Why become a member? ×

a new band in the cards for me?

nobodysprefect

After a long-ish hiatus from playing in a band as opposed to being a freelancer (five years now, is it?) there's a local band that's looking for a bass player and I really dig their songs and the female vocalist's timbre and delivery.

Sent them a file as a sample of my work, haven't heard back from them yet, and it's been 12 hours! Are my nagging doubts an indication that I'd really like a shot at audition or is it just the hollow feeling of knowing my chops have atrophied tremendously?

I'm older than they are by a few years, but it COULD be a problem as they are only 22-ish at the moment. Also, perhaps informing them of having already made plans on their proposed audition day was a fatal mistake? Who knows!

Anyways, am listening to 2 of their songs on myspace daily now and trying to figure out what kind of bassline I should prepare in addition to grokking the one played on the tracks by the guitarist. Probably an 80's German slap solo blitzkrieg on the 6-string Smith is called for!

Here's the band's MySpace page btw [url="http://www.myspace.com/mboostband"]MBoost[/url] the name, I think, is cute. Too bad the vocalist isn't featured more prominently on the page. I'll try to rectify the situation once I'm in and too well lodged to loose. (Now THERE's a strategy for all bassists! '(P)Lay low 'til you're too well lodged to loose')

Edited by nobody's prefect

Well, at least the guitarist replied 'can't get my work comp to open musepacks, will listen to it at home.'

I'd sent the file in .mp3 format! Oh well. =) Anyways, I hope Linus27's comment doesn't speak more about girls in the UK as I've never found local girls particularly yummy, I've seen all kinds... But I guess they do put out for native English speakers quite readily.

Mölkky is invented in Tampere. Nuff said.

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='565762' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:14 AM']Well, at least the guitarist replied 'can't get my work comp to open musepacks, will listen to it at home.'

I'd sent the file in .mp3 format! Oh well. =) Anyways, I hope Linus27's comment doesn't speak more about girls in the UK as I've never found local girls particularly yummy, I've seen all kinds... But I guess they do put out for native English speakers quite readily.

Mölkky is invented in Tampere. Nuff said.[/quote]

We, I was actually going to say Scandinavian girls are yummy, especially Swedish girls but I know what you Fins and Swedes are like. Didn't want to start a war about Sweden and Finland :):)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='565799' date='Aug 11 2009, 01:55 PM']They're really good... I'd like to hear some more. I actually quite like the bass playing on the recordings, it fits very well IMHO.[/quote]

I like Petja's bass playing, too.

I'm kinda anxious about not measuring up: my time has suffered because I've not focused on playing for the longest time and I've lost my confidence about building nice lines. Oh well, will have to see how it goes.

[quote name='Linus27' post='565808' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:03 PM']We, I was actually going to say Scandinavian girls are yummy, especially Swedish girls but I know what you Fins and Swedes are like. Didn't want to start a war about Sweden and Finland :):)[/quote]

Ah yes. Would've been a little like saying 'English girls are yummy, like the lead vocalist of Corrs' or summat.

Swedish girls are great if you're into blondes. I usually salivate uncontrollably when I'm over in Stockholm!

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='565835' date='Aug 11 2009, 12:32 PM']Ah yes. Would've been a little like saying 'English girls are yummy, like the lead vocalist of Corrs' or summat.

Swedish girls are great if you're into blondes. I usually salivate uncontrollably when I'm over in Stockholm![/quote]

I so need to go to Stockholm :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='565854' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:54 PM']I so need to go to Stockholm :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh, if you're anything like the typical brit there's one word of warning I'll need to give you: the Swedes are absolutely hysteric about consumption of alcohol in public places. They charge you about 5 quid for 4/5ths of a pint of 3,7% abv piss lager, to boot! Oh and you can't get buy any alcohol before 11 am, either from a bar or a store.

So you'd better bring your own... The Swedish lager couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. The locals will expect you to like it, though, and comment on how 'one can really taste the drink and not just the alcohol when it's not so strong!' I tell you, if it weren't for the blondes, I'd not have made it out alive the last time. FFS, making a man last until practically noon without a drop of drink!

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='565877' date='Aug 11 2009, 01:34 PM']Oh, if you're anything like the typical brit there's one word of warning I'll need to give you: the Swedes are absolutely hysteric about consumption of alcohol in public places. They charge you about 5 quid for 4/5ths of a pint of 3,7% abv piss lager, to boot! Oh and you can't get buy any alcohol before 11 am, either from a bar or a store.

So you'd better bring your own... The Swedish lager couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. The locals will expect you to like it, though, and comment on how 'one can really taste the drink and not just the alcohol when it's not so strong!' I tell you, if it weren't for the blondes, I'd not have made it out alive the last time. FFS, making a man last until practically noon without a drop of drink![/quote]

HAHAHA no not typically like a Brit that can't cope for 5 mins without going into a pub for a beer like some kind of proving my manhood ritual :rolleyes: I actually drink Guinness so hopefully they can't tamper with that. Strangely enough, when I was in Finland, I was expecting the beer to be expensive but it was actually the same price as the UK.

By the way, Mölkky rocks. Loved playing that. Great fun although my wife beat all the Fins every time. I think it was all the years she played netball that perfected her throwing technique :):)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today was audition day. I prepared by listening to the songs on the mp3 player and playing along, writing chord sheets but chose to not pick up the lines note by note. They picked me up which was super nice! Was fun chatting with the bunch on the way there, were quite friendly.

I wouldn't say I nailed the songs, but they seemed happy enough with my playing we ended up playing through 'respect' and 'we are family' also, chatted some more, and it turned out the lady vocalist will soon be a licensed psychologist (I suspect they now know me for the pervert I am so it went to sh*te probably) and they admitted to being curious about my motives. Was as frank as is socially acceptable and we went back and played some more. The guitarist and the drummer had a monster groove going on, was really easy to play with them and the drummer had a very solid feel.

There is one other guy they are going to audition and then they'll let me know. Frankly, I'd be thrilled to play with them, as they are really creative, we seem to gel relatively well both musically and hanging out, and I really like the music they write.

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='565762' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:14 AM']I've never found local girls particularly yummy, I've seen all kinds... But I guess they do put out for native English speakers quite readily.[/quote]

That's the kind of vital information they never put in the Tourist Guides.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='580474' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:44 PM']That's the kind of vital information they never put in the Tourist Guides.[/quote]

Yeah, isn't it the strangest thing! Lonely Planet Japan was also suspiciously taciturn about the fact that japanese girls are [i]easy[/i]if you're from Europe. But since the guys there are usually somewhat fit be sure to do her without alerting him, since the humidity makes it a chore to run away. Yeah, many of the younger women there will think nothing of cuckolding their boyfriend to get some whiter meat on the side. Anders from Stockholm got burned really bad. He'd been in the game for a week and got to Kumiko's apartment when she told him they had to hurry before the boyfriend got back from work.

Oh, about the band? I suspect I'm in, as I schlepped my rig there and it's not moved since and they keep informing me about the rehearsals. The writing's consistently good. It has much more variety than the two myspace clips even hint at, which is nice, but it does keep me on my tippytoes, as the grooves can go from bossa nova to picking straight eights at the drop of a hat. Perhaps too ambitious to sell, this material is? But it's a ton of fun so far!

I was kidding up in that paragraph, they phoned me and let me know they'd want me in - they are great at communication so far. The guitarist and the vocalist are a cohabiting couple and also write most of the material. Let's hope no breakup drama ensues.

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='586323' date='Sep 1 2009, 10:41 AM']Yeah, isn't it the strangest thing! Lonely Planet Japan was also suspiciously taciturn about the fact that japanese girls are [i]easy[/i]if you're from Europe. But since the guys there are usually somewhat fit be sure to do her without alerting him, since the humidity makes it a chore to run away. Yeah, many of the younger women there will think nothing of cuckolding their boyfriend to get some whiter meat on the side. Anders from Stockholm got burned really bad. He'd been in the game for a week and got to Kumiko's apartment when she told him they had to hurry before the boyfriend got back from work.

Oh, about the band? I suspect I'm in, as I schlepped my rig there and it's not moved since and they keep informing me about the rehearsals. The writing's consistently good. It has much more variety than the two myspace clips even hint at, which is nice, but it does keep me on my tippytoes, as the grooves can go from bossa nova to picking straight eights at the drop of a hat. Perhaps too ambitious to sell, this material is? But it's a ton of fun so far!

I was kidding up in that paragraph, they phoned me and let me know they'd want me in - they are great at communication so far. The guitarist and the vocalist are a cohabiting couple and also write most of the material. Let's hope no breakup drama ensues.[/quote]

Great stuff, keep us posted on how it goes and good luck.