Why become a member? ×

It may seem like a minor thing to some...

Cat Burrito

but having played bass guitar for 20yrs I recently took the plunge and bought my first double bass. This was 2 months ago. I've been rehearsing along with band demos played through an Istation at home.

Tonight I took it to the local hall with the band (first time with live musicians!) and played for 2hrs straight. At the end our mandolin player took me aside and said he was "seriously impressed". I had knowing looks from the guitarist and the singer. I felt I did good. Just wanted to share. A long way to go but I feel I'm off the starting blocks now :)

Great stuff BB. So you've put your toe in the water. Two hours first off is quite impressive. Your fingers are probably a bit sore but that situation will improve the more you play. The biggest hurdle to get over when starting out is the physical one so you seem well on to sorting that. Keep going and enjoy your double bass. It's a great instrument.

[quote name='bassace' post='568639' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:49 AM']Your fingers are probably a bit sore but that situation will improve the more you play. The biggest hurdle to get over when starting out is the physical one so you seem well on to sorting that. Keep going and enjoy your double bass. It's a great instrument.[/quote]

Just to clarify here folks, I typed this thread with my elbows! :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='568641' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:51 AM']2 months on a DB are you're doing gigs ?

wow...good going ![/quote]
I'd second that ... I've had an EUB and a DB in the house for close on 2 years ... so far only the EUB has been out in public and the most I've done at a gig (as opposed to a jam) is two numbers ...

Andy

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='569244' date='Aug 14 2009, 05:07 PM']....I play Americana stuff - a little bit country, a little bit folky, a bit bluesy - I was originally a punk!....[/quote]
That's 2 in the bar? Only 25% of the notes that a punk band would have played!