Why become a member? ×

STATUS S2 Circa 1989 **SOLD**

dodgnofski

Circa 1989 Status S2 with really low, playable action & lots of mojo!

Ungigged since returning from having oodles of TLC applied by Rob himself at Status Graphite + frets dressed & a legendary 'Rob' set up (the best I've ever seen)! Albeit at a cost akin to the National Debt of a small country, but worth every penny - the Guys at Status really know what they are doing & I can recommend their service & skill without hesitation.

Original 'properly' through the body graphite neck that is straight & true.

Birds eye maple facings to the wings & walnut? on the back.

Comes complete with the original Status Flightcase, which due to it's age - could do with the foam being replaced at some point.

In unbelievable condition for a bass of this age & plays like the preverbial dream, having a superfast neck & fingerboard.

If you put "Status Bass Guitar" in youtube - you can see it being demonstrated by the Guy, who the Guy I bought from, bought it from (what)?? & after a holiday at 'Rob's Place' - the few tiny 'dings' mentioned in the video - have been polished out by Status & you'd never know they were ever there!

Won't be heatbroken if I have to keep this beauty, - I 'may' be interested in a trade, such as a smaller bodied(?) due to my 'glass' back! Kingbass - with black hardware, or a really nice old Jazz/Precision, or Sadowsky etc - W.H.Y??

Edited by dodgnofski

Hi, I don't know what it's worth (help)? - I know it owes me an amount similar to the national debt of a small country - but what the heck & I 'really' hope someone doesn't offer enough to make me have to part with 'my best friend'! - but 'needs must' :rolleyes: - bugger!

thankyou to everyone for your interest :) ps - 'bugger'!!

[quote name='pal1972' post='542310' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:26 PM']how much you lookin' for?[/quote]

The serial number is 487 & according to Dawn at Status Graphite, was made in either December 1989, or January 1990?

thankyou for your interest & the 'bump' much appreciated - ta.

cheers,

Tim

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='542714' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:43 PM']Fantastic!

Whats the serial number? I had one with a red pinstripe laminate which was I think #483.

Bump![/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='542830' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:13 AM']That is a proper Status, not like the wishy-washy toned-down things they make now. This is before they realised that people had taste and wouldn't buy futuristic guitars. I've never liked them but y'know, if you're going to do it, do it like you mean it.

:)[/quote]

That' the biggest load of crap I've heard on this forum for a long time.....

[quote name='dodgnofski' post='542761' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:30 PM']The serial number is 487 & according to Dawn at Status Graphite, was made in either December 1989, or January 1990?

thankyou for your interest & the 'bump' much appreciated - ta.

cheers,

Tim[/quote]
I own 467 which is definitely a 1989. It's exactly like yours but with a cocobolo top. One sexy bass. Mine has the green laminate stripe as well - do you know what it is?

Good luck with the sale, but I've never forgiven myself for letting my Series 2000 go all those years ago.

Bump!

[quote name='lapolpora' post='543634' date='Jul 17 2009, 09:55 PM']I own 467 which is definitely a 1989. It's exactly like yours but with a cocobolo top. One sexy bass. Mine has the green laminate stripe as well - do you know what it is?

Good luck with the sale, but I've never forgiven myself for letting my Series 2000 go all those years ago.

Bump![/quote]

Just for info - the `laminate stripe' veneers came/come in a number of different colours - its actually stained maple!

All those knocking the `modern' Status basses - very very naughty! I love the older Status basses but the new models are incredible - the build quality is spot on, as is the tone and playability. Nuff said!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='543738' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:54 AM']Just for info - the `laminate stripe' veneers came/come in a number of different colours - its actually stained maple!

All those knocking the `modern' Status basses - very very naughty! I love the older Status basses but the new models are incredible - the build quality is spot on, as is the tone and playability. Nuff said![/quote]

+1000

Not played one of the 'new ones' - but just prefer a 'through the body neck' to actually 'go through' the body.

To my 'very' old eyes, in the pictures of the 'new ones' - it seems as though it doesn't 'go all the way through' - if I'm wrong -please excuse my ignorance!

[quote name='crez5150' post='543751' date='Jul 18 2009, 07:18 AM']+1000[/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='542830' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:13 AM']That is a proper Status, not like the wishy-washy toned-down things they make now. This is before they realised that people had taste and wouldn't buy futuristic guitars. I've never liked them but y'know, if you're going to do it, do it like you mean it.

:)[/quote]

Hmm....I'd say the current "Streamline" model or Kingbass MK1 is even more "futuristic" than any of the earlier stuff....and they sure do sell....hence the four month waiting list from Rob for a new one...
I guess i'ts all about opinions but that post really does read like someone who's never even seen the current Status line,let alone played or owned one... :rolleyes:

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='543974' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:05 PM']4 month waiting list just means they dont make very many - the reason they dont make very many is they sell far more headed basses than headless now.
It isnt worth their while ramping up production.

Headless basses are a niche market.

BB[/quote]

I think there's perhaps a little confusion here! They still make a lot of headless basses, I've seen them all racked up in Rob's set up room - loads of em (in fact it looks a bit like my spare room!). The waiting list comes from the fact that they are snowed under with orders from all over the world.

Have a bump!

Don't get me wrong, i would have this in a minute! I love headless graphite basses! but I am (we are) in the minority.
Perhaps rather than lacking in taste people are just terribly old-fashioned.
Although, paradoxically, they do have an 80s vibe to them.

I think these and the 2000(?) and their modern equivalent (not the s1 body) is the peak of Status production.

BB

Hmm, think I upset some Status-lovers. I meant to be nice about the seller's instrument, I quite like it in a nostalgic sort-of way, although I'm not a potential customer. But I still think people who buy things like the Streamline are off their heads. That's maybe the ugliest bass I've ever seen.