Why become a member? ×

So I'm Playing the Albert Hall

fusionbassist1

Hi guys n gals,

A gig a did about a month back in Birmingham for a choir on a "just come in read the dots" kind of basis has turned out to be arather prosperous as they're now performing at the Albert Hall next month.

I'm on a gap year to network my arse off, get a substancial repetoire of classic albums under my belt (I'm trying to shift my gigging to recording ratio more over to the latter as I really enjoy recording work) and memorise standards etc and seeing as i'll be there for the day of the performance and either that night or the night before depending what day we travel down I might as well see if there's any clubs/jam nights/cool places i could pop round to either with my bass or without to just get my face around and get a tiny little insight into what's on offer in terms of that kind of stuff if i ever end up in london for uni or sometime in the future.

Yes i am a stupid fart who takes stuff a bit serious but there is indeed no rest for the wicked :)

The performance is October 10th and i'll either have the night before that to mooche about or the following afternoon or the evening of the 10th after the performance depending on what they plan.

All of this could be thrown out of the window if they say they'd like to rehearse every second of free time there is but it's good to plan ahead.

Cheers,

Ben.

P.S. I was at PMT Music Manchester last week and got into a really good chat with one of the staff and the rest of the staff there where really helpful too, even let me try out a fairly pricey Orange setup they had there so thanx to any of them if they read this post and although it was only my third time there I'd still highly recommend them to anyone in the area.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='589059' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:15 PM']I've played the Albert Hall. However, not the bass. I played Xylophone in a brass band competition (which we won by the way). Not cool :)

Good luck with that..... it's actually a hell of a lot smaller than you think it's going to be.[/quote]

Does the Albert Hall have a reputation for bad acoustics?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='589083' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:37 PM']Does the Albert Hall have a reputation for bad acoustics?[/quote]

Yeh - the acoustics are terrible. They have huge inverted mushrooms suspended from the ceiling which are supposed to help but it's still like an echo chamber. I think quite a lot of work has been done since I was there so maybe it's better. It's just the wrong shape really.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='589085' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:39 PM']Yeh - the acoustics are terrible. They have huge inverted mushrooms suspended from the ceiling which are supposed to help but it's still like an echo chamber. I think quite a lot of work has been done since I was there so maybe it's better. It's just the wrong shape really.[/quote]

well, if it was good enough for Sigue Sigue Sputnik :)

I did NOT know that :)!

I've never been to a bass bash so it always slips my mind to check when they are....I live in North Wales so I thought doing something while i'm way over at London might be a good idea.

AA's route finder says i've got a good 28miles to get to the bass bash from the albert hall's general area.......

i'd really like to go!

Just depends now what details i'm given about the times for soundcheck etc i suppose; i've never been late for a gig in my life so i'd rather not do so for the first time at the Albert Hall!

Although a bass bash would be as good a reason as any i can imagine.

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='589157' date='Sep 3 2009, 09:52 PM']Is the Bass Gallery near t'Albert Hall then?

Any other suggestions of palces i can go to actually see/play some music while i'm there?[/quote]

Sorry Ben, but the Albert Hall is in a bloody awkward place. It's roughly the same distance to each of Knightsbridge, South Kensington, and High Street Kensington tube stations, and it's a solid 15-minute walk to any of them.

Knightsbridge & South Ken are on the Piccadilly Line, so it's easy to get to Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square & Covent Garden.

High St. Ken is on the Central Line and the Circle Line, so it's easy to get to Oxford Street and to Tottenham Court Road.

The Bass Gallery is not in Central London, it's in Camden, on the Northern Line, and it's a fair old walk from [i]that [/i]tube station!

If you're pushed for time, unfamiliar with London, and want to go somewhere bass-related then you may as well go to Denmark Street. Take the Central Line to Tottenham Court Road, start walking south down Charing Cross Road, and it's the first road on your left - less than 100 yards.

The shops are worth wandering around, some of them are pretty decent, don't forget the private dealers in the rooms above the shops. Just remember to LEAVE YOUR WALLET IN YOUR POCKET!

Enjoy.

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='589157' date='Sep 3 2009, 09:52 PM']Is the Bass Gallery near t'Albert Hall then?[/quote]

Compared to North Wales yes .... :)
It's about 10 stops on the tube, Kensington to Camden Town.
I'd go the day after, before heading home.
Allow about an hour to walk/tube/walk and then about a month to try the gear :rolleyes:

The Albert Hall is a great place to play. I play and annual charity gig there (16th November this year) on bass with a small group (piano, drums, guitar and trumpet) and 1000 school children all singing.

On the assumption that you will have the use of the resident PA I suggest that you travel light with a small combo to use as a monitor for you and any other musicians close by. Last year I used a single 12" cab and had to turn down to a low level to allow the sound guy enough space to put me through the mix. He told me that before the installation of the current PA the Hall only used 2 12" subs for normal PA jobs so you don't need a lot of volume.

Enjoy the day and think how many famous people you are sharing the stage with, although on a different night.

N