Why become a member? ×

Show us your Burmans

pete.young

Kicking this off at the request of the CrazyKiwi.

Top: Burman Pro 4000 bass head. Bottom: Burman Pro 2000 guitar combo.

KT77s in the 4000, showing the Marshall pattern spring retainers fitted by Paul Glazebrook to stop the valves falling out at moments of stress!

Point-to-point wiring in the Pro 4000

Point to point wiring in the Pro 2000

Power valves and Partridge transformers in the Pro 2000

I've gigged the Pro4000 with red transformers in a former motown band I was in. It was great for pub gigs if I used two cabs but did tend to get a bit warm. I haven't gigged the other one because its in mint condition, only 10 hours playing time on it and the original GEC Gold Lion KT77's. :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='584733' date='Aug 29 2009, 08:09 PM']Do you gig these CrazyKiwi?[/quote]
I gig mine occasionally, with an EBS 2x12 just like Kiwi's. It's plenty loud enough for the kind of venues we play, although I'd like to try it with one of Alex's Vintage cabs at some point.

The Pro 2000 guitar combo was gigged last year, and easily matched a Mesa Half Stack, until we had to carry it away! 53 Kg.

Quick pic of my pair:

[attachment=31890:P1000973.JPG]

Top to bottom..

GPA guitar preamp
SL100 100w power amp
MPA PA preamp
SL100 100w power amp

Will get some gut shots soon. The GPA is a bit crackly at the moment but the MPA sounds great for guitar or bass. Gonna get them both serviced and revalved with KT77's when I can afford it.

Big thanks to The Bass Doc for them both, really pleased with them!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='584489' date='Aug 29 2009, 12:56 PM']Here's mine:

Burman Pro501 guitar amp, ex Simon Cowe, Lindisfarne

Older style Burman Pro4000 with script logo and red transformers.

Newer style Burman Pro4000 with sans serif logo and yellow transformers.

[/quote]

WOW!
When I were a lad, workin' int' shop, we used to sell these.
We had the 501 and the 502 - probably my favourite guitar amp :lol:
It is a VERY long time ago, but we put them up against all sorts of stuff
and as far as I can remember, it was very close to a Messa Boogie.
BLOODY loud - not even seen one for years - didn't even know he did
bass amps!! :)
Look at all the workmanship in there - almost a work of art!! :rolleyes:

How much do the 501's go for these days? Santa's coming soon!! :lol:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='655916' date='Nov 16 2009, 01:10 PM']WOW!
When I were a lad, workin' int' shop, we used to sell these.
We had the 501 and the 502 - probably my favourite guitar amp :lol:
It is a VERY long time ago, but we put them up against all sorts of stuff
and as far as I can remember, it was very close to a Messa Boogie.
BLOODY loud - not even seen one for years - didn't even know he did
bass amps!! :)
Look at all the workmanship in there - almost a work of art!! :rolleyes:

How much do the 501's go for these days? Santa's coming soon!! :lol:[/quote]

For a while they were £250 or so, then for a brief period they shot up to £600 and now the price appears to have come down to about £300 again. Hardly saw any on Ebay but quite a few have surfaced in the last 6 months or so. So now is the time to buy if you've wanted one.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='657130' date='Nov 17 2009, 03:55 PM']Was that in the arcade in Newcastle ? Was there a cab built that would'nt fit out through the door,or is that a myth ?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that's true. Greg Burman had a request from local eccentric bass player, the late 'Bumper Brown' to build a 4x18" cabinet. He duly did and found it would not fit through the shop door when finished. I imagine some part of the doorway surround had to be removed.

Fancy standing in front of the cab when 'Bumper' wacked a bottom E! It was the 70s when flared trousers were all the rage so that's when I reckon the expression 'trouser-flapping bass' was coined.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='666366' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:48 PM']Is it true that the beige ones were made for Lindisfarne ?[/quote]

Quite possibly, though I think it became a standard offering later.

BTW we used to call the band Lindisfart ( when not within earshot of Rod Clements).

Edited by The Bass Doc

Oh blimey, I've just soiled myself again...NURSE!!!

Thats the first complete Pro 4000 + matching 4x12 rig I've ever seen apart from the adverts. Do you have two Pro4000's? What are the serials? Does the 4x12 have the original volt speakers or replacements?

Haha glad you approve! Two 4000s I wish! Nah, just the one head. Bought from the Bass Doc or from a mate of a mate of a mate of his! Best thing I've ever bought! The matching 4x12 I've just got off ebay from North East bassist Ian Thompson and it turns out he was sold the cab by the bass doc too with a matching head which has since gone to Wales I believe. The cab is currently unloaded at the moment so not sure what I'll do with it yet.

The second cab I bought from the Bass Doc also as I think he was sick of it taking up all his space! Its a huge heavy beast and I was told a rumour bout it possibly having being a custom build for Sting?!? Who knows! It has the original speakers in but a vinyl refin and rather dodgy kitchen cupboard handles on the sides which I keep meaning to replace! Just abit too big to gig with at the moment! Put it in the car and nowt else fits!!! Maybe take the cones out of this to put into the matching cab?

Pro 4000 serial: E9916

matching 4x12 cab serial: C91005

Custom cab is out past the dark and rain in the garage so can't get the serial right now...not sure that it even has one from memory...?

If anyone wants to see/hear it in action come see wor band The Monologues around NE England! [url="http://www.myspace.com/themonologues"]http://www.myspace.com/themonologues[/url]

Edited by gronkadelic