Why become a member? ×

Bargain Basses

BarnacleBob

Shockarooni!!!
Status t-bass with original case sells for £330 on e-Bay???? The last one I saw went for 700+ i think
Current list with graphite neck is £1300
I know basses are only worth what people are willing to pay for them but is the market totally fecked just now.
Is there anything recession proof?

BB

I dont think i had heard of the Zoot til I joined BC. :)
There is stuff on the For sale forum at prices people would have trampled their own granny to get that is just not shifting in these cash strapped days.
Like most people i have GAS which will only be satisfied by selling a bass(es) I have.
So do u bite the bullet and sell for less than u anticipated in hope of finding replacement at similairly reduced bargain price?

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='544168' date='Jul 18 2009, 05:42 PM']Is there anything recession proof?[/quote]
JapCrap. Since all this belt-tightening & crunchy credit began, it's seemed to me that people are not abstaining from GAS indulgence, but re-focussing on the lower end of the market. I've seen cheapo (and sometimes crappo) vintage basses & guitars fetching some scandalously silly money. Rickenbacker copies have gone particularly mental, the record currently being £656, and even the more lowly examples fetching between £350 - £500. Broadly speaking I'd say they're getting 20% odd more than they were two years ago, and much the same's true with other MIJ & MIK stuff.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='544329' date='Jul 18 2009, 09:14 PM']JapCrap. Since all this belt-tightening & crunchy credit began, it's seemed to me that people are not abstaining from GAS indulgence, but re-focussing on the lower end of the market. I've seen cheapo (and sometimes crappo) vintage basses & guitars fetching some scandalously silly money. Rickenbacker copies have gone particularly mental, the record currently being £656, and even the more lowly examples fetching between £350 - £500. Broadly speaking I'd say they're getting 20% odd more than they were two years ago, and much the same's true with other MIJ & MIK stuff.

Jon.[/quote]

This does not bode well for my all Tommy(and one Jerry) collection :)

BB

2003-ish I bought a '91 Thumb off eBay for £670.

A couple of months ago I watched the guy I bought it from buy a replacement - another '91 model - for £1185.

I suppose it depends who's around. But to be honest I wouldn't let mine go for either of those prices. The last guy I had do fret work on it asked how much one of these would cost, his estimate was £2000, based on what he remembered from old price lists and how much fun him and his bassist mate had playing it during the 24hr it spent with him. He was shocked when I explained how fashion had dumped the prices down to silly money.

Prices are purely what people will pay, once you get beyond Fenders and Stingrays, I think. There's a fairly static value on those, but not on anything else.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='544551' date='Jul 19 2009, 10:31 AM']Status basses are just not 'hip' right at the moment...there's still a big retro Punk-esque thing going on and the market is for vintage-y looking stuff.[/quote]

This was one of their active Jazz clones from the 90s - I already have one but was bidding on this one as well but took my eye off the ball :)

BB

Despite the recent economic goings-on Fenders still bring in the cash due to current fashions and heritage, but the market is indeed quite depressed at the moment if you're selling anything else.....

Having said that, isn't the new-wave revival / indie landill scene on its last legs now?

Edited by rjb