Why become a member? ×

Bongo owners...

NancyJohnson

[quote name='Paul_C' post='578561' date='Aug 23 2009, 09:15 PM']a wild guess ..

if you fill the top string nut slot and cut a new one next to it, it usually fixes it (I've done it to both the ones I owned.. )[/quote]

I haven't a clue what you've just posted! I'd like to though...

It's just general stuff about setup etc.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='578582' date='Aug 23 2009, 09:30 PM']I haven't a clue what you've just posted! I'd like to though...

It's just general stuff about setup etc.

P[/quote]

heh, I had a problem with the top string rolling off the edge of the board (probably because I use light strings) on both 5 string Bongos I had, so I moved it inboard slightly by modding the nut.

No such problems with the 4 string versions though.

[quote name='silddx' post='578645' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:54 PM']May I politely ask why you can't post the questions on the forum? Am I missing something?[/quote]

I just wanted a couple of direct answers about set-up and things; I don't want to see pictures of people's Bongos.

For your consideration, after Wayne PM'd me, this is pretty much what I sent him:
[i]
'I did a trade on a Bongo a week or two ago; and am looking for a bit of info about general setup, pickup height and overall output. It's a 5HH.

I rehearsed with it last Thursday, and while for at home use it was fine, in a live context the action was way to low (lots of zizz and little sustain), the output was horribly low and it didn't really have anything like the impact I was looking for (let's face it, most Bongo owners allude the bass is mental and mad as cheese). Also, the B-string was very flappy. I spent an hour setting it up over the weekend and while I'm a little happier, I was also interested in finding out whether it just had a bad day at the office.'[/i]

The bass has had new batteries and strings fitted by me. The bass plays nicely enough now, but in hindsight I've been using passive basses for a while, which have a much hotter output. At the settings I had the amp at last week and with my Lakland going through it, you would have heard me in the next county. The Bongo was so quiet.

That was it.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='578756' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:05 AM']but in hindsight[b] I've been using passive basses for a while, which have a much hotter output[/b]. At the settings I had the amp at last week and with my Lakland going through it, you would have heard me in the next county. The Bongo was so quiet.

That was it.
P[/quote]

Um, They shouldnt do! You might want to see if theres a trim pot to be found anywhere in the control cavity to boost the output a little bit, The owner before you might have lowered it to match his other basses. IIRC the bongos an 18V active pre, should be much hotter than your passive basses!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='578756' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:05 AM']I've been using passive basses for a while, which have a much hotter output[/quote]

That makes no sense.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='578655' date='Aug 23 2009, 11:10 PM']heh, I had a problem with the top string rolling off the edge of the board (probably because I use light strings) on both 5 string Bongos I had, so I moved it inboard slightly by modding the nut.

No such problems with the 4 string versions though.[/quote]

I wondered why my nut was moddified when I got my 5HS, I thought someone had broken it and fixed it lol.

The output should be stupidly high, it was rare I had mine more then half way and I play all my basses up full usually. If you have changed the batteries then I really dont know whats up there.

re the B, the bongo was the best 5er ive ever played in regards to the B, I was using Elixirs though, I have a elixir B string hanging around somewhere if you want to try it out? PM me your address and ill post it out to you.

Jesus, I'm not getting into a fight or anything here, I just wanted advice...this is why I wanted to ask some questions via PM's not litter the thread with crap about whether people like Bongo's or not. I will also say here that compared to the DJ5 and my Geddy Jazz, it's a [i]very [/i]quiet bass.

As my post [to Wayne] says, I have worked on the set-up on the bass over the weekend and I'm rehearsing with it tonight. I was distinctly underwhelmed with it last week; maybe it'll be different this evening. We'll see.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='579010' date='Aug 24 2009, 01:07 PM']Jesus, I'm not getting into a fight or anything here, I just wanted advice...this is why I wanted to ask some questions via PM's not litter the thread with crap about whether people like Bongo's or not. I will also say here that compared to the DJ5 and my Geddy Jazz, it's a [i]very [/i]quiet bass.

As my post [to Wayne] says, I have worked on the set-up on the bass over the weekend and I'm rehearsing with it tonight. I was distinctly underwhelmed with it last week; maybe it'll be different this evening. We'll see.

P[/quote]

That's why I put my own questions like this in either the Bass Guitars sub forum or the Repairs and Technical Issues one.

The way I see it, you may help others in the future with public questions and responses, whereas with your approach, no-one learns anything but you. Not having a go, just my thoughts.

There's nothing to adjust in the body cavity. There's a handful of threads over on the EB forums about low output; largely down to pickup height and also one of two posts concerning output ratings against SD quarter pounders. Like I say, I shall see what happens in the next few hours!
P