Speaker upgrade...which one?

pal1972

ive got an ashdown LG1000 head which i use with a markbass 210P cab (obviously just runing one side of the amp head = 500w) the head puts out at 4 ohm per side and the cab is 4 ohm so OK! now ive just got an ashdown MAG115 to use also, but its 8ohm! so i'd like to change the speaker for a 4ohm oneinstead to maximise poerw output. Ive been looking at eminence and celestions, but theres so many variations i'm confused!!!! i'd like ot tto be light (obviously wont be as light as my markbass though) but these ae more expensive! so anyone any suggestions as to which speaker to go for?????

Don't see the problem if the amp is stereo.. I don't known the amp but you implied that with the 'one side' remark..otherwise the amp just has tow power outputs ..???

So run 8 ohms on one side and 4 on the other at full range and let the balance control take care of the mix..

If the amp is not stereo...then just dasiy change the cabs so you are getting a nominal 6 ohms ... I say nominal as impedance isn't as precise as they imply, anyway...

I do this with a 4 and 8 ohm cab..works fine...

As a general rule tho..I would not be putting a 500watt cab on a 500 watt output signal... I would be way over with my cabs esp when running bass..

I MAY be putting the cat amoungst the pigeons here, but if it's out and out volume you are looking for (and I know the Mag cab can handle plenty of output as it had walls rattling when I had it!) you may want to point the finger of suspicion at your head.

I had a Superfly 1000, which I believe uses the same power amp as the Little Giant and it was a VERY quiet 2x500w (and yes, I was running it at 4 ohms before anyone chirps in), my backup Behringer BX3000 always felt MUCH louder.

Before you rush into replacing the speaker (as that RCL in the MAG is a corker!), see if you can borrow a head from someone who is local to you and try it with your cabs, I'm not a betting man but I would expect you to be surprised!

Cheers,
James

I know what you mean! I had the mag 300 head prior tothis and although i didnt have either of these cabs the head was LOUD! i bought a LG350 but that was rediculously quiet! then bought the LG1000, and used it through a marshall 4x10 and thought it loud enough, then i got the markbass 2x10 in place of the marshall and thought it a little quieter!? Although the volume i have with the head and MB 210 is plenty loud enough for most f my gigs, one thing puzzles me...... On my MAG300 head i had the input on half or just over and the output on about 2 o'clock. With my LG ive got the input on about 3/4 (three oclock) and the output on about the same and yet i'm supposed to have an extra 200 watt!!!!????? You may be right! (and by the way this is in no way a reflection on your cab!!)

I'm no expert, but I've noticed that amplifiers with class D power amps, they often seem much quieter than more 'conventional' amps.

Deffo check out another head before doing any more speaker work...although the Superfly let me down in a big way anyway, I was never happy with the output I got from it, and think the Little Giant is of a similar nature! As I say, even my Behringer who supposedly inflate their output figures totally trounced it for output.

Cheers,
James

If the amp really is producing 250W into 8 ohms and 500W into 4 ohms, then your current 15" woofer is getting as much power at it can handle without over-excursion. There are very few 4 ohm 15"s on the market and none that I can think of at an affordable price that can handle over 250W cleanly.

Bear in mind that knob position and output power do not correlate. There are 100W amps that are as loud as 1000W amps at equal knob settings, but the 1000W amp can be turned up more and more. The only way of knowing how powerful an amp really is is to turn it up until it starts clipping/limiting. The LG amps do appear to be quiet for their ratings which suggests that some liberties have been taken with the latter. Pro audio power amps are rated to strict standards, whilst when comparing bass amps you might be comparing one 500W amp that produces that 500W @ 5% THD for a 10ms burst whilst another 500W amp might produce its 500W @ 0.1% THD and be able to sustain that power continuously. If the second amp was rated according to the less stringent specs then it might turn out to be 1200W @ 5% THD for a 10ms burst. BIG difference.

Alex

according to ashdown the LG1000 puts out 2 x500w at 4ohms each, so i'm using a markbass 210P rated at 4ohm, and then the MAG15 rated at 8ohms. I just think that given the input and output volumes are set at 3/4 there should be much more volume than i'm getting?????

If i was to buy a different head what 8ohm rating would i need to run either just the markbass or a combination of both???

Hmmm, I think if I were you, i'd consider something like one of the Peavey Firebass or similar - dirt cheap but bags o' power and happy down to 2 ohms if you did replace the 15 in the Mag for a 4 ohm unit.

Usually got for less than £200 - you could probably shift the Little Giant for a shade less than that?

EDIT: Typos galore.

Edited by Moos3h

[quote name='Moos3h' post='592644' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:10 AM']I'm no expert, but I've noticed that amplifiers with class D power amps, they often seem much quieter than more 'conventional' amps.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

MarkBass may well be the exception, but my LM2 is VERY loud.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so i ran the cab in anger last night for the first time since getting it! ran an ashdown MAG600 head through it. the cab is rated at 8ohm so volume wise was pretty much 3 qtr on the amp head. had good bottom end but did fart out a bit, and the high range lacked clarity. So defo decided to change the driver. I'll prob keep it a t 8ohm, so if i get 600w at 4ohm out of the head, i gues it'll be around 450w at 8ohm. So which driver would be best to put into the MAG115 cab?? to ensure i get good bass response (no farting) and decent high sound??? I'm thinking eminence kappa?????

Advice/suggestions gladly welcomed!!!!!!!

[quote name='pal1972' post='603764' date='Sep 20 2009, 06:01 PM']OK so i ran the cab in anger last night for the first time since getting it! ran an ashdown MAG600 head through it. the cab is rated at 8ohm so volume wise was pretty much 3 qtr on the amp head. had good bottom end but did fart out a bit, and the high range lacked clarity. So defo decided to change the driver. I'll prob keep it a t 8ohm, so if i get 600w at 4ohm out of the head, i gues it'll be around 450w at 8ohm. So which driver would be best to put into the MAG115 cab?? to ensure i get good bass response (no farting) and decent high sound??? I'm thinking eminence kappa?????

Advice/suggestions gladly welcomed!!!!!!![/quote]

I would seriously step back and stop at this point.....take stock of what you really want to spend and look at getting an alternate new/used cab. Throwing in an alternate driver could just be like putting money down the drain.

Try a few alternate cabs if you can, work out what you [i]really [/i]want, but just throwing a new driver in an existing cab is only likely to loose you cash, and not really gain much in tone/volume. Perhaps it will handle more power, but only in as much as it wont burn itself to bits...Its not likely that you will gain much in percieved volume.

Dave

[quote name='pal1972' post='604890' date='Sep 21 2009, 07:40 PM']As the RCL drivers are primarily PA drivers do they work best in a sealed cab??? if so is it OK to block up the rear port holes on my cab???[/quote]
No, that would be a retrograde step. They'll handle less power that way.