Why become a member? ×

Shuker Bolt On 5 string

OldGit

Number Two Shuker's on the way.

The brief was about playability and sounds rather than the tech spec. One of Jon's Super Powers is to take a list of sound and playability requirements and to convert that into exactly the right bass.

I told Jon I was so happy with the feel and pure enjoyment I get from playing the P5 that I wanted it to be just like that. As we had gone through the very difficult defining process for the Precision build, Jon and I have a very good idea of what that entails for me. However I don't want a Precision body for this one so that adds some fun challenges.

So I just said "I want one that feels the same but sounds totally different - modern, Marcus, with loads of possible tonal variety. It also has to have a whole lot more visual [size=4][b][color="#8B0000"]WOW![/color][/b][/size] factor for the general public"

Call me shallow but the public (and even bass players) don't look at the P5 and go "wow" .. Not surprising as the brief was to make it look like James Jamerson's '62 Precision. So to most people it just looks like another Fender or Squier or Jim Deacon. That was the plan and that was what we achieved. I just didn't realise I wanted people to notice it as much as I do ..
See, get a custom bass made and discover unknown bits of your personality. Will the benefits never cease? :)

So ... what will it have?

5 strings, 21 frets, same profile neck as the P5 - That's very wide and very slim.
Figured maple fingerboard on a maple neck with no dots but orange sidelights. (thanks to Rich for the example :huh:)
White Ash body with an as yet undecided upon purdy top (That's purdy as in "hey you got a purdy mouth, boy" rather than a picture of Joanna Lumley, though I have still to rule that out as an option ...)
Still considering headstock facing in the same wood .. or maybe a picture of Emma Peel in that leather cat suit ... hum now there's an idea ... :huh:
Plain back with plastic cavity covers.

3 over 2 "Shuker Shape" headstock with lightweight tuners probably Gotoh's.
Straplocks of course...
Monorail bridge with 19mm spacing.

Electronics will be a pair of Nordstrand DC5 pickups with the Serial option (switchable), Jon's 3 band EQ and Active/Passive switching.
The knobs will be around the outside of the body to avoid colliding with them during pick play. I notice I'm not alone in that one eh Mr Russ? :huh:

The hardware will be black but I may be tempted to emulate Rich further (he is my hero!) and get some wooden knobs... However as I like minimal knobs and switches I may see if we can use stacks so I may not be able to use woodies ...

The light switch will be hidden on the back as per my P5 ..

This bass has actually been on Jon's order book for a while and the neck is already well progressed but as I have the delightful P5 already, and Jon is busy with lots of orders, being flooded, summer vacs etc I said there's no rush.

So .. My dilemma now is to choose a front wood from the virtual version of THE WOOD STORE Jon has sent me ..
That chewing gum front on EntropicLQD's left-handed bass is truly stunning - loads of WOW there ....

Tricky ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Tinman' post='56457' date='Sep 6 2007, 12:38 PM']Nice specs Si. If only I was in your position and talking about a new build (and I haven't even got the first one - the wife will kill me haha)[/quote]

Give it time :) How's your 14 week sojourn looking?

Nice one Si,
you kept quiet about this one!

Really cool specs.
What body style are you gonna go for then?
Fancy joining is Single Cut Perverts?

For your purdy wood top, if I was you, I'd maybe go for a dark figured wood to contrast with the maple board, maybe a nice bit of cocobolo...

Something like this?

Reckon that's looks the mutz!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='56512' date='Sep 6 2007, 01:45 PM']Nice one Si,
you kept quiet about this one!

Really cool specs.
What body style are you gonna go for then?
Fancy joining is Single Cut Perverts?

For your purdy wood top, if I was you, I'd maybe go for a dark figured wood to contrast with the maple board, maybe a nice bit of cocobolo...

Something like this?

Reckon that's looks the mutz!

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Yeah well I wasn't entirely certain it would go ahead .. had to swing a few things ...
Single cut? ha ha nah look daft with 21 frets :)
It will be a version of his modern bolt on shape but modified because it's not a two octave.

The requirements also need the strap pivots, bridge, 5th fret at to all be in the same place as the precision to minimise teh change over adjustments, and cos the P5 works so well, so it will have to be a bit different ..

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='56590' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:42 PM']Ah yes ... I know all about that problem. I'm thinking (well fantasising) about a matching fretless. Mmmmm.[/quote]

Me too!
I want, in fact, need a 6 string fretless and a shortscale 4 string!

GAS is a truly horrible thing isn't it...

Looking forward to seeing how Jon reworks the standard shape for the 21 frets, it's gonna be a sweet bass regardless!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='OldGit' post='56447' date='Sep 6 2007, 12:28 PM']Number Two Shuker's on the way.

Call me shallow but the public (and even bass players) don't look at the P5 and go "wow" ..[/quote]

Have to say mate, even though I only saw it briefly in the boot of your car in a rainy car park - I definitely thought Wow!

[quote name='eude' post='56595' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:53 PM']Looking forward to seeing how Jon reworks the standard shape for the 21 frets, it's gonna be a sweet bass regardless![/quote]

He's done one already so it's not a prototype (phew!)
I trust him though

[quote name='stewblack' post='56704' date='Sep 6 2007, 09:23 PM']Have to say mate, even though I only saw it briefly in the boot of your car in a rainy car park - I definitely thought Wow![/quote]

Aw ta mate .. could you arrange to be at every gig then? t'average punter only goes wow at the "training lights" on the side of the neck :)

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='56714' date='Sep 6 2007, 09:52 PM']ah! i was the same, Tinmans buckeye got me going, but then John R Posted a georgous Thumb bass in the for sale section, so i think my 2nd shuker will have to wait a while[/quote]
What? You mean I don't get to play spot the wild animal with your build? That's not fair. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='56711' date='Sep 6 2007, 09:47 PM']Aw ta mate .. could you arrange to be at every gig then? t'average punter only goes wow at the "training lights" on the side of the neck :)[/quote]
Hey - some of us have an eye for quality and if you're really completely fed up with it and just couldn't be bothered to ask anyone for money I'd be prepared to take it off your hands. Shall we meet at Magor as per usual? No, no you don't need to thank me.

[quote name='stewblack' post='56810' date='Sep 7 2007, 07:56 AM']Hey - some of us have an eye for quality and if you're really completely fed up with it and just couldn't be bothered to ask anyone for money I'd be prepared to take it off your hands. Shall we meet at Magor as per usual? No, no you don't need to thank me.[/quote]

Oh Would you really?
Thanks, mate

:) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Tinman' post='56457' date='Sep 6 2007, 12:38 PM']Nice specs Si. If only I was in your position and talking about a new build (and I haven't even got the first one - the wife will kill me haha)[/quote]

The first one? :)

The [b][i]first[/i][/b] one????????????????? :huh: :huh:

Don't think I don't know what's going on here :huh:

Old Git and Tinman the pair of yous are now officially under increased surveillance :ph34r:

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='56897' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:47 AM']The first one? :)

The [b][i]first[/i][/b] one????????????????? :huh: :huh:

Don't think I don't know what's going on here :huh:

Old Git and Tinman the pair of yous are now officially under increased surveillance :ph34r:[/quote]

Ah that explains the mystery van outside my house ..

Ok After several days looking through hundreds of images of very pretty basses and wood samples and stuff I've finally decided on the facing wood ..
It's going to be camphor burl, body and headstock, with Jon's "8 mile deep" gloss finish and should end up looking remarkably like this one that Jon made earlier:

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Tinman' post='59166' date='Sep 12 2007, 11:27 AM']Damned good choice SAA![/quote]

Ta

A very close second was the next slice from your buckeye burl log .. :)
We spent hours sitting and looking at all the shapes in thepatterns in the picture of it I took when I was at Jon's .. animals, devils, frogs riding Stuka's loads of stuff and were even sober :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='59176' date='Sep 12 2007, 11:47 AM']Ta

A very close second was the next slice from your buckeye burl log .. :)
We spent hours sitting and looking at all the shapes in thepatterns in the picture of it I took when I was at Jon's .. animals, devils, frogs riding Stuka's loads of stuff and were even sober :huh:[/quote]
You Sir, are as mad as my good lady wife: frogs, sloths etc