Why become a member? ×

MARK BASS

Nate

Hello all.

I own an Epifani 502 which I bought used and has crapped out on me twice during gigs resulting in it going back for repair twice. Hopefully it will be fine now. It's an incredible amp which I love to bits. I usually always travel with a backup but after replacing my entire Eden rig with an Epifani amp and cabinet I didn't have the funds yet to buy a spare amp.

After the amp failed on me during a festival gig a couple of weeks ago I decided I had to buy a backup and went for a Little Mark II from the Bass Gallery in Camden.

I can honestly say that this amp is too good to be used just as a spare. The simplicity, size, light weight and portability of the amp has blown me and everyone else away. Sound engineers laugh when I take it out of the gig bag. A guy in Holland said last week "Don't tell me that's going to be loud enough...?" to which I replied "Wait and see!" He was shocked.

I've also read the threads on talkbass.com which mention the fall off a few feet in front of the amp. I have noticed this on stage but I've also had comments from audience members at a gig without PA in a marquee who told me the sound of the amp filled the room.

I find the flat tone to be a little too middly with my '75 Precision, so I boost a little bit of low and low mid and have the VPF knob at around 10 o'clock. Sounds nice and warm.

I am totally satisfied with this amplifier and recommend it without hesitation. I shall be taking it to Spain for a gig on Friday as hand luggage. The gig bag doubles as a nice man bag!

Edited by funkmunky

Nice one funkmunky.

Ok, here a question for LMK/LMII owners and maybe SA450 owners as well.

when doing bigger gigs with PA support do you set your LMII's DI to pre EQ?
I do with my SA450 but then it has a switch that makes it easier.
Im just wondering if its worth me changing the jumper over in the LMII and leaving it like that.

The thing is i know sound guys like as clean a sginal as possible and dont like you to mess with the sound that thay receive but after a few big gigs last year where i was DI'ed from my SA450 i didnt like the full range sound i was getting. This isnt down to the amp, just the way my sound was mixed and im thinking it would be nice to have the VLE in the loop to cut down on some of the top end that I hate and sound guys try and bring out.

Im not wanting to get in to a debate about PA's DI's etc, just wondering who does what at a gig.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='9587' date='May 30 2007, 10:53 PM']Dang, why can't we do as EVH did and describe it in shades/tones of colour? I like chocolatey brown with a dash of fresh cream.[/quote]

My sound at the moment is too green brown I am looking for a more purple blue, seriously...well kinda

I would love to try some markbass stuff at some point. Anyone know of a stockist in central Scotland

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='20828' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:10 PM']I would love to try an Epifani amp but they cost so much more than a MB head i cant justify it.[/quote]

I had the utter misfortune to have to play an Epi 902 (??) the big daddy to the 502. Aww how depressing.. i really - i just cant oh.......

That and the EBS TD650 had me excited like a school girl. Shaweeet!

[quote name='Waldo' post='9807' date='May 31 2007, 12:08 PM']Mark Bass amps do strike me as being a bit fad-ish. It was the same with EBS amps when they first started taking off, everyone going on about how amazing they were. Well, until Mark Bass came along :huh:[/quote] :) Yeah, my thoughts exactly! :huh:

Not tried the Markbass gear yet, so cannot offer comments. It's very nice to see a good range of split opinions here though, I'd hate to see them getting completely universal praise or rubbishing.

yeah I see how they seem 2 be 'fad-ish' but often fads start coz the gear IS good! Look at Hartke( I know alotta ppl bag em now--but inlate 80's or early '90's EVERY ONE was playin 'em!!!! I DIDn't like em then, but after a number of times using them I've found they make solid amps, that can get a nice sound out of 'em( & I don't like ALMOST any solid state/hybrid gear much) Hartke today IMHO are a BARGAIN!
The Mark BASS LMII- I got -as it was at agreat price, had plenty of power & was EASY to move/transport! Now I find I'm liking it more as I use it- U DO have to have the gain UP -just backed off from clipping tho- amp seems to throw out more, open up & be more punchy like this!

[quote name='Nate' post='7555' date='May 27 2007, 12:17 PM']Think I'm gonna have to try a few more before I spend...

I had a go on Laney's new bass stuff at the guitar show - didn't really like any of it. It weighed more then a house.

I think my next purchase will be between EBS and MARK. Think MARK has the edge at the minute...
heres my video again (shameless..!) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0[/url][/quote]

Woooooooooooah! Thats funky as sh*t man! Love it!

Adam

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='22337' date='Jun 23 2007, 02:32 PM']Wow you managed to get the cab in the bag as well?!?! :)[/quote]

Yeah, i thought i should change the text but wanted to see what you lot came up with.

Actually the cab is just the bag inside out ;-)

Cool, I will nip in to blacks tomorrow (I work around the corner).

I need a new bag for my Shure SLX wireless, toolkit, leads, ipod, microtrack, leads, bla bla bla (my LMII goes in the MB bag, as you know), as the strap on my RokSak bag broke, so this looks to be the ticket.

LMII bag high on right shoulder, Blacks bag lower on same shoulder, 2 bass gigbags in right hand, cab in left hand. Job done.

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='23280' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:58 PM']Cool, I will nip in to blacks tomorrow (I work around the corner).

I need a new bag for my Shure SLX wireless, toolkit, leads, ipod, microtrack, leads, bla bla bla (my LMII goes in the MB bag, as you know), as the strap on my RokSak bag broke, so this looks to be the ticket.

LMII bag high on right shoulder, Blacks bag lower on same shoulder, 2 bass gigbags in right hand, cab in left hand. Job done.

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

Nice one. good luck finding the bag. I didnt go out to get it but i only saw one by chance and it was the last one. Im sure they are around though.
I got a £40 laptop bag just after i got my LMII and while its slightly bigger it didnt have a handle on trhe top and i really missed that. Then i got the Blacks one and thought it was perfect untill i got my new AKG system. Its a bit of a tight fit now but it all goes in.
I now have to try and get the AKG in my large MB bag i use for my SA450. Its slightly bigger than the AKG GB system as it has the arial connectors sticking out the back but im sure it will fit somehow.
Oh for the old days where we had large flight cases that you could almost fit in (and a big van to move it all)

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='23290' date='Jun 25 2007, 11:13 PM']lol, yeah, when I used my old big MB head, Korg Rack Tuner and wireless all in a Gator 4U it kind of made it easier (if not heavier). Still, only need a little rig now, so this will do nicely.

Thanks for your help[/quote]

No problem.

Off to bed now.

Night.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='23290' date='Jun 25 2007, 11:13 PM']lol, yeah, when I used my old big MB head, Korg Rack Tuner and wireless all in a Gator 4U it kind of made it easier (if not heavier). Still, only need a little rig now, so this will do nicely.

Thanks for your help[/quote]

This came up in another thread today - double gig bag on wheels with big pocket...
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_double_bag_trolley_ebass.htm?partner_id=82764"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_double_bag...artner_id=82764[/url]
Ibanez make a bunch of interesting bags with mark bass sized pockets attached ...
Mind you I'm not sure I want my bass and amp sharing a gig bag ...