Why become a member? ×

Peavey basses

Blast

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='566080' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:58 PM']I've got one a millenium bxp 5 string and it is indeed pretty good. It plays well, sounds good with the active pickups and it's proven to be reliable. The string spacing is a bit narrow but for £200 really it's not a big problem at all.[/quote]
If thats what you're playing in your avatar Edward, I have one exactly the same down to the colour. Excellent value for £200. I used to have an irrational dislike of Peaveys, but this one won me over when toured all the Music shops in central London one Saturday & played every 5 string bass under £600 originally intending to buy a G&L tribute.

Peavey do have a reputation for building stuff with 'bombproof' constuction. Which probably explains why you always see loads of peavey gear out & about. It simply won't die.

I've got 2 peavey basses, both bought 2nd hand, and both are solid. The only issue I've ever had was when one of the bridges ( a Wilkinson bridge, on my Axcelerator 5) seized up. I replaced it with a gotoh number and that was the end of that problem.

Secondhand prices on peavey stuff can be seriously cheap. My Axcelerator cost me about £170 inc shipping & hardcase off ebay.
It was a little battle scarred, but I was after a workhorse 5 string for pub gigs, and this was ideal:
[list]
[*]lightweight poplar body
[*]made in USA
[*]comfortable neck dimensions & string spacing
[*]35" scale
[*]18v active electronics
[*]pseudo-fender styling, which was appreciated in my band of a couple of years ago
[/list]

I've also had a bit of peavey amplification (very old TNT combo, Mark 6 head; 2x10, 1x15 & 8x10 cabs) and have never had any problems with any of it.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='566121' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:55 PM']If thats what you're playing in your avatar Edward, I have one exactly the same down to the colour. Excellent value for £200. I used to have an irrational dislike of Peaveys, but this one won me over when toured all the Music shops in central London one Saturday & played every 5 string bass under £600 originally intending to buy a G&L tribute.[/quote]

nice one. I've been thinking of getting a new 5 string but really now i've sorted out the action and that, i just don't really see the need. Another thing i would add is the active pickups and electronics are very versatile, you can get anything from something resembeling the hollow p bass sort of sound to a really modern active powerful clicky sort of sound. It's really good i think. One tiny issue though is that i don't think having screw on knobs on split shaft pots was the best of ideas, some of mine have fallen off. Might get some new ones but really it's just a case of making sure they're screwed on tight!

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='567092' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:26 PM']Peavey do have a reputation for building stuff with 'bombproof' constuction. Which probably explains why you always see loads of peavey gear out & about. It simply won't die.[/quote]
After WW3, all that will be left on the scorched earth is grass, cockroaches, and Peavey bass gear :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='567217' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:47 PM']One tiny issue though is that i don't think having screw on knobs on split shaft pots was the best of ideas, some of mine have fallen off. Might get some new ones but really it's just a case of making sure they're screwed on tight![/quote]
No you're right, not a good idea at all. Splined pot shafts really need push-on knobs. If you have to have screw ones, try to make sure the screw lines up with the split in the shaft. That way, the shaft won't bend when you tighten it up.

[quote name='Rich' post='567581' date='Aug 13 2009, 07:41 AM']After WW3, all that will be left on the scorched earth is grass, cockroaches, and Peavey bass gear :rolleyes:

No you're right, not a good idea at all. Splined pot shafts really need push-on knobs. If you have to have screw ones, try to make sure the screw lines up with the split in the shaft. That way, the shaft won't bend when you tighten it up.[/quote]
I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that's stupid. My Conklin has the same problem. :)