Why become a member? ×

70's amps

BarnacleBob

Funny how many of the vintage amps that are "wonderful" now weren't at all loved back then!

I don't know anyone who used SW in the 70's, oh, except me! Our manager got a deal with SW for about 6 months. All I can say is that they made a noise! The next manager got a deal with Hiwatt and we were all much happier!

If you want authentic you'll have to get a Simms Watts 4x12 cab, better still get a stack and a roadie! Better still, get something modern!

Ha Ha!
Don't worry, its not for live work or anything (gave that up a long time ago)
I am more of an enthusiast/collector now ( ie more money than talent) and i toy with the idea of getting amps to complement basses of a certain period
I started a thread about this a while ago but it fizzled out :)
So I have a 70s Wal and soon a Shergold, hopefully (i used to have 4 and foolishly sold them) and lookingfor a nice 70's brit amp to go with them.
But obviously you dont think this is the one then?

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='577046' date='Aug 21 2009, 07:45 PM']....So I have a 70s Wal and soon a Shergold, hopefully (i used to have 4 and foolishly sold them) and lookingfor a nice 70's brit amp to go with them.
But obviously you dont think this is the one then?....[/quote]
If you're collecting then carry on squire.

We never saw many WEM, Vox, Selmer or Sound City amps around. The most popular ones were Marshall, Hiwatt, Orange, and if you're rich uncle just died, Ampeg, Acoustic, Sunn and Fender. The British amps usually came with 4x12 cabs but the US cabs mostly used 15's and 10's.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='577139' date='Aug 21 2009, 09:40 PM']I was surprised when i found out the 'proper matching' cab for the Fender 135 bassman top was hopeless and I have seen nice set-ups with a custom built cab with proper cloth/grill and logo added.[/quote]

Old speakers were just so short of excursion - that's why hi-fi speakers had to be huge* if you wanted decent bass - and also why the SVT rig was designed to run TWO 8x10"s!

* My grandfather has a pair of Goodmans 'acoustic resistor' coax 12" hi-fi cabs in his lounge - they're basically like pieces of furniture the size of high-backed armchairs. Now I think about it the 12" is no more than half the width of the baffle and they must be getting for four feet high, so basically like having two 4x12" bass cabs in your room (Mr Foxen and Joe Garcia can relate to this). And it's not a big room by any means. Not quite sure how he sneaked them in but they've been there since the '60s so I can't imagine the place without them and they sound incredible - flawed but ALIVE! They're 16 ohm cabs therefore his old amp could only deliver about 15W into them, which was ear-bleedingly loud. The acoustic resistor is actually an aperiodic port, designed to emulate the response of a sealed cab twice the size (the sealed cab version was the full nine cubic feet).

Alex

I have heard of people using the Simms Watts all-valve guitar and PA heads for bass, but I've not come across this model before. It all seems to be intact but i'd be put off by the solid state pre / valve power. A s hop down this way had a guitar head and matching 4x12 but I think it's moved on long ago.