Why become a member? ×

AshBacker!

Musky

That's great! Check this out too:

[url="http://www.largesound.com/ashboryarticle/concept/ukulele/"]Bass Ukulele using Ashbory strings[/url]

Someone even makes them for sale, although I don't they've got any finished right now:

[url="http://www.bassuke.com"]www.bassuke.com[/url]

[quote name='Musky' post='560074' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:06 PM']Just browsing around and came across this picture. I think they look fine as they stand, but I'd be a bit worried that it'd look like you're playing one of those toy guitars once you've got it strapped on. :)

[/quote]

Love it!!!!

I had an Ashbory and loved its tone, but in the end I had to sell it because I couldnt get used to the extremely short scale. Just a few inches more would have been perfect because intonation is a big concern when playing the tiny bass. Are those wood models commercial? Would be nice to order a custom "XL scale" in case those arent already, cos I see those string knots dont have much string left, at least the Rickenfaker.

[quote name='redstriper' post='560331' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:22 PM']Here's another home made baby based on the Ashbory -

[attachment=30253:rubber_b..._for_web.jpg][/quote]

That's got to be a 'hobbit' bass - I'll look out for it in the next peter Jackson rip of..er..epic!

[quote name='Fraktal' post='561275' date='Aug 5 2009, 04:48 PM']I had an Ashbory and loved its tone, but in the end I had to sell it because I couldnt get used to the extremely short scale. Just a few inches more would have been perfect because intonation is a big concern when playing the tiny bass. Are those wood models commercial? Would be nice to order a custom "XL scale" in case those arent already, cos I see those string knots dont have much string left, at least the Rickenfaker.[/quote]

It is hard to intonate accurately on the fretless Ashbory and it really makes you appreciate the effort it must take to play violin.
Worth it if you can be bothered to stick with it though, the tone is huge - very deep and smooth despite the size and light weight.

Here's another home made longer scale Ashbory, the second clip is with new strings which don't need talc and come in different lengths and gauges, they are the same strings as on the U-Bass in my previous youtube link which is a 21 inch scale available with or without frets.

The two Ash's in the original pic were made by Mike Taverner in York and I'm not sure if he makes them to order or not.
You can contact him via the Ashbory forum [url="http://www.largesound.net/"]here[/url].

I played an Ashbory exclusively last year at lots of gigs and festivals, but it was hard work especially on a dark stage and I never got over needing to look at the fretboard almost constantly.
It was good for me though and I look forward to trying a fretted U-Bass when they arrive in the UK.

All the tracks currently on my band's [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"]myspace[/url] were recorded with the Ashbory.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='561275' date='Aug 5 2009, 04:48 PM']I had an Ashbory and loved its tone, but in the end I had to sell it because I couldnt get used to the extremely short scale. Just a few inches more would have been perfect because intonation is a big concern when playing the tiny bass. Are those wood models commercial? Would be nice to order a custom "XL scale" in case those arent already, cos I see those string knots dont have much string left, at least the Rickenfaker.[/quote]

I don't know whether they're available commercially, but I found that picture via a google image search which led to [url="http://www.largesound.net/bass/index.php?PHPSESSID=525fe36df7945779807b74a3ec266032&topic=299.15"]this thread[/url] on largesound. The guy who made them was the same Mike Tavener redstriper mentions.

How odd, I've just been browsing Fleabay and looking at Ashborys and was just considering posting a new thread asking for opinions, now this thread turns up and answers half of 'em !!
Maybe I will start the thread anyway and ask the one question that isnt answered here, are they 'fun' to play ?

[quote name='grumble' post='561629' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:16 AM']are they 'fun' to play ?[/quote]

Oh yes :)

and addictive,

but they can be infuriating too :rolleyes:

Beware buying a new one from the states on ebay - I've heard that there are some poor quality ones doing the rounds on there.
I would advise buying a new from [url="http://www.largesound.net/"]here[/url] or waiting for a used one to come up.

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='grumble' post='561629' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:16 AM']are they 'fun' to play ?[/quote]
Oh Yes! Great rubbery fun with a deep fundamental tone. Great fun for turning up with to jam nights. Often people that have never seen one before take the piss a bit
and then come back to ask all about it once they've heard the massive rich bass tone flowing from the speakers.

The most important thing to remember though is that although it has lines, it plays in tune if you treat it like an unlined fretless and play on the dots between the lines.

[quote name='redstriper' post='561531' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:06 PM']the second clip is with new strings which don't need talc[/quote]

Actually I used corn oil since it was much slippery than the talc and lasted longer (stinky as hell, though, but you cant use mineral oils with silicone rubber). Did they improve the strings somehow? I never heard of Ashbory strings that didnt need some kind of lubricant.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='562310' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:56 PM']Actually I used corn oil since it was much slippery than the talc and lasted longer (stinky as hell, though, but you cant use mineral oils with silicone rubber). Did they improve the strings somehow? I never heard of Ashbory strings that didnt need some kind of lubricant.[/quote]

There are some new alternative strings available which are quite different to the originals.
They are much stronger and don't need lubrication but you can use silicone spray.
Read about them on the Ashbory forum [url="http://www.largesound.net/bass/index.php/topic,653.0.html"]here[/url].