Why become a member? ×

I think my Hartke LH1000 has died already!

chris_pokkuri

I took my LH1000 and Barefaced Big One to a gig the other day and was sharing it with the other bassists to save set-up time.
First 2 bands went on - no problems, sounded really nice actually. They didn't change the settings or anything just turned it up slightly. They were only playing 25 min sets too so it wasn't like it was on for ages! Then I go on to set up and it doesnt't work properly anymore!

Its really weird it still made a sound but it was really quiet and only a really horrible high mid-trebly sort twangy noise - no lows whatsover!

Anyone know what the problem might be and what would cause this?

Or could it be a problem with the cab, Alex would be able to answer this - If the driver on the 15" broke for some reason and only the mid driver was working, because of the awesome crossover no lows would come through?

I haven't had a chance to test it again yet but will be tonight. I'm gonna try a number of different set ups to try and determine where the fault lies: LH1000 - Big One, LH1000 - warwick 4x10, warwick head - Big One.

:)

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='564700' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:29 AM']Or could it be a problem with the cab, Alex would be able to answer this - If the driver on the 15" broke for some reason and only the mid driver was working, because of the awesome crossover no lows would come through?[/quote]

Check how it sounds with your other cab - if that's fine then I bet something has come loose on the woofer side of the crossover. I had a similar problem with another cab from that batch which was simply because I hadn't screwed the terminals down hard enough on the woofer lead - solution: bigger screwdriver! I now give every lead going into a screw terminal a hefty pull to make sure its firmly seated. Let me know and I'll talk you through how to get the grill off, woofer out and check the crossover if need be.

Alex

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='564741' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:24 AM']Ha ha! I can't imagine it would have blown, I haven't used it with the LH1000 louder than 5/6 so it shouldn't have been put to its limits![/quote]

Even if 5/6 on the volume is full power on the peaks (unlikely though) you'd have to be pushing right into heavy clipping/limiting to get the average value high enough to cause thermal problems, by which point you'd be hearing a load of distortion, whilst mechanical (excursion) damage is practically impossible with that woofer and bass guitar. I'll apologise in advance for the likely loose screw culprit.

Alex

[quote name='hatori' post='564868' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:29 PM']Silly I know but have you checked your leads and Battery (if active).[/quote]

Yeah at the gig I checked all leads direct into the head and I also tried the previous bands bass again incase it was my battery.
Luckily there was a sh*tty little cab there so I used a small pa mixer into that instead so I still got to play. Wasn't quite in the best mood for it anymore tho.

Its a good job i haven't sold my warwick rig yet!

When I used the Compact test cab for the first time with an Ampeg SVT Pro 3 (not my amp by the way) we had a fair bit of volume. Then it dropped whilst we were tweaking the EQ....it dropped by about 75%...not sure if it was a connection on the amp or cab. I turned it all off, changed power supplies, no luck. Took the cables in and out....no luck. Took the cables in and and out again, it was fine. I think it was an amp problem...not sure.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='565493' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:36 PM']When I used the Compact test cab for the first time with an Ampeg SVT Pro 3 (not my amp by the way) we had a fair bit of volume. Then it dropped whilst we were tweaking the EQ....it dropped by about 75%...not sure if it was a connection on the amp or cab. I turned it all off, changed power supplies, no luck. Took the cables in and out....no luck. Took the cables in and and out again, it was fine. I think it was an amp problem...not sure.[/quote]

That doesn't sound like a cab problem. Plus there's not exactly much to go wrong in the Compact - Speakon connector, one lead, speaker, that's it!

Chris has established that it's what I thought so I've sent him instructions on how to fix it. If he has any problems I'll get it back and sort it out but it should be pretty straightforward.

Alex

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='565542' date='Aug 10 2009, 11:20 PM']Hi - what are the connectors like? Screws seem like a bad idea? Can't the leads be soldered to prevent further mishaps?[/quote]

They're pretty chunky screw terminals so with enough wire in there and done up tight I can't see them ever working loose. The woofer itself has screw terminals too, though they're ones you do up by hand, so I think it's fairly normal practice for high power gear. Definitely user error (with me being the user!)

Alex