Why become a member? ×

Cardiff / M4 / S Wales Bass Bash venues? Any ideas?

OldGit

Myself and Drewie are looking to put a South Wales bass bash together in the autumn.
We were talking to a very nice and well postioned venue for this but they have a daytime noise limit just imposed so it's a no go.

Can any one suggest an alternative in the Cardiff / M4 area?

Thanks

OG

im in !

Venues hmm , allways a tough one and all depends on numbers re revenue + fear of 50 Hz rumble in adjacent function suites

ILl chat to a few conference and hospitality buds and see if i can offer up a solution

Bout time something cropped up round these here parts

Sadly my house too small but i know some very good pubs !

Be glad to offer assistance also

Gary
v8

[quote name='v8bass' post='567505' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:06 AM']im in !

Venues hmm , allways a tough one and all depends on numbers re revenue + fear of 50 Hz rumble in adjacent function suites

ILl chat to a few conference and hospitality buds and see if i can offer up a solution

Bout time something cropped up round these here parts

Sadly my house too small but i know some very good pubs !

Be glad to offer assistance also

Gary
v8[/quote]

Cheers Gary.. Need all the help we can get :~)
Don't sign up quite yet chaps :)

Once we have a date and venue sorted we'll do a proper post ..

I love chapter (it helps my gf works there also)... I can find out but my only concern for the place is that a.) its being refurbished with an opening at some point this autumn. b.) its an old school so its a bit echoe-y what with the big rooms and lots of shiny surfaces!

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='567611' date='Aug 13 2009, 08:33 AM']I love chapter (it helps my gf works there also)... I can find out but my only concern for the place is that a.) its being refurbished with an opening at some point this autumn. b.) its an old school so its a bit echoe-y what with the big rooms and lots of shiny surfaces![/quote]

Yeah that's my concern plus the parking problem as the car park is currently closed.
Compared to an Hotel function suite it's way cooler and stuff but there's no easy "park and roll in" as you can get with Hotels....
I'll tallk to them and see where they will be by the Autumn.

Again they may not be happy about lots of bass during the day on a Sunday....

the chapter carpark reopened about 3 weeks ago- I think you are probably right about noise also- they are trying to extend licensing as well so probably would prefer to not P*ss off the neighbourhood- still, you can only ask I guess (1 bonus is they do have the best selection of german beers ever !)

another option maybe is the musicbox rehearsal studios off penarth road??? that would I guess cost though and you might get a bit of cabin fever inside!
nice place and they have a selection of orange amps- mmm

[url="http://www.musicboxstudios.co.uk/"]http://www.musicboxstudios.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='567821' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:51 AM']the chapter carpark reopened about 3 weeks ago- I think you are probably right about noise also- they are trying to extend licensing as well so probably would prefer to not P*ss off the neighbourhood- still, you can only ask I guess (1 bonus is they do have the best selection of german beers ever !)

another option maybe is the musicbox rehearsal studios off penarth road??? that would I guess cost though and you might get a bit of cabin fever inside!
nice place and they have a selection of orange amps- mmm

[url="http://www.musicboxstudios.co.uk/"]http://www.musicboxstudios.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

OK I've asked Chapter..
I assumd a rehearsal place will be fully booked on a Sunday. Worth a go though.

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='568081' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:37 PM']Sounds good. I'm with the rest of the Bristolians! Anyone got a spare shipping container for transporting the House of Bass' stuff?[/quote]

Cant we just borrow the croft for a day? Nuff room there.

Rob.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='568522' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:20 PM']Cant we just borrow the croft for a day? Nuff room there.

Rob.[/quote]

Most of it doesn't live in the House of Bass, so Croft isn't as convenient as it would appear, still close enough a short van trip will score some nice goodies. Fairly sure even with all the cabs in attendance, Joe will still plug into all of them at once and still turn up loud enough to explode something.

Who was it that knew somewhere in Crosskeys - old rehearsal venue - was that you Jase ?

Failing that I know that the Crosskeys Hotel could be a goer - the Islwyn Acoustic guitar club have regular gigs there - could have a word with Rob who organizes the gigs there. The do cater for bassists - I've seen Nick Beggs and Steve Lawson there.....

Old G - do you want me to get in touch ?

[quote name='dmz' post='573640' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:11 PM']Who was it that knew somewhere in Crosskeys - old rehearsal venue - was that you Jase ?

Failing that I know that the Crosskeys Hotel could be a goer - the Islwyn Acoustic guitar club have regular gigs there - could have a word with Rob who organizes the gigs there. The do cater for bassists - I've seen Nick Beggs and Steve Lawson there.....

Old G - do you want me to get in touch ?[/quote]

Are you talking about Gregs place, just down the road from the college?

Crosskeys Hotel could be an option but the room is really small so depends on how many/how much gear. On a bigger scale there's the downstairs bar in Blackwood Miners' Institute which is only about 20 mins off the M4? Rob from the Islwyn club has used that for gigs too ( including Seth Horan). I played in a function room in the Wig & Pen, Newport a few weeks ago which was OK, had a decent car park and was pretty central for car or train goers?

Cheers
Alun