Why become a member? ×

loved the kinks

mrcrow

[quote name='acidbass' post='553013' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:31 PM']My personal favourite :)

Great band! I am almost positive that if I had have been born in 1949, I would enjoy going to gigs so much more than I do now![/quote]

Being only a short way off that vintage myself, I find getting most of my contemporaries to gigs (ours or anyone else's) is uphill work. What with "the music's too loud", "I get backache", "I like to be in bed by 9:30", "My bladder's too weak". They seem to have been so shagged out by the summer of love, they haven't been to a gig since.

:lol: : :D :rolleyes:

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='acidbass' post='553013' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:31 PM']My personal favourite :)

Great band! I am almost positive that if I had have been born in 1949, I would enjoy going to gigs so much more than I do now![/quote]

One of my favourite Kinks tracks along with "Victoria". I think they were a fantastic band, along with the Who and The Small Faces.

London music at its finest.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='553732' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:44 AM']One of my favourite Kinks tracks along with "Victoria". I think they were a fantastic band, along with the Who and The Small Faces.

London music at its finest.[/quote]

Absolutely. I'm very much in the middle of a mod revival phase which has lasted for the last couple of years now, fantastic music.

[quote name='acidbass' post='554054' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:34 PM']Absolutely. I'm very much in the middle of a mod revival phase which has lasted for the last couple of years now, fantastic music.[/quote]

i always wanted to work in london
i eventually got there from scotland in 1980 at the age of 37
i stood on waterloo bridge coming home from the office on evening and the old kinks number boosted my spirit
i knew what they meant

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDoDaCYrEY"]waterloo sunset[/url]

another great band was the hollies

this is another great song...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0WPC-N3UYE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0WPC-N3UYE...feature=related[/url]

Some topical social commentary in the lyrics too. Apparently the BBC tried to ban the video because "it was in poor taste".

I had a question in a university law exam a few years ago that started something like this:

"[i]Terry meets Julie at Waterloo Station on Friday night...[/i]". :)

[i]You Really Got Me[/i] was probably the first hard rock tune ever.

I remember hearing a story about Dave Davies throwing his guitar at the drummer's head one gig, knocking him out, drawing blood from his head, then running off-stage and hiding for three days because he thought he'd killed him. Now [i]that's[/i] rock n' roll!