Why become a member? ×

Can I have a consensus, please?

Stacker

Something's come up on the market that I might go for. Unfortunately, I may have to sell one guitar to cover this purchase. Question I'd like to ask what would you let go/keep out of these three:-

Rickenbacker 4001CS (lower number, non fat-neck)
Ricken backer 660DCM 75th Anniversary
Rickenbacker 4001 1973, chq binding, toaster and hi-gain with philips-head pole pieces

The firsrt is VGC, the sceond immaculate as new, the third has some buckle rash on the rear. No modds on any.

Just sussing the forumites before I punt one.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='571569' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:23 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150352452939"]any help?[/url][/quote]

Thanks for that.

I hate this: I spent over a year hunting for a 660DCM and then found one sitting unsold in a shop up here and now it may have to fo. :)

[quote name='Stacker' post='571353' date='Aug 17 2009, 09:13 AM']Something's come up on the market that I might go for. Unfortunately, I [b]may[/b] have to sell one guitar to cover this purchase. Question I'd like to ask what would you let go/keep out of these three:-

Rickenbacker 4001 1973, chq binding, toaster and hi-gain with philips-head pole pieces

The firsrt is VGC, the sceond immaculate as new, the third has some buckle rash on the rear. No modds on any.

Just sussing the forumites before I punt one.[/quote]

save up then. or sell something else that isnt a bass or a guitar.

I guess it depends on how much you want the thing that you might go for.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='571768' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:43 PM']save up then. or sell something else that isnt a bass or a guitar.

I guess it depends on how much you want the thing that you might go for.[/quote]

I want it very much - it's a tad rare but non-vintage - but I can't bear to shift anything. It's end ing soon on evilbay and I may jsut let it pass, for now.

Thnx to all.

[quote name='Stacker' post='571788' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:04 PM']I want it very much - it's a tad rare but non-vintage - but I can't bear to shift anything. It's end ing soon on evilbay and I may jsut let it pass, for now.

Thnx to all.[/quote]

Did it pass? I'd keep the CS for definite. Is that your XL-2 pictured? I've got one! And a CS!

[quote name='Stacker' post='571353' date='Aug 17 2009, 09:13 AM']Something's come up on the market that I might go for. Unfortunately, I may have to sell one guitar to cover this purchase. Question I'd like to ask what would you let go/keep out of these three:-

Just sussing the forumites before I punt one.[/quote]

Sell the '73. To me. :rolleyes: (I've actually got one incoming so unfortunately couldn't afford it at the mo. Be interested to see it though!). Seriously, depending on condition of all 3 I'd sell the DCM, and not just because it's a guitar. Edit; just read the rest of the thread. Doh!!!!!

We still want pictures though!!!!! :)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Stacker' post='571788' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:04 PM']I want it very much - it's a tad rare but non-vintage - but I can't bear to shift anything. It's end ing soon on evilbay and I may jsut let it pass, for now.

Thnx to all.[/quote]

I think it's the silver XL2..........

BB

[quote name='4000' post='572600' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:27 AM']Sell the '73. To me. :rolleyes: (I've actually got one incoming so unfortunately couldn't afford it at the mo. Be interested to see it though!). Seriously, depending on condition of all 3 I'd sell the DCM, and not just because it's a guitar. Edit; just read the rest of the thread. Doh!!!!!

We still want pictures though!!!!! :)[/quote]

What of? The two Rick basses?

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='572612' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:52 AM']I think it's the silver XL2..........

BB[/quote]

No, but I've just had a look at that! never ever heard of a silver one before. I have an XL2A, though.

The bass I was after was a 20th Anniv Stingray fretless. I sat there and watched it tick down to zero without bidding. Later on in the evening I decided that I would rob the savings after all so I emailed the guy asking if was going to relist and I haven't heard anything back.

Moral: He who hesitates is bassless!

[quote name='Stacker' post='572967' date='Aug 18 2009, 02:56 PM']No, but I've just had a look at that! never ever heard of a silver one before. I have an XL2A, though.

The bass I was after was a 20th Anniv Stingray fretless. I sat there and watched it tick down to zero without bidding. Later on in the evening I decided that I would rob the savings after all so I emailed the guy asking if was going to relist and I haven't heard anything back.

Moral: He who hesitates is bassless![/quote]

Bummer, mate! Hope he gets back to you! Mebbe he is waiting for an offer to save on relisting fees?
I've been looking for a nice complete (original) XL2A for ages and this pops up! No likey the silver at all!

BB

Ok, here's the three Rick basses I have left (660DCM left out for obv reason).

The one in the middle is another '73 that came to me as a botch refin. I sanded it back, sealed it and kept it nice and natural. Put a 4003 7-screw bridge and a horsey on it.[attachment=31082:CIMG1421.JPG]

Thinks it's just the angle I took the pic at, although the CS has a longer, skinnier upper horn (starts [i]on[/i] the 20th fret, not in between like the others) and a good bit of wood taken out fusther down the curve. The neck is slightly longer, too, but then the bridge assembly is slightly further forward than on the '73s.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='573060' date='Aug 18 2009, 03:40 PM']Is the Chris Squire model actually smaller or is it an illusion cos it has no binding?
BB[/quote]
If it was modelled on Squires bass as accurately as it was meant to have been it will indeed be smaller.
Chris has mentioned several times in interviews how he went through a period of having his Rickenbacker regularly refinished in different things (Foil, floral wallpaper etc. - this WAS the 60's!) so it was stripped and sanded quite a few times before he finally settled on the cream colour it's been for ages.

He attributes the instruments unique toppy sound to the smaller mass of the body, and having owned several Ricks & not even gotten close to that sound I'd tend to agree with him.

If I had one of those Chris Squire Ricks I'd definately hang on to it - they'll only appreciate in value. They already change hands for silly money.
Wish I had one......

Edited by RhysP