Why become a member? ×

Haslip Slap

Pete Academy

[quote name='Faithless' post='547021' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:08 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYmf1LJg8V8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYmf1LJg8V8...feature=related[/url]

Here Keith goes! :)[/quote]

Blimey!!! I know of this guy but it's the first time I've seen him play. And I want a Warrior now!

One of my teachers at college, Terry Gregory, also played in this style - left-handed and upside down. It really was a sight to behold and so impressive that he was able to make exactly the same sounds as someone slapping with their thumb, rather than index finger. I believe he took a lot of influence from Jimmy Haslip, having a similar approach.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='547279' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:23 AM']One of my teachers at college, Terry Gregory, also played in this style - left-handed and upside down. It really was a sight to behold and so impressive that he was able to make exactly the same sounds as someone slapping with their thumb, rather than index finger. I believe he took a lot of influence from Jimmy Haslip, having a similar approach.[/quote]

He's one of my teachers too, I've always been amazed at how he plays.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='547279' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:23 AM']One of my teachers at college, Terry Gregory, also played in this style - left-handed and upside down. It really was a sight to behold and so impressive that he was able to make exactly the same sounds as someone slapping with their thumb, rather than index finger. I believe he took a lot of influence from Jimmy Haslip, having a similar approach.[/quote]

I was about to mention Terry and there you go getting in there first! Mr. Gregory was truly a great bass player and a really nice bloke. I remember one lesson on Clave when he was stomping his foot in four, clapping a clave and singing a bass line over the top (or some variation). That impressed me.

It was Terry's recommendation that turned me on to the Yellowjackets and Mr. Haslip.

Lee Pomeroy, who recently toured with Take That and has played bass for Rick Wakeman for several years now, is another left-handed upside-down genius.

I remember many a Saturday afternoon spent in Rockbottom watching him do stuff I could never hope to play right-handed and the right way up! :) Absolutely awesome...and a thoroughly nice bloke to boot!

Saw Lee playing with It Bites, great player. Made me wonder if he (and others in similar mode) started out as a lefty playing a RH bass by flipping it upside down without restringing and then got so used to it when they got a proper LH instrument they had to keep the strings upside down? it was the only scenario I could come up with why anyone would deliberately play strings in that orientation. I think the guy from Doves has the whole thing upside down without restringing too.

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='547494' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:52 PM']Lee Pomeroy, who recently toured with Take That and has played bass for Rick Wakeman for several years now, is another left-handed upside-down genius.

I remember many a Saturday afternoon spent in Rockbottom watching him do stuff I could never hope to play right-handed and the right way up! :) Absolutely awesome...and a thoroughly nice bloke to boot![/quote]

I was a Saturday-afternoon Rockbottom dweller for quite a few years, and I must admit that Lee is probably the person who inspired me the most to get better back in my early days. Some of the stuff he used to play was mind-boggling. Did you ever see his band Moondigger, back in the day?

[quote name='Russ' post='547814' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:42 PM']Did you ever see his band Moondigger, back in the day?[/quote]

Yep, I went to quite a few of their gigs in the Croydon area. F***king awesome!

In fact, I still have a copy of their "7 Song Demo" on cassette tape in the car. It still gets played regularly!

Dave Colquhoun was their guitarist. He also worked at RB and has also played in Wakeman's New English Rock Ensemble with Lee. I think Dave won the Guitarist of the Year competition many moons ago too. Very talented guys - glad to see they've managed to get carreers in the biz.

For a while back in the early 90's I played bass in a band called Skittle Alley - it was kind of the Rockbottom 'house band'. Lee kindly got me the gig and was the only one in the shop, along with Dave C, who wasn't involved. Luckily for me it wasn't his kind of thing!

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='548713' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:22 AM']Yep, I went to quite a few of their gigs in the Croydon area. F***king awesome!

In fact, I still have a copy of their "7 Song Demo" on cassette tape in the car. It still gets played regularly!

Dave Colquhoun was their guitarist. He also worked at RB and has also played in Wakeman's New English Rock Ensemble with Lee. I think Dave won the Guitarist of the Year competition many moons ago too. Very talented guys - glad to see they've managed to get carreers in the biz.

For a while back in the early 90's I played bass in a band called Skittle Alley - it was kind of the Rockbottom 'house band'. Lee kindly got me the gig and was the only one in the shop, along with Dave C, who wasn't involved. Luckily for me it wasn't his kind of thing![/quote]

Last time I saw Dave (ran into him in Bromley a couple of years back), he was playing guitar in the We Will Rock You house band. He's also married to Jay Aston, formerly of Buck's Fizz! :)

Yep, saw Moondigger at the Cartoon loads of times. I've still got several of their demos, as well as their 423 album - still gets the occasional play, but I actually think the tunes on the old tapes were better! There was a great tune called "Dreams" that had loads of different parts (including a slap solo), and then there was that period where they had a lead singer (some bloke called Huck) - with him, they did a tune called "Family Song" that had an awesome picked bass part that was part of my warm-up routine for many years! :rolleyes: