Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this MM SR Auction?

Great bass;
One of the less popular colour combos;
3 band EQ not generally regarded as good as the 2 band EQ;
Zero feedback seller;
If you can view before you buy, or cash on collection to make sure it's legit you might end up with a bargain for around £550 - £575

The 2 band vs 3 band argument can go either way in my experience, the two band is regarded as a more vintage sort of sound while the 3 band is more modern and versatile, neither is better than the other, but both very nice basses. That looks like a great example of a trans teal in great condition. Judging by the bridge and hardware etc looks like a '93 (or close) model. Looks like a 'flea bridge' actually, which to EBMM afficionados, is a little bit special. Have a gander [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]here[/url] if you're not too sure what that means, should put your mind at ease if you're doubting if it's real or not. According to the seller he may have bought it used or old stock, but it's genuine for sure.
EDIT: having looked at that site, it's a '92-'94 as that's definitely a 'flea bridge'

Auction looks pretty legit, but as it's a first time seller, i would try and pay cash on collection, though the auction doesn't look dodgy in the least. If you like what you tried, i would definitely go for it.

Edited by budget bassist

I have a 3 eq and love it. It's very forgiving for my crappy style of playing. Always pick it up first for a practice, although I have 'better' basses.
Hamster is right, anything up to £600 is a good deal, although I'd want to see it in the
flesh before parting. particularly with zero feedback.
Andy

looks like a decent enough bass in the pics so worth following up...IMO

Zero feedback is the thing...so I'd want a face to face to make sure all is well....

Might look better with a white plate, as the black doesn't really work.. I would prefer 3 band EQ rather than 2, personally, altho some mids can be unusable..

I [i]swear[/i] I've seen that bass listed regularly with the same photo...just like a stunning mid-90's bright orange burst 'ray with the clear pickguard and maple neck which regularly used to pop up. I am probably wrong, but I'd want to see it in the wood (so to speak) before handing over any cash!

Mebby ask for a photo with it and today's paper or something?

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='590561' date='Sep 5 2009, 12:37 PM']I [i]swear[/i] I've seen that bass listed regularly with the same photo...just like a stunning mid-90's bright orange burst 'ray with the clear pickguard and maple neck which regularly used to pop up. I am probably wrong, but I'd want to see it in the wood (so to speak) before handing over any cash!

Mebby ask for a photo with it and today's paper or something?[/quote]

I've sent him a few messages now and there has been no response, might be a dodgy one.

It's perfectly natural to wonder about the credentials of a zero feedback seller - but we all had to start somewhere.

There's a hundred reasons why anyone - maybe esp a new ebayer - doesn't relpy to messages.

I'm all for 'innocent until proven guilty' - but you have to protect yourself first.

Petrol or a train ticket to Leeds is a lot cheaper than losing hundreds of pounds to a scammer , and if you have any doubt whatsoever insist on seeing the bass in advance or paying cash on collection. The seller has offered the option to pay cash and collect and that's a good sign unless it's a total bad egg who does that to lull folk who need to use other options into a false sense of security

A genuine seller - esp a newbie unwise to the fact that there are many scammers out there - will , or should , understand that attitude.

Re Stingrays.... if you liked what you played - play more of them. Make the effort , go to shops , try and find out (maybe here) if anyone near you has one you could try.

If you then decide you want one - there's no shortage of Rays on the market and I'd be suprised if you couldn't get sorted with what you want for around the £650 mark.

Edited by Dr.Dave

I'd just like to add that i recently bought a bass from a zero feedback seller, no pictures in the listing and a too-good-to-be-true price. Received the bass last week and it's excellent! The seller was very responsive to questions though, supplied pics and details readily
In that case the seller was new to eBay and didn't think people would be wary of the auction, he was actually one of the more genuine sellers out there!

RE this listing, as others have said if the seller isn't responding and you can't view the bass then it might be best to leave it unless you don't mind the risk of losing the postage fee in a Paypal claim. Also you the money would go to your Paypal account so they'd take another slice of the pie when it's transferred back to your bank. Weigh up the potential loss and decide if you wanna chance it!

[quote name='JTUK' post='590435' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:10 AM']looks like a decent enough bass in the pics so worth following up...IMO

Zero feedback is the thing...so I'd want a face to face to make sure all is well....

Might look better with a white plate, as the black doesn't really work.. I would prefer 3 band EQ rather than 2, personally, altho some mids can be unusable..[/quote]

I changed mine from a black plate to a white one and I reckon it looks great:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=25449&view=findpost&p=505243"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=505243[/url]

Got mine from ebay for £695 I think, it's a '96.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='590588' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:02 PM']It's perfectly natural to wonder about the credentials of a zero feedback seller - but we all had to start somewhere.

There's a hundred reasons why anyone - maybe esp a new ebayer - doesn't relpy to messages.

I'm all for 'innocent until proven guilty' - but you have to protect yourself first.

Petrol or a train ticket to Leeds is a lot cheaper than losing hundreds of pounds to a scammer , and if you have any doubt whatsoever insist on seeing the bass in advance or paying cash on collection. The seller has offered the option to pay cash and collect and that's a good sign unless it's a total bad egg who does that to lull folk who need to use other options into a false sense of security

A genuine seller - esp a newbie unwise to the fact that there are many scammers out there - will , or should , understand that attitude.

[u]Re Stingrays.... if you liked what you played - play more of them. Make the effort , go to shops , try and find out (maybe here) if anyone near you has one you could try.[/u]
If you then decide you want one - there's no shortage of Rays on the market and I'd be suprised if you couldn't get sorted with what you want for around the £650 mark.[/quote]

Dr Dave's suggestion seems very sensible. I live in Stockport and I have a (fretless) Stingray that you're more than welcome to come round and try anytime. I also have a G&L L-2000 Tribute for sale which would be a VERY acceptable alternative at half the price...

Steve