Why become a member? ×

Shuttle combo

onehappybunny

Considering going from the sublime (all tube) to the ridiculous (featherweight combo) in terms of weight, and looking at the shuttle combos with the nifty saddle contraption on the top. Would prefer to go for the 6.0 with more power and the tube pre, but the 3.0 is significantly cheaper

Really interested in the views of anyone who has or has tried the shuttle combos, especially about the quality of the speaker, how loud it would go, whether it would cope with with small / mid sized pub gigs etc.

Ta muchly :)

Edited by onehappybunny

[quote name='Musicman20' post='555587' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:05 PM']My experience would be to get the 6.0 head on its own and pair it with something still light, but slightly larger.[/quote]

Was thinking about that but the combo would be handy for practicing around the house... but only if it can cut it for small to mid sized gigs. If it can't, I may as well go the the route of light cab (compact, bergs etc.)

I have just bought a Shuttle 6 and I love it. I first played it through a borrowed Epifani 310 and it sounded amazing. I then bought the Genz Benz NEO 212 cab and this also sounds great. However, I feel the Epifani with the Shuttle 6 sounded better. Much crisper and precise sounding. However, I will add that I have not really had much chance to fiddle with the Shuttle 6 and NEO 212 together so in time, I may say this setup sounds better. Either way, the Shuttle 6 is awsome.

had the shuttle 6.0 and a single Neox 112T and didn't get on with the tube pre although it was light and loud. Sold it and bought the 3.0-10T Combo and and I'm really pleased i did. Both are well specced for di, aux in, headphones etc. I'm using it with a Neox 212 to get the full 300 watts and its loud!!!

The combos are also insanely light!

Edited by sk8

If your doing your pub gig with drums and two guitars the shuttle 3-10 combo will not be adequate. The 10 has a tendency to fart if you push it really hard.

I use the S 3-10 combo with a berg ae112, this sounds fantastic and copes with medium size gigs easily. We rehearse at low volumes, the combo is fine on its own for rehearsals.

I have just bought a second AE112! We did a festival in July and have another in August the shuttle combo and ae112 where not loud enough for on stage monitoring in a festival situation. I hope the shuttle 3 and two ae112s will do the trick. If not, then I plan to add a shuttle 6 to the arsenal.

Hope this helps

Steve

hi all,ive got a shuttle 6 and 2 neox112's.very easy to lug and very versatile having the two seperate cabs.deep,rich,yet fairly punchy still.done the big trace thing for 18 years but i think this current set up is actually better sounding anyway.after a gig i can be away in 5 mins if i want to.no more waiting for someone else to give me a lift!plenty bloody loud too.very pleased...though i'd like to try some bergantino 210's to see if they live up to the hype,but hey,thats another story...

In answer to your sub title "It Most Certainly Can". I have the Shuttle6 210T combo and a 112T Neox. Together they are the nuts. Great clarity punch and volume. At smaller gigs, I still take the 112T but dont connect it up, just using it to raise the combo and it has more than enough clout to carry the day. I had a slight clipping problem at the jam my band hosts when using the combo on its own with a couple of very bassy basses, but that was all down to my settings on the pre amp and is sorted. The combo is very loud, has great low end, but is very clear and precise in the mix. I wont be changing this rig and I would recommend it whole heartedly

[quote name='Linus27' post='555617' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:34 PM']I have just bought a Shuttle 6 and I love it. I first played it through a borrowed Epifani 310 and it sounded amazing. I then bought the Genz Benz NEO 212 cab and this also sounds great. However, I feel the Epifani with the Shuttle 6 sounded better. Much crisper and precise sounding. However, I will add that I have not really had much chance to fiddle with the Shuttle 6 and NEO 212 together so in time, I may say this setup sounds better. Either way, the Shuttle 6 is awsome.[/quote]
hi mike, in answer to you're question of my amp settings,i tend to run the shuttle 6,starting left to right;tube preamp at 1'o clock.volume 12'o clock.low 12.o5.mid at 12.o5.mid freq at12 and high at 9'oclock.as you can tell im not the technical sort but this gives me a nice what i term 'rich smooth non boxy 'tone.thats with an alembic stanley bass.think the whole set up is quite middly anyway but i dont like a boomy sound anyway.ive never heard a neox212 i must admit.jeff genzler said 2 x 112 neoxs would give a fuller sound than a single 212 he reckoned so i trusted his judgement and got em.one persons idea of a good tone may not be anothers i guess but im pleased with things.sorry i cant give you a more technical assessment.all the best of luck,regards jeff

[quote name='tubbybloke68' post='557367' date='Jul 31 2009, 07:14 PM']hi mike, in answer to you're question of my amp settings,i tend to run the shuttle 6,starting left to right;tube preamp at 1'o clock.volume 12'o clock.low 12.o5.mid at 12.o5.mid freq at12 and high at 9'oclock.as you can tell im not the technical sort but this gives me a nice what i term 'rich smooth non boxy 'tone.thats with an alembic stanley bass.think the whole set up is quite middly anyway but i dont like a boomy sound anyway.ive never heard a neox212 i must admit.jeff genzler said 2 x 112 neoxs would give a fuller sound than a single 212 he reckoned so i trusted his judgement and got em.one persons idea of a good tone may not be anothers i guess but im pleased with things.sorry i cant give you a more technical assessment.all the best of luck,regards jeff[/quote]

So thats basically everything running flat apart from the high at 9 o' Clock which is just adding some treble right??

I'm running my Shuttle 6 with a Schroeder 1212L. I would like to have went for one of the combos but I don't have access to one to try and fear it would not give enough volume when using it as a monitor.

I run the preamp and gain almost full on as I like the slightly dirty sound it gives with the output volume round about 9 o'clock. Everything else almost at 12 o'clock.

[quote name='Linus27' post='557420' date='Jul 31 2009, 08:45 PM']So thats basically everything running flat apart from the high at 9 o' Clock which is just adding some treble right??[/quote]
yeah thats what i like about the shuttle,the fact that i think it sounds good with everything set basically flat apart from the odd tweek here and there...simple..like me! i have used a single 112x cab for small pubs which sounds suprisingly good too.i have the tweeters set at 25%.i think its very true that what sounds like a good bass sound when you,re right in front of the amp playing to yourself is not nescessarly the right tone to cut through the mix and be heard at the gig!

[quote name='tubbybloke68' post='558051' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:07 PM']yeah thats what i like about the shuttle,the fact that i think it sounds good with everything set basically flat apart from the odd tweek here and there...simple..like me! i have used a single 112x cab for small pubs which sounds suprisingly good too.i have the tweeters set at 25%.i think its very true that what sounds like a good bass sound when you,re right in front of the amp playing to yourself is not nescessarly the right tone to cut through the mix and be heard at the gig![/quote]

The problem I am having is I am getting to much mids but can't seem to work out how to dial it out. Probably sound great live :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='558057' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:17 PM']The problem I am having is I am getting to much mids but can't seem to work out how to dial it out. Probably sound great live :)[/quote]
well this is the thing! i thought the same when i first got mine,that prehaps it had too much of a mid 'hump' but that changed when i got to gigging with it.to my ears it cuts through the mix better that way.sometimes you have to sacrifice a little something.like when i had my old trace ah300,the 'famous' pre set sounds were beautiful to behold when it was just you playing, but to my ears useless with the rest of the band,just getting lost in the mix.im not slagging t elliot by the way,because it done stirling service for 18 years without so much as a blip!just what i found with it.the shuttle certainly has that mid 'hump'i think most people would agree,whether its the right sound for you time will tell.im going to get drunk now cos its sat night and just sometimes its nice not to have a gig! all the best,jeff

[quote name='tubbybloke68' post='558079' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:15 PM']well this is the thing! i thought the same when i first got mine,that prehaps it had too much of a mid 'hump' but that changed when i got to gigging with it.to my ears it cuts through the mix better that way.sometimes you have to sacrifice a little something.like when i had my old trace ah300,the 'famous' pre set sounds were beautiful to behold when it was just you playing, but to my ears useless with the rest of the band,just getting lost in the mix.im not slagging t elliot by the way,because it done stirling service for 18 years without so much as a blip!just what i found with it.the shuttle certainly has that mid 'hump'i think most people would agree,whether its the right sound for you time will tell.im going to get drunk now cos its sat night and just sometimes its nice not to have a gig! all the best,jeff[/quote]

I think your right and in a few weeks time, I'll get to find out as I do my first gig with it. Really can't wait. Oh and I see you have an Ibanex Musician. Very yummy bass.

So, are you drunk yet?? :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='558094' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:48 PM']I think your right and in a few weeks time, I'll get to find out as I do my first gig with it. Really can't wait. Oh and I see you have an Ibanex Musician. Very yummy bass.

So, are you drunk yet?? :)[/quote]
im sober again now but yeah i was 'away with the fairys' last night.paying the price today though! rough as a badgers a***hole.i never learn.yeah ive had an ibanez musician since 82 or 83 cant remember exactly when.it was my main bass for 20 years!bit battered now but still an absolutely amazing bass.very very well built and lovely tones.actually when using that with the shuttle i find i have to boost the highs to 3'0clock whereas with the alembic i take em down to 9.best of luck when you gig your shuttle,let us know how you get on and stuff regards jeff

[quote name='Linus27' post='555617' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:34 PM']I have just bought a Shuttle 6 and I love it. I first played it through a borrowed Epifani 310 and it sounded amazing. I then bought the Genz Benz NEO 212 cab and this also sounds great. However, I feel the Epifani with the Shuttle 6 sounded better. Much crisper and precise sounding. However, I will add that I have not really had much chance to fiddle with the Shuttle 6 and NEO 212 together so in time, I may say this setup sounds better. Either way, the Shuttle 6 is awsome.[/quote]

Just to say, put new strings on my bass tonight and all the crisp, precise sound is back and the Shuttle and cab sound amazing so a very happy bunny.