Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200 with 4 x 10 cabs & 2 x 12 cab

Monz

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='581189' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:48 AM']You should be able to run a 16 ohm cab off that 8 ohm output - similarly you should be able to run 3 off the 4 ohm output.[/quote]

The norm with valve amps is to use a higher tap, not lower, so a 16 ohm cab would need a 16+ ohm tap. Kind of the opposite of solidstate (non-transformer coupled) amps.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='581201' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:56 AM']The norm with valve amps is to use a higher tap, not lower, so a 16 ohm cab would need a 16+ ohm tap. Kind of the opposite of solidstate (non-transformer coupled) amps.
Alex[/quote]

Alex, you've answered a query I had about amp + cab ohm ratings matching.
Thank you, todays piece of knowledge learnt!

Cheers,
Jon.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='581201' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:56 AM']The norm with valve amps is to use a higher tap, not lower, so a 16 ohm cab would need a 16+ ohm tap. Kind of the opposite of solidstate (non-transformer coupled) amps.

Alex[/quote]

Fair enough - plug them into the 4 ohm tap and make those valves work harder.

...but any valve amp should cope with an impedence mismatch up to 2x.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='jmesa' post='583484' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:52 PM']That amp is lush!!!!111!1!1!!!!!

How much are they?[/quote]

I think the list is £1299 but you can talk to this guy and he lives in the real world

PS just noticed you are using a 400+ ( the matamp runs clean to 200W+ and well into the mid 300s with the dials on 11)

Edited by Monz

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='583458' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:36 PM']You told me you helped on that 2x12, you did bugger all.

Can you post as an individual picture the last one with the head sat on it, :)[/quote]

Sure thing here is one of the head on it's own

[attachment=31840:25082009310.jpg]

And here is one sat on the 2x12

[attachment=31841:25082009313.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

Tried all this last night, was absolutely marvelous.

The 4x10's are much much lighter than mine and kick out some serious bass, they have a beautiful even response no matter what I played, for the weight and cost these are some serious contenders they are just stunning and will look even better with the metal grills instead of the fabric ones.

2x12 well I was amazed, Monz had been saying how hifi it sounded and this is true but you can dial that out and get it thump as anything, it really did range from sounding like a 2x15 to a hifi studio monitor and this is without a tweeter, simple stunning I'll be ordering one as soon as my Buster sells.

GT200, a great head, I knew this already I've played through them lots but they never cease to amaze, plenty of clout and more power than most people would ever need, the drive on it is still the best distortion I've ever heard be it pedal, rack or amp, I still can't afford one though but one day. Great amp and for the price it sits nicely in other high class amps and because it's so good thats why you never see them come up for sale second hand :)

Also it was quite funny being in a room with 5 tube amps and 22 10 inch speakers and then 18 12 inch speakers including what my guitarists had lying around, it was a shame my 400+ is in for a service as I could have powered all the bass cabs from that and my Strategy and really heard what it had :rolleyes:

Congrats Glyn you've got a stellar amp, I hope your gig with the 2x12 sucks and you have to give me a call :lol:

[quote name='Toasted' post='595570' date='Sep 11 2009, 12:16 PM']+1 ![/quote]

We will have to time it so we are both together at Steve's place so you can have a play... I know it's not as loud as the mesa rig but you will still be able to hear afterwards lol

• 2 weeks later...