Why become a member? ×

Orange Amps visit!

Musicman20

Hey

So, being a huge fan of both the bass and guitar amps/cabs Orange manufactures, I have been emailing them pretty much monthly on the news on the Terror Bass and SP cabs.

I think they now realise I am a mentalist, and they are letting me go to their head office in Hertfordshire to test the new bass amps and cabs. I am on holiday in London so its perfect timing.

I am very intrigued by the SP cabs; I saw the 4x10 in Soundslive this weekend and it is tiny!

So, I know I will be getting a Bass Terror anyway, (they informed me I cant test the 1000W version as yet as its not finished, so 500 it is) but im interested to see how these SP Isobaric cabs work out. I am only testing out in their demo room, not buying, as right now i'm saving for other items.

I will give a 'review' when I return after bank holiday.

Quite excited, and its again made me realise how good their customer service is.

Edit....a few photos:

[attachment=32405:All.jpg]

[attachment=32406:2x12.jpg]

Video of Bass Terror + SP212 with some sort of old Hamer bass they had hanging around, (excuse my playing I was just pick thrashing basically and Ido not like being put on the spot!):

[attachment=32596:MOV00447.MPG]

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='579343' date='Aug 24 2009, 06:24 PM']Quite excited, and its again made me realise how good their customer service is.[/quote]

Depends who you talk to, I was emailing "designer" Adrian Emsley about a technical question which at first he ignored, then proceeded to tell me what I can and can't do with MY amp, avoided my question and then gave me the complete wrong answer...

Edit- back on topic, do have fun though :)

Edited by Protium

I've given up on my orange dream. i found them most unhelpful when gathering info, as did my gutarist. He said it was all a bit corporate and not the warm friendly amp loving company he'd always dreamed of. Looks like Hiwatt for us*.

maybe we caught them on a bad day. would still love one.

bring us back a present now masicman.

*can some one please lend us a couple of grand?

Edited by William James Easton

[quote name='alexharvay' post='580110' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:40 PM']Has the bass terror been released yet or is there a release date set?[/quote]

The SP cabs are now out...

The Bass Terror is apparently ready....I am allowed to test one out so it must be done.

The 1000W version is still in the testing stages....but I might not need that much power!

[quote name='alexharvay' post='580219' date='Aug 25 2009, 02:01 PM']I'm more interested in the 500W version and I'm really interested in finding out how the SP cabs do. When are you going?[/quote]

Friday morning.

Neil in Customer Service is, I believe, just for customer service. He's sorted out loads of stuff for me. Think thats why they are much better at helping out.

Yeah, the 500W is probably right for me. Im very interesed in hearing the SP cabs. The 2x12 and 4x10 are REALLY small. Get this, the 4x10 is only 63lbs! Which is pretty good for Orange...they like to make heavy gear!

Oh, and for anyone who is interested, the 8x10 is using NEO SPEAKERS! Im quite shocked!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jGkNm-vZLk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jGkNm-vZLk[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNLFJ-JsZA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNLFJ-JsZA[/url]

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='580513' date='Aug 25 2009, 06:22 PM']Friday morning.

Neil in Customer Service is, I believe, just for customer service. He's sorted out loads of stuff for me. Think thats why they are much better at helping out.

Yeah, the 500W is probably right for me. Im very interesed in hearing the SP cabs. The 2x12 and 4x10 are REALLY small. Get this, the 4x10 is only 63lbs! Which is pretty good for Orange...they like to make heavy gear!

Oh, and for anyone who is interested, the 8x10 is using NEO SPEAKERS! Im quite shocked!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jGkNm-vZLk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jGkNm-vZLk[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNLFJ-JsZA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNLFJ-JsZA[/url][/quote]
sell outs ;p

[quote name='sk8' post='586314' date='Sep 1 2009, 10:31 AM']and the report.............................[/quote]

Hey

Just got back from a whirlwind break down south, and ive been to nearly every bass shop ever.

The Orange gear....Ive got a lot I need to type! Let me just say this though....the 500W Bass Terror is incredible for its size/weight/price. Even though the Shuttlemax has the more tube like sound out of a lot of lightweight heads, this Terror blows it away. For about £470....you are gettiong a killer amp with plenty of ommph, ability to do clean, and ability to be Orangey and dirty. Not quite AD200b territory obviously, but damn good.

The cabs...surprised the hell out of me. I went in thinking it wouldnt be possible to get a loud small cab, (and these ARE the SMALLEST light cabs Ive ever seen, especially the 2x12 which is just so small but loud). but it is. If you like a punchy tone, with the ability to have it in a box thats not actually any bigger than a normal 1x12 box, then this is for you. It does work incredibly well. the 4x10 is tiny...looks like a 2x10 and weighs so little. That was incredibly loud, I had to watch my ears with that one.

I cranked the hell out of the 2x12 and it sounded amazing for its size. A little 'boxy' yes, but still very good at what it did. Lightweight? Extremely.

Just to say, the guys in their workshop, and Neil on Customer Services, were extremely nice guys. They even came in and told me to turn up because they couldnt hear it loud enough upstairs.

The Dual Terror (guitar wise) is absolutely awesome.

[quote name='sk8' post='586574' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:16 PM']sounds good. I may have to purchase a bass terror.

As you've got an AD200 i woul be interested in a tone comparision. I know its not going to be the same but how close is it, if at all.[/quote]

Its a very good small lightweigh head to give you some grunt/tubey overdrive.....it does sound similar to the AD200b, but without the pure tube grunt. Im getting one anyway purely because it works very well. Very light, very small, damn loud. You will like it if you like some gain. It also sounds a lot better than I imagined clean. It doesnt do the full on tube grind like a tube amp would do, but its close enough! :) Fat, and dirty, thats what it sounds like.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='586577' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:19 PM']Its a very good small lightweigh head to give you some grunt/tubey overdrive.....it does sound similar to the AD200b, but without the pure tube grunt. Im getting one anyway purely because it works very well. Very light, very small, damn loud. You will like it if you like some gain. It also sounds a lot better than I imagined clean. It doesnt do the full on tube grind like a tube amp would do, but its close enough! :) Fat, and dirty, thats what it sounds like.[/quote]

Thanks!

Good enough for me. GAS here i come :rolleyes:

PICS!

Also, guitar-wise, I sold my Fender Deville which was too loud for my needs and not really a mad fan of 10s with guitar, so Ive got a Dual Terror and an Orange PPC212 in Limited Edition White on order :) The Dual Terror is amazing for its size and price, and has options of either being on 7, 15 or 30 watts. 30 watts all tube is damn damn loud.

Edited by Musicman20

Sounds like you had a great trip

I am still running a LMB head with my orange cabs and waiting for the day I can trade it in for a tiny terror, I am making massive efforts to keep the MB as new so I can get the best trade in for it

Would you know how the terror compares to the Little mark clean

Also the MB does provide a good punch through the orange, even when not playing to loud, I assume the terror will equal or better this?

[quote name='lojo' post='596316' date='Sep 12 2009, 08:13 AM']Sounds like you had a great trip

I am still running a LMB head with my orange cabs and waiting for the day I can trade it in for a tiny terror, I am making massive efforts to keep the MB as new so I can get the best trade in for it

Would you know how the terror compares to the Little mark clean

Also the MB does provide a good punch through the orange, even when not playing to loud, I assume the terror will equal or better this?[/quote]

I love the MBass clean to be fair...its a perfect amp to have in comparison with my Orange all tube beast. I have the best of both worlds. I think the Terror can definitely achieve good quality high volume clean, but I dont think it will be the same clean as the MBass.

Im just going to get one anyway so I have a choice of 3 amps...but Im going to see how the pros review it. I must admit, I was very impressed, and it weighs barely anything.